PDA

View Full Version : $1029.26

alanmende
10-14-2008, 08:04 PM
We've probably all been in the old car hobby long enough to have wondered why there are some locally owned cars that we seldom if ever see. At the AACA meet this past Saturday, I was asked on more than one occasion if I knew Mr. Somebody who lives in Hummelstown and is "into" Studebakers. Or "You must know the Whatchamacallit family. They're big into old cars."

Well, now I think I know why some people decide to keep their old cars in the garage and not take them out. My subject line tells the story.

Yesterday, two days after Grace was awarded an AACA National First Junior, I drove her to work -- so my coworkers could see the fruits of 10 years of labor, and so the people at the local glass and radiator shops could see what their labors contributed to. I've been working 6 AM to 2:30 PM. We're on flex time, so since my wife and I get up early (oh dark thirty), why not get an early start on the day and have the better part of the afternoon to devote to what I want or need to do around home. Two-thirty comes, and I leave work. I head over to Auto Glass Technology to show Lisa and Andreas what the car looks like all finished. They loved it. Then I went over to Smitty's Radiator Service to show Ernie and his helper. They loved the car, too. Ernie is walking around the car, marveling at it, when he stops in back of it and says, "What happened here?" What happened where? "Take a look here," he says. There on the trunk lid is an 18- to 24-inch long scratch in the paint, much of it all the way down to the primer. Somebody keyed the car.

Now there is no way I can ever be made to think that anyone in our small building would do such a thing, but every once in a while people who are not Tyco Electronics employees are seen walking through our parking lot. Maybe they're taking a short cut from Faulkner Honda which is behind us, or maybe they've wandered in from the Faulkner GMC dealership that's next door.

Today I had our building manager put out an e-mail note asking if anybody in the building had seen anyone in the lot yesterday. No one had. Two of my coworkers came over to me to tell me that they had been out at 10:30 and 11:30 to look at Grace, and both of them said there was no scratch on the trunk lid when they were walking around the car.

So when I got home yesterday, I called JC Taylor to file a claim. Their adjuster called me today and told me that it will be covered under comprehensive, which has a zero deductible, and the sooner I can get an estimate to him, the sooner they'll cut me a check for the repair. So I took the second half of the day off to drive up to Antique and Classic Restorations in Germansville, PA. The subject line is the amount of the estimate.

I'm not angry; I'm not pissed off; I'm not upset. But I am baffled. What drives someone to do such a thing? I could almost understand if someone pried off the V8 emblems; the eights are gold plated. But to just scratch the paint? That's beyond me.

Oh well, that's what we insure our cars for. But one thing is for sure; I won't take my Studebaker to work ever again. Nor will I take Cathy out to dinner in it unless I can park it where I can keep a close eye on it.

And there's the rub: it's so much fun to drive and to see people wave and give a thumbs-up. It's fun to watch them fairly drool over Bob Bourke's finest design. I just hope nothing like this happens again. That might just sour me on taking Grace out of her garage.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

lstude
10-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Man, I hate to hear a story like that.

At least your insurance will cover it. I hope it turns out OK.

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

ClaymoreWW
10-14-2008, 08:23 PM
is that the maroon and cream 54 C/K? :( - I just can't imagine why anyone would want to damage a restoration.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
http://www.teamwetworks.com/claymore/larkkey.jpg

55s
10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm afraid that stupidity knows no borders.

I restored my 1977 Cordoba when it was about ten years old. Nice new paint job, pin stripes. It was keyed down the entire length 3 days later. I was so upset, I virtually gave away the car. High deductible, no insurance claim.

Next owner let his dog in it, who promptly ate the seat belts and destroyed the immaculate interior. What a waste.

I'm still a little reluctant to part with stuff.

