Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Pictures

Hello all,
    Ive been owning and driving Studebakers since I was 16 - I still have my first car, a 1965 Studebaker Commander 4-door. I bought it at an estate sale from the original owner - so it is unique in the fact that I am the second owner. Anyhow, Im 24 and in school and have been kicking around some ideas of what my next Stude "should" be. I have always been intrigued by the 1953 models. SO, let's see 'em. Show me your 1953 photos. On a side note, Gary1953, I'd love to have your car - it is gorgeous in that winter scene.

God Bless,
    Nate

Got a little (not so good) photo here of a 53 in progress

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Nate--

Okey dokey...here come some 53s (and maybe a 54 or two)...they're my fave too (and I'll wager a good chunk of the forum membership agrees)...

53 Starliner at M'view quite a few years ago

53 Starliner project at Waterdown swap meet, also long ago...no engine/driveline/etc., on offer at the meet at $800

53 Champion Starlight custom at Van Wagners Beach cruise this past July; neat Merc 4dr rod in the background

53 Starlight custom at Crossroads Zone Meet 2008

54 Starlight custom at Crossroads Zone Meet 2008

53 Starliner project "in the barn" at SDC Hamilton BBQ last month; this is our host Paul's next project following an Avanti restoration

I think that's all the 53-54 cars I've got on P'bucket...

S.

Comment

I bought it 32 years ago as a daily driver.

Here's a link to the work in progress:
        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My '53 Commander Starliner- Automatic Drive, pb radio w/rear speaker, clock, backups, fog lights, all tint glass, windshield washer, other accessories. I have owned it since 1966 (3rd owner).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
          1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

This is the one that I bought when I was 16.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Here's my little beast. I've had it since high school in '71. B ought it for $50 and its now powered by an R1 with a 4 speed. Hopefully it will be a 5 speed soon.

sals54
              sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studenut65
                SO, let's see 'em. Show me your 1953 photos.
                Here are some from various meets of the C & K line.

One belonging to Jeff Hopman.

Craig

Comment

Jeff's 2-tone green sure is pretty, Craig. Since it is a 170 six with Automatic Drive, it would be fun to go out and intentionally get a speeding ticket [:0] to display with the car! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Jeff's 2-tone green sure is pretty, Craig. Since it is a 170 six with Automatic Drive, it would be fun to go out and intentionally get a speeding ticket [:0] to display with the car! BP
                    Funny you mention that, Bob! In 1979/80, I got a speeding ticket in a 1959 Lark (259 auto) for doing 81 mph in a 65 zone. I had to go to court to pay it a couple of month later! I lost the ticket showing it around to everyone in college!!!

Craig

Comment

quote:Funny you mention that, Bob! In 1979/80, I got a speeding ticket in a 1959 Lark (259 auto) for doing 81 mph in a 65 zone. I had to go to court to pay it a couple of month later! I lost the ticket showing it around to everyone in college!!!

Craig
                      Even funnier, I got a speeding ticket in our 61 Lark (259 automatic) while in college. We were going to the Charlotte race. There were 5 of us in the car and we were going 83 in a 65 MPH speed limit. They took us to the police station in a small town in North Carolina and the Sheriff looked at the Lark and said...

"Them cars won't do no 80 mile per hour. Let him go."

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

On a side note, Gary1953, I'd love to have your car - it is gorgeous in that winter scene.

Nate,
                        Thank you for the compliment. I was very fortunate when I found the car and got a great deal on it.

Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO
                        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

quote: Jeff's 2-tone green sure is pretty, Craig. Since it is a 170 six with Automatic Drive, it would be fun to go out and intentionally get a speeding ticket to display with the car! BP
                          Well Bob, it would be a lot easier than you think The car has a 80's V6 with EFI. Probably about the same HP as a '53 Commander but less weight Not a racing machine by any standards but it can get out of its own way [^]

I've not seen most of the Pix posted in thread before and there are some real beauties!

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I see Craig has already posted one pic of it. But, here it is again...

'53 Commander Starliner. 232 V8. Overdrive tranny. And even A/C on the 6V system. [8D]

This car belongs to Stephen Cade, and I fell in love with it at the 1st GA State Meet in 2004. Haven't seen a '53 since that I like more than this one.

Here's Dr. Cade and me in front of it. He caught me (14 years old at the time) droolin' over it, and came over and chatted for a little while. I've also got a picture of me and him together in the banquet room, with me holding the huge Best of Show trophy that the car won. [8D][^]

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I went by one of our club members, Herman Gantt, today and photographed his 53 Studebaker in his paint shop.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Working...
                              X