Studes at Bonnie Doon- several pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studes at Bonnie Doon- several pictures

On my visit to SB Rich took me to a really great old drive-in called Bonnie Doon. It wasn't until the next day that I realized where I had heard that name- it's the model for a big display in the Museum[8D]

So here's some pictures from there- Studes, plus a couple others I thought were cool:

This was for sale for $10,500 (and worth every darn penny of it, said the ...ahem... enthusiastic seller:

For some reason, this one just caught my eye- understated but cool![8D]

Here's a striking, fun old car; good example of making an eye-catcher from a garden-variety model:

As with the rest of the trip, a great time! Also got to meet Tom Molnar, but somehow don't have those pictures[}] Anyway, thanks again, Rich![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Forgot to add a car I've always been fascinated with- BMW Isetta:

Someday I'll probably buy one just to get a chance to see what it's like to drive![]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Forgot to add a car I've always been fascinated with- BMW Isetta:

Someday I'll probably buy one just to get a chance to see what it's like to drive![]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Cool, Bob; thanks. BTW, per another thread, the old Chevy truck caught your eye because it has RED WHEELS![:0]

Bonnie Doon was a chain of (well, at least several) drive-ins in northern Indiana. Someone may correct me or confirm, but I believe the one you visited is the only one still operating.

When Studebaker was in production, though, it would have been common, on any given summer evening in St. Joseph County IN, to have more than one Studebaker huddled around several Bonnie Doons. (They don't call 'em "the good old days" for nothing, you know!)[8D] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Cool, Bob; thanks. BTW, per another thread, the old Chevy truck caught your eye because it has RED WHEELS![:0]

Bonnie Doon was a chain of (well, at least several) drive-ins in northern Indiana. Someone may correct me or confirm, but I believe the one you visited is the only one still operating.

When Studebaker was in production, though, it would have been common, on any given summer evening in St. Joseph County IN, to have more than one Studebaker huddled around several Bonnie Doons. (They don't call 'em "the good old days" for nothing, you know!)[8D] BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That's gotta be in Mishawaka, (Lincoln Way?) All the SB Bonnie Doons closed years ago.

Comment

Actually, you are correct. I'm a SB-area newbie[:I]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

These went to the bottom fast today, so I'm giving them one bump...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

These went to the bottom fast today, so I'm giving them one bump...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bams50,

Thanks for the great pictures. I have an Isetta and I can tell you it is a challenge to drive. It has a 4 speed transmission that is non-synchro. The shifter is on the left side, so you shift with your left hand. Also, the shift pattern is the complete opposite of what you normally have. You have to shift out of first gear at about 10 MPH. Top speed is about 50 MPH. But the nice thing is it gets around 50 MPG. It is a fun car to drive and gets even more attention than my Lark convertible.

Jeff

Comment

Bams50,

Thanks for the great pictures. I have an Isetta and I can tell you it is a challenge to drive. It has a 4 speed transmission that is non-synchro. The shifter is on the left side, so you shift with your left hand. Also, the shift pattern is the complete opposite of what you normally have. You have to shift out of first gear at about 10 MPH. Top speed is about 50 MPH. But the nice thing is it gets around 50 MPG. It is a fun car to drive and gets even more attention than my Lark convertible.

Jeff

Comment

In 1959 many of us were making the trek to Fort Lauderdale from Muncie, IN during spring break. A friend made the trip in an Isetta. I don't know what model, but I think it was a new vehicle. It would have been much easier in a Studebaker!

Niantic, CT
                        1963 Avanti R2524
                        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark289

I have an Isetta and I can tell you it is a challenge to drive. It is a fun car to drive and gets even more attention than my Lark convertible.
                          I thought so; which is why I want to drive one! I can't imagine what it must be like[8D] I'm probably going to have to buy one someday just so I can try it[^] You don't see them every day to be able to ask someone if you can take theirs for a spin[)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                          X