Paul

sweetolbob
10-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Alan- Sorry to hear about the keying, I would hope your shop had a camera on the parking lot. However, we all know why. You had something that was nice and represented pride and investment. While the twit that did it dropped out of high school, can't hold a minimum wage job and doesn't understand why he's not entitled to all you have. Just his way of expressing his view of life. We should let the Bulgarians question him also. Bob [V]

Pckstude
10-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Before I left home to go into the Navy in 1971, I stored a 1955 Packard Patrician in an old horse barn on a farm, and covered it with a canvas tarp. This thing had the most gorgeous royal blue cloth inserts. It wasn't too rusty, and the engine had a knock in it when I bought it home from a junk yard.
I checked on it in the summer of '74 when home on leave and it was ok. About a year later after being discharged from the Navy, I went to retrieve my Packard. When I walked into that barn there sat my Packard with unbelievable signs of being violently assaulted.
I could only imagine that it was some young punk, or his friends, that had taken a cement block and proceeded to break every piece of glass they could find, and dent as much of the hood, top, and trunk that they possibly could. Miraculously the interior had survived in tact. (Wish I had saved the seats) I was just sick to my stomach. What I thought was strange is how the tail light bezels remained in tack. They had broken the lens, but not the thin chrome piece running down the center.
I had a buddy who was into Packards, and I gave him the title saying that he could have it for the taking, because I was so disgusted. I see it when I visit him, and it still brings back a little tinge of pain to think about it all over again, and that some young boys had a little fun at my expense, and destroyed a Packard.

bams50
10-14-2008, 09:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by ClaymoreWW

I just can't imagine why anyone would want to damage a restoration.

I CAN.

Over the years I've had some nice cars I was pretty proud of. I grew up poor and worked very hard for the stuff I had. Then, too many times I had them messed with- keyed, covered with beer, spit on, you name it. One of the worst was my 82 Camaro Indy Pace car; it had beer poured on the windshield, then the driver's door window smashed, and my radar detector grabbed out from under the seat- parked right in front of a busy convenience store. There were several witnesses who identified the genius- as my father's friend's son! He was a bum who got sick jealous of my string of sweet cars, got drunk, and took it out on my car. This from a quality family of good people with an underachieving son! He's one of so many today that feel entitled to everything, and if someone has something better than them they just can't stand it.

There's the answer- the piece of garbage that did that to your car is mad that you worked hard and they didn't, and were hoping to hurt you by attacking your achievement.

That's why I'll never be able to own a show car. I ended up selling my beloved Navigator a couple years back- I spent too much energy worrying about it, and when the driver's window was smashed right in front of my business, that was it. Accidents don't bother me- they happen; and can be fixed. But intentional damage is a lot harder to fix- as your post shows, it damages the spirit. And that's worse any way you slice it.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

barnlark
10-14-2008, 09:14 PM
That makes me really sick. I tend to park as far out where no one can park next to me and maybe have a kid swing out a car door unknowingly, but to be keyed really would get me to lose it. Just don't get the point at all. It happens too often to just be people wandering aimlessly through life with a key. It's like it's a sport. I'm really sorry, Alan. You're taking it much better than I ever would, but don't let it ruin your love to drive it. There are plenty of places to go and sit and keep an eye on it. That's an art in itself, but we can't live our life scared to take them out, or these punks win. Would love to catch one, though. :(:(

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0758_2.jpg
Lancaster Concours field 2008

bams50
10-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Another thing- why is it when you park your pride and joy in the farthest, emptiest corner of the parking lot, somebody always has to park right next to you anyway??:(

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

jlmccuan
10-14-2008, 09:38 PM
That's one of my major peeves. I always try to park far away and in an open area, but it's unbelieveable how every time some beater will park as close as they can get. I really don't like how some guys park in the middle of two spaces at an angle, but I'm leaning that way more and more.

The worst case was when after filling up with gas, I pulled away from the pumps and into the parking area as far away as I could get from anyone. These 3 idiots in a pickup pull into the gas station with a box in the bed ON FIRE, cut through the pumps and right next to our car to put out the flames!!

Jim
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/AvantiSignature.jpghttp://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/AvantiSigB.jpghttp://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/Logo/RabidSnailSignature.jpg
_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing

barnlark
10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
"Another thing- why is it when you park your pride and joy in the farthest, emptiest corner of the parking lot, somebody always has to park right next to you anyway??"

True enough. Happened Saturday night at dinner. Guess they trust an idiot with a Lark shine who rather walk than park close to not dent their car. :D

alanmende
10-15-2008, 05:58 AM
To everyone,

Thanks for your kind words and insights. Thanks also for letting me blow off some steam.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
Hummelstown, PA

Johnnywiffer
10-15-2008, 07:32 AM
I can certainly understand the feelings about this. I think many may remember this ’57 Packard hulk that I bought after a discussion here.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/johnnywiffer/4-1.jpg

Within days after I sent the money, it looked like this:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/johnnywiffer/DAMAGEDPACKARD012.jpg

Many may recall, I was torn between stripping and fixing. After the vandalism, I stripped. My only consolation is that “What goes around, comes around.”

