Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's a good rebuilder of Studebaker carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's a good rebuilder of Studebaker carbs?

I tried to adjust the float on the 715S Carter one barrel on my '50 Champion and now the car barely runs and isn't driveable. Who do you guys recommend to send it to for a rebuild? Would anyone happen to have a rebuilt one they would want to sell? If so please let me know. Thanks in advance....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

If it ran before, why not try adjusting the float back? As an alternative, I would take it to NAPA and get a kit (with the float gauge) and rebuild it yourself.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

If it ran before, why not try adjusting the float back? As an alternative, I would take it to NAPA and get a kit (with the float gauge) and rebuild it yourself.

Comment

I'm not a mechanic like a lot of you guys. I have no idea what I'm doing around a carburetor. It would be much easier for me to buy a rebuilt one or have mine rebuilt. I didn't "adjust" the float. I took it off and some other parts fell off and I put them back where I thought they went but obviously didn't do it right. I need the name of a carb rebuilder-not someone to tell me to do it myself, OK?

Comment

Do do not need to be a mechanic to do the rebuild, just have basic tools and the ability to follow the directions that are provided with the kit. If that is not to your liking, there are ads in the back of Turning Wheels offering rebuild services.

Parts should not have fallen off, what you may have lost is the needle valve. With that out, you would not be able to control the fuel flow. Does gas pour out now?

Comment

Come'on guys, tell him who to take it to. That's what he needs. Is Cathcart a carb guy? For some reason that name came to mind. Sometimes the help we need is to know who can fix it for us.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Come'on guys, tell him who to take it to. That's what he needs. Is Cathcart a carb guy? For some reason that name came to mind. Sometimes the help we need is to know who can fix it for us.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I sent one to Daytona for r&r It stayed 2 weeks and has worked great ever since. I wonder if that would work on Me? I think the name of the place was Daytona Parts Co. NT

Neil Thornton
                Hazlehurst, GA
                '57 Silver Hawk
                '56 Sky Hawk
                '51 2R16 dump truck
                Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I sent one to Daytona for r&r It stayed 2 weeks and has worked great ever since. I wonder if that would work on Me? I think the name of the place was Daytona Parts Co. NT

Neil Thornton
                  Hazlehurst, GA
                  '57 Silver Hawk
                  '56 Sky Hawk
                  '51 2R16 dump truck
                  Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I had to pump the gas pedal for about 3 minutes to get it to start, and then it ran really rough and is not driveable in this condition. I think there's gas leaking out of it but I don't know from where. You guys make jobs like rebuilding a carb sound really easy but that's not the case. I have an IQ well above average but when it comes to working on cars I have no clue what I'm doing. I hate to admit it but it's true. Anyway, I just want to send it to someone who is familiar with Carter one barrel carbs and have it put back together the way it's supposed to be....

I just looked through TW and found some carb repair kits and a couple of places that do repairs but no specific ads for a company that either rebuilds carbs or sells rebuilt carbs....

Comment

This might sound very general and uninformative, but you might be able to ask T-Bow. When I go to most of the meets he always has a couple of very clean, very nice looking, rebuilt and NOS carbs (1 bbl, 2 bbl, 4 bbl, etc)on his table. He took in our head and blower so he may also provide carb service as well.

I've been there myself. I pulled apart and cleaned up the carb and distributor on the pickup. There were moments were I would stare at the pieces on the bench and wonder if all the parts I pulled out, would be accounted for when they went back. The idea though was to keep tabs on the order of the pieces , as well as to break the unit into subsections and go subsection by subsection. I also had to keep track of the switching older parts for newer parts one at a time or else I fear I would have a larger rubix cube by the end of the rebuild, than what I started with. What's funny is this will will thrill ya is I discovered with the carb, that electrolysis does not work on a majority of the carb parts. It cleaned em alright(more like roto rootered them than polish them), but it wiped the float out and marred the finish of the exterior. The exterior I couldn't do anything with. However, the float was replaced by taking a 2 bbl float and desoldiering the hinge and pin from the stocker. I then proceeded by measuring carefully where the old float sat and soldiering the 2 bbl float in place on the hinge. I then used the manual, and a piece of metal gapped for the depth of the float drop in the reservoir and put the carb back together. It's been six months and its still running great. Dun worry bout the carb, all it takes is patience. These are pretty simple devices compared to most.... [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                      [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

This might sound very general and uninformative, but you might be able to ask T-Bow. When I go to most of the meets he always has a couple of very clean, very nice looking, rebuilt and NOS carbs (1 bbl, 2 bbl, 4 bbl, etc)on his table. He took in our head and blower so he may also provide carb service as well.

I've been there myself. I pulled apart and cleaned up the carb and distributor on the pickup. There were moments were I would stare at the pieces on the bench and wonder if all the parts I pulled out, would be accounted for when they went back. The idea though was to keep tabs on the order of the pieces , as well as to break the unit into subsections and go subsection by subsection. I also had to keep track of the switching older parts for newer parts one at a time or else I fear I would have a larger rubix cube by the end of the rebuild, than what I started with. What's funny is this will will thrill ya is I discovered with the carb, that electrolysis does not work on a majority of the carb parts. It cleaned em alright(more like roto rootered them than polish them), but it wiped the float out and marred the finish of the exterior. The exterior I couldn't do anything with. However, the float was replaced by taking a 2 bbl float and desoldiering the hinge and pin from the stocker. I then proceeded by measuring carefully where the old float sat and soldiering the 2 bbl float in place on the hinge. I then used the manual, and a piece of metal gapped for the depth of the float drop in the reservoir and put the carb back together. It's been six months and its still running great. Dun worry bout the carb, all it takes is patience. These are pretty simple devices compared to most.... [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                        [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                        [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I have a 51 Champion and had trouble getting it to run right. I sent the carb to Bill Carthcart. He sent it back and that problem was solved. I can highly recommend his service. His number is in Turning Wheels.

Don

Comment

Dave Thibeault (978)897-3158. Send your carb to him after calling him and it will come back like new. He may also have one ready to go, just exchange with him. Dave lives in the Boston area, he has an ad in the business card file in TW.

Frank van Doorn
                            1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                            1963 Daytona Conv
                            1941 Champion R-2 Rod
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Dave Thibeault (978)897-3158. Send your carb to him after calling him and it will come back like new. He may also have one ready to go, just exchange with him. Dave lives in the Boston area, he has an ad in the business card file in TW.

Frank van Doorn
                              1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                              1963 Daytona Conv
                              1941 Champion R-2 Rod
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                              X