Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyview at the Museum- questions & 5 pix

Or is it Skyway??

Being the wagon lover I was blown away by this car!! Not only did I love the styling, I had no idea it existed[B)] I didn't see anything about it in the books I currently have... anyone know the background? Is/was it drivable? I saw a sticker by the handles that said "Do not open door"- were they functional? How about reading material I can get somewhere? Would love to know more, including a better look (which I couldn't get with it banished in a shadowy stall in the basement):

To my eye it would have been a real winner- it's a beauty[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

quote:Originally posted by bams50
    I saw a sticker by the handles that said "Do not open door"- were they functional?
    Yes, the doors are functional.

Incidently, it was labelled "Skyview"

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50
      I saw a sticker by the handles that said "Do not open door"- were they functional?
      Yes, the doors are functional.

Incidently, it was labelled "Skyview"

Craig

Comment

WoW, incredible pictures, Craig! Thanks for putting those up[^] I love everything about it- except it's current ownership

Actually, it wouldn't do me any good to own it; it deserves nothing less than to be honored in a museum[:X] Hope I can get a better look next time I get there!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I wonder what happened to the letters "E" and "R" on the tailgate?

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

I had the opportunity to look those cars over real close in 1983 and 1988. All three showed evidence of being in very poor storage as one point. I'm guessing it may have been the time period when Studebaker closed shop in South Bend and when Brooks Stevens retreived them for his museum.

Craig

Comment

Like the doors, but the grill looks way too Plymouth for me. What a cool looking wagon, though.
                Skyview...? Brook's personal custom, or factory prototype?
                Come on Bams, seriously, I know you would drive this to meets rather than see it in there!!!

Comment

Like the doors, but the grill looks way too Plymouth for me. What a cool looking wagon, though.
                  Skyview...? Brook's personal custom, or factory prototype?
                  Come on Bams, seriously, I know you would drive this to meets rather than see it in there!!!

Comment

Hey Bams, I'll bet ya a donut you can't find the gas filler door.

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Hey Bams, I'll bet ya a donut you can't find the gas filler door.

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Like the doors, but the grill looks way too Plymouth for me.
                        To save tooling costs, you will note that the front doors are the same as used on the opposite rear side. That way only 2 stampings were required instead of 4. An original CASO trick.

Comment

Too cool..good eye! Speaking of caso...me, still have that trunk lid?

Comment

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

I do and it is still in the trailer where I put it after York. If you are coming to Reedsville, I can try to make a trip out to my place to dig it out....

Comment

Working...
                              X