In 1968, I had a friend who owned a yellow ’67 GTO tri-power convertible. One nite we were exiting a bar when to my amazement, he just flicked his lit cigarette onto the hood of a new Oldsmobile.

“What the f--- are you doing?”

“Hey, they do it to me.”

I brushed the butt off the car, shook my head in disgust and we went on with the evening’s romp.

Within a week, I got a midnite call from him, “Hey, my tri-power caught on fire, can you come get me?”

When I got there, he was inebriated, the car was parked in the middle of the street, (small town) and the little plastic choke thingys were melted. There was also a big black burned place in the middle of the hood.

“Dunno what happened…I was driving along and…..”

“Hey—do you remember a lit cigarette on the hood of an Oldsmobile last week?”

“No.”

“Well, I DO and I think Someone else might too.”

He never could get the car running right after that, tho he spent hundreds of $s trying.

Was it GM design? Fate? Retribution? Who knows? But I FIRMLY believe in the above adage.

Rest Assured.

John

edited for spelling

BobPalma
10-15-2008, 08:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by alanmende

To everyone,

Thanks for your kind words and insights. Thanks also for letting me blow off some steam.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende

:) Sorry indeed to hear of this, Alan. Inexcusable, but understandable in today's jealous culture where folks are led to believe they are entitled to what the next guy has "just because!"

That said, if your original post was your definition of "blowing off steam," you're a saint! :DBP

alanmende
10-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks Bob. I debated relating what had happened because I knew there would be other people steamed by what had transpired. And I felt it would probably refresh the memories of people to whom similar things had happened -- memories that are better set aside. But with so many positive comments about my Hershey story and our car, I decided to "tell all."

I'm not sure, but maybe the old adage, "Pride goeth before the fall," is apropos for me.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
Hummelstown, PA

sals54
10-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Alan, Its truly heartbreaking to hear that that sort of thing is still going on. It was more common around here in the Sacramento area about 20 years ago. I have not heard too many stories of that kind lately. Good luck on the fix. But on the other hand, its as I tell my customers when they are building their dream homes... don't allow the problems and troubles that some sub-contractors cause, steal the joy you worked so hard for in building your home. If you built it to drive, then drive the wheels off it. Enjoying it is your best revenge.

sals54
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/NewSignature.jpg

JBOYLE
10-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Sorry to hear that, there are a lot of jerks out there!

I see it here, this town has a lot of folks who have been led to believe over the last 75 years that the world owes them a living and they should be able to have everything (...that everyone else has to work for).

A friend reports vandalism to his new (used) Lexus SC400...
and my wife's Mini has received a a few suspicious scratches...and someone spit all over it once (since she's English it has the factory option UK Union Jack on the roof...so whoever did it was either Irish or a public school rocket scientist who thought it was a CSA battle flag, like the "General Lee" :D ).

But having said that, 99.9% of the people out there seem to love the old cars...and remember, good people still outnumber the bad.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

studeclunker
10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
My sincere sympathies about the damage to your car. I would probably have gone ballistic myself. nevertheless that's why I haven't ever spent a lot of money on paint and body work. Yes, I've generally kept my vehicles up, and looove to admire beauties like Grace. The effort, money, and time put into them make them, well... almost works of art. And you know what the brainless type like to do to classic architecture and art. That's the main reason that Art Museums have the security systems they do. It's not entirely the theft. Stupidity and vandalism (like what happened to Grace) is what worries them the most.

Think of it this way, the insurance company is willing to fix the scratch. Grace wasn't really hurt. A little sanding, a little paint and you'll never see the stupidity again. Drive her to work, just park her closer to the door next time.;)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

jeryst
10-15-2008, 02:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

I can certainly understand the feelings about this. I think many may remember this ’57 Packard hulk that I bought after a discussion here.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/johnnywiffer/4-1.jpg

Within days after I sent the money, it looked like this:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/johnnywiffer/DAMAGEDPACKARD012.jpg

Many may recall, I was torn between stripping and fixing. After the vandalism, I stripped. My only consolation is that “What goes around, comes around.”

