1952-1953 Engine differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952-1953 Engine differences

I have a 52 small six that needs rebuilding and have just been told of a 53 larger 6 with a rebuilt, that is about to be pulled for a race engine. Will the motor mounts and transmission line up or should I stick with the smaller six? Thank you.

If a Big Six will fit in a '53, it'll fit in a '52.

Never seen a Big Six in any car newer than a '50 Commander. But I'm sure it could be done.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jmccarrol@hotmail.com

I have a 52 small six that needs rebuilding and have just been told of a 53 larger 6 with a rebuilt, that is about to be pulled for a race engine. Will the motor mounts and transmission line up or should I stick with the smaller six? Thank you.
      What year/model/body style is the engine coming out of?

What year/model/body style are you considering putting the engine in?

Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The donor car is a 1953 Champion. Joe

Comment

Are you sure it has the wider heads than your Champion, and also the Exhaust Manifolds are a dead giveaway that it is really a Commander "245" Big 6, the runners to the block hump up at the front and rear of the block and are square where Champions are level and round.

It would be more likely a OHV "170" 6, than a Commander Big 6 flathead, as it would be a bit of a trick to install.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have not seen the car yet. I want to know what I should look for.
            Joe

Comment

quote:Never seen a Big Six in any car newer than a '50 Commander. But I'm sure it could be done.
              Can't!

Matthew, the nomenclature police are on your trail. What's the difference between a Big Six and a Commander Six?

But, to the current point,
              The '53 six was no larger than the '52. The '55 six was larger displacement (185cid) and may, in fact, be something that could have been swapped in to your donor; perfect fit.

The Commander six was too long to fit in to any '52 unless the firewall was cut and all drivetrain altered.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
              X