Packard Hawk Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Hawk Success

The Packard Hawk overheating has finally been beaten after several months. Each time I started it, some new cause seemed to appear. The last time it was driven, after the new rad, the bottom rad hose literally rotted apart a block away from home under pressure. The engine had been flushed.

I ended up

(1) replacing the thermostat (questionable)(tried it in hot water)
    (2) replacing the heavily dented front exhaust pipe, incorrectly welded in place (Thanks Don Simmons)
    (3) freeing up the stuck heat riser
    (4) replacing the radiator (expensive)
    (5) replacing the rad hoses, picked up in Lancaster (thank you Phil Harris)

Thank you all for your suggestions. I thought I initially covered off everything, but went through the overheating issues provided again.

I did buy a laser temperature gun as a new toy, and this tool has proved to be invaluable in many other areas.

Paul R

Last resort was what I had to do....pull the freeze plugs and blow out the gunk in the block. Worked great, solved the problem but was one heck of a project and a mess.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
    58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
    58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
    62 Daytona (White)
    63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
    57 Packard Wagon parts car
    57 Packard sedan parts car
    58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

Comment

To "pull" the freeze plugs, you....? Drill 'em? Chisel 'em? What? (I know, the info has probably been posted a jillion times but...duhhhhh.)

John

Comment

John, either way would work. Sometimes they're so rusted (assuming they're steel ones), you can push a screwdriver thru them with your hand. Once you get something thru them, just use it (well, not a drill bit, 'cause it'd snap!) to leverage out the plug.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

John, either way would work. Sometimes they're so rusted (assuming they're steel ones), you can push a screwdriver thru them with your hand. Once you get something thru them, just use it (well, not a drill bit, 'cause it'd snap!) to leverage out the plug.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I used a chisel to poke a hole in the center of them and stuck a screwdriver in them and worked them out.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
            58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
            58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
            62 Daytona (White)
            63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
            57 Packard Wagon parts car
            57 Packard sedan parts car
            58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

Comment

Working...
            X