In 1968, I had a friend who owned a yellow ’67 GTO tri-power convertible. One nite we were exiting a bar when to my amazement, he just flicked his lit cigarette onto the hood of a new Oldsmobile.

“What the f--- are you doing?”

“Hey, they do it to me.”

I brushed the butt off the car, shook my head in disgust and we went on with the evening’s romp.

Within a week, I got a midnite call from him, “Hey, my tri-power caught on fire, can you come get me?”

When I got there, he was inebriated, the car was parked in the middle of the street, (small town) and the little plastic choke thingys were melted. There was also a big black burned place in the middle of the hood.

“Dunno what happened…I was driving along and…..”

“Hey—do you remember a lit cigarette on the hood of an Oldsmobile last week?”

“No.”

“Well, I DO and I think Someone else might too.”

He never could get the car running right after that, tho he spent hundreds of $s trying.

Was it GM design? Fate? Retribution? Who knows? But I FIRMLY believe in the above adage.

Rest Assured.

John

edited for spelling

Did you see this car before you puchased it? If you examine those photos, it appears as if a lot more than a few days passed between the two photos.

wolfie
10-15-2008, 02:43 PM
that bush did grow a good bit didnt it?Steve

allstateguy
10-15-2008, 03:32 PM
The fooler is the different camera angle. Look on the wall at the slider for the door behind the car. The bush is right up to it in both pix

Reviving an early Lark
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q246/allstateguy/100_0683-1.jpg

Johnnywiffer
10-15-2008, 03:53 PM
It was more than a FEW days between purchase and destruction, maybe 3-4 weeks. I should have said a few days before I went to get it, it looked like the 2nd pic. The point I was making was that these dummies even demolish hulks like that one. Just DOES NOT make sense.

And I was attempting to make the point that even my FRIEND had no scruples against vandalizing someone ELSE'S car. But when it came to his car.... So--will the vandals get what's coming to them?

HE DID!

John

50Champ
10-15-2008, 06:05 PM
That sucks. It reminds me of a John Travolta scene in the movie "Pulp Fiction" in which his '64 Malibu convertible got keyed. He had a few choice comments to make about the person who did it while he was buying some heroin from Eric Stoltz. Check it out sometime....:)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1188/4526177/20234971/329233113.jpg

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

bondobilly
10-15-2008, 07:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by alanmende

W But I am baffled. What drives someone to do such a thing? But to just scratch the paint? That's beyond me.

]

What you have is a 50 to 60 year old teenager who was jealous. I had the entire driver's side of my Golden Hawk "keyed" after it appeared in the NY Times story about a Cruise Night run by the GTO Club of Westchester. In my case there were over 200 GTO's that showed up because the NY Times was going to do a story on their car club that sponsors a Cruise Night every Saturday night. When the reporter/photographer showed up he discovered there were other makes and he found the "other" makes a better story. There were three photos in the article, one of my Hawk, one of my Hawk and a 36 Chevy next to each other. The third photo was a guy with a rag polishing a door of GTO, but you could not tell.

A week after the story appeared we went up to cruise night and nobody said anything about the article. We came home in the dark, and it wasn't until the next day that we discovered the damage.

You will find these 60 year old teenagers wherever you go, they never grew up, and you can imagine what their children are like.

BG

barnlark
10-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Sadly, I think you are dead on with that statement, Bill. Seems like most young kids are into older cars and usually appreciate them. It's the older punks who feel life owes them the right to that behavior and tend to go through life angry about anything they can find after a few daddy beverages. You can sure bet it's passed down a generation. [V]

S2DSteve
10-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Being in the insurance business, I see this sort of thing on a regular basis. Jealousy is the most predominant motive, with peer pressure (showing off) a close second.

You really shouldn't let this ruin the pleasure of driving your Studebaker. I've logged probably 100,000 miles in my Studebakers over the last 25 years without serious incident. On many outings they were left overnight in motel parking lots in less than ideal neighborhoods. I realize I've been very lucky, and could get hit with an accident or theft or vandalism the next time out, but for me it's worth the risk. Life's too short to let the bastards dictate how you live.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u57/S2DSteve/Family12-1-2.jpg
Steve Hudson
The Dalles, Oregon
1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
1960 Hawk (future project?)

