removing rear window trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing rear window trim?

for a 58 President, what is the best way to remove the rear window stainless. I also have to remove the stainless around the top of the fin. This is to make a paint repair where the rear quarter meets the area at the bottom of the window. I showed it to the body shop and they would prefer if I remove the mouldings. thanks in advance for the help, Jim R

Jim Rostron
    Jim Rostron

If it's like all other Studebakers, you remove the rear window. The stainless is embedded in the rubber.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 510 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

If it's like all other Studebakers, you remove the rear window. The stainless is embedded in the rubber.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction 510 hrs.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

Go here for problem understanding.

It all comes out at the same time: rubber, glass and stainless.
        [u]Don't</u> take the stainless out separately.

Lark Parker
        If at first you don't succeed -- you will get a lot of advice.
        sigpic
        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Ok, it all comes out at the same time, Is there a trick to it, so as not to crack the window? and any tricks to removing the fin trim? great info so far. thank you

Jim Rostron
          Jim Rostron

Comment

Ok, it all comes out at the same time, Is there a trick to it, so as not to crack the window? and any tricks to removing the fin trim? great info so far. thank you

Jim Rostron
            Jim Rostron

Comment

The body metal fits in a slot "between two lips" of rubber. Generally, the the procedure is to cut the inside lip off the rubber.

The inside lip is cut off so that the entire assembly can be gently pushed out to the capable, waiting hands of your two assistants who have already picked out a place to lay it down safely on a pad.

Then Bubba will come in and trip over it.

The cutting off is done because the rubber is too hardened to work past the metal (body) edge. If it were a new recently installed rubber molding that was still pliable, it might(?) be possible to work it out over the metal edge.

As a rule --- removal of the window dictates that a new rubber molding be purchased. Your all-makes body shop will not know where to get one. The vendor listing available through the SDC home page will give you some choices.

Lark Parker
              sigpic

Comment

The body metal fits in a slot "between two lips" of rubber. Generally, the the procedure is to cut the inside lip off the rubber.

The inside lip is cut off so that the entire assembly can be gently pushed out to the capable, waiting hands of your two assistants who have already picked out a place to lay it down safely on a pad.

Then Bubba will come in and trip over it.

The cutting off is done because the rubber is too hardened to work past the metal (body) edge. If it were a new recently installed rubber molding that was still pliable, it might(?) be possible to work it out over the metal edge.

As a rule --- removal of the window dictates that a new rubber molding be purchased. Your all-makes body shop will not know where to get one. The vendor listing available through the SDC home page will give you some choices.

Lark Parker
                sigpic

Comment

got ya. is the procedure the same for the front window? I understand that it too should or must come out to repair the headliner??? thanks JR

Jim Rostron
                  Jim Rostron

Comment

Jim, I haven't done a 58 sedan but feel safe in saying "yes". Studes were all done with same engineering.

If anyone knows different they will speak up here.

I not real sure sure that the windshield must come out for a headliner replacement. Check around a little on that.

Remove/replace gets trickier for the windshields before 1953.

LP

sigpic

Comment

I do any glass work in the bright sunlight, the hotter the day the better. As Lark said, unless the rubber weatherstrip is new or really pliable, dont risk it, get a new weatherstrip. As far as headliners go, the ones I've seen are all glued under the metal lip that retains the windshield & back glass. The final word on that I would leave to the upholstry experts in the forum.

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I do any glass work in the bright sunlight, the hotter the day the better. As Lark said, unless the rubber weatherstrip is new or really pliable, dont risk it, get a new weatherstrip. As far as headliners go, the ones I've seen are all glued under the metal lip that retains the windshield & back glass. The final word on that I would leave to the upholstry experts in the forum.

60 Lark convertible
                        61 Champ
                        62 Daytona convertible
                        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2)
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                        X