rockfoot
10-16-2008, 05:45 AM
A couple years ago in North Charleston, SC, A man was filmed by the police keying an SUV (I think). The same car had been keyed previously in the same spot so the guy went to the police before he parked it and informed them of the past keying(s). They set up a survelence and got the guy (50+ years old, Councilman, I think) on tape.... He still beat it in court with a slick lawyer. Whats the use? :( Alan Mende... As a side note, I am sitting in the middle of the North Sea laying cable for Tyco as I read this.... Sorry to hear of you efforts going that way. Makes me worry about the restoration that I am doing. I have these thoughts about letting my Grandkids use the car (when its done) to take to the school Prom or whatever... then I think of what happened to you and other people I have known. School teachers with brand new Lexus or BMW's coming out to find their car keyed the whole length... its would kill me to discover something like that!! Hope they fix it to your expectations.

1955 President one owner
Moncks Corner, SC
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/rbarrett/P1000631.jpghttp://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/rbarrett/259Studebaker.jpg

Anne F. Goodman
10-16-2008, 08:52 AM
"Life's too short to let the bastards dictate how you live."
SD2Steve has this right. You cannot let them control your life. You need to get out there and enjoy your Studebaker. If it worries you stresses you out then it isn't fun anymore. Then you need to get a driver one that you can enjoy drive every day and not worry like Mabel.

Mabel 1949 Champion
1957 Silverhawk
1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
Gus 1958 Transtar
1955 President State
1957 Golden Hawk
Fresno,Ca
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/Mabel.jpg?t=1165475035http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/xmasannecopy.jpghttp://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/GusMater.jpghttp://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o269/nw3anne/th_DSCN17232008-01-01.jpg

MARCHOBBS
10-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Back in the mid seventies I had a beautiful 71 El Camino, white w/ orange stripes, and my wife worked @ a local mall, she always parked in the middle of nowhere, and parked across two spaces ( as mentioned earlier). One day she came out from work to find a note on the windshield " you do a he** of a parking job, and they had keyed both sides of the car. I don't remember whether insurance covered it but I remember having to repaint the car!

alanmende
10-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Rest assured everyone, illegitimi non carborundum (or whatever the mock Latin phrase is saying that I won't let the bastards wear me down). I will continue to drive Grace whenever I feel like it...and I often feel like it. I just won't take her to work and leave her in an unattended, unmonitored parking lot. Wherever I do park her, I will keep a closer eye on her.

On a positive note, yesterday when I got home from work, there was a phone message waiting for me from the insurance adjuster. The estimate had been approved, and they were sending a check for the full amount. As soon as I have it in hand, I will schedule time at the restoration shop.

I can't say enough good things about the JC Taylor insurance company and their carrier, Foremost Insurance. If you are in the market for collector car insurance, consider JC Taylor. They and Foremost have worked with lightning speed -- even as Foremost still is processing claims from Hurricane Ike.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
Hummelstown, PA

wolfie
10-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Just got home from a shortened ride on the motorcycle.After I came home from work today I parked the bike in the front yard.Left about 15 mins later and one of my fine neighbors here had loosened my oil filter.Narrowly avoided catastrophe from the oil soaking the rear tire and brake and luckily caught the flicker of the oil light and got everything shut down before major engine damage happened.I am in truth a peace loving man but I firmly believe god made guns for people like these.Steve

50Champ
10-16-2008, 06:35 PM
quote: one of my fine neighbors here had loosened my oil filter

How do you know that it was a neighbor? Do you have some biker haters in your area?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1188/4526177/20234971/329233113.jpg

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

Nitram
10-16-2008, 06:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by wolfie

one of my fine neighbors here had loosened my oil filter

SAY WHAT...[?]

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
[i]~Nitram~
57 Transtar

wolfie
10-16-2008, 07:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by 50Champ

[quote]

How do you know that it was a neighbor? Do you have some biker haters in your area?

I have a good idea who is behind it.Whoever did it used the gloves I had left on the seat and tore one glove on the heat sink cooler which slips over the filter.They had loosened it just enough to blow out oil at speed so I had ridden 3-4 miles before I realized there was a problem.The only real damage was oil soaked the rear brake pads and tire.I think I can clean up the tire but will have to replace the pads and I am having a hard time getting the burnt oil off the exhaust pipe without ruining the coating on it.Steve

bridgegaurd
10-18-2008, 01:59 AM
It is always a shame to have this happen. But the truth is there are a huge amount of willfully stupid people out there who have no respect for anyone else's property or work.

If it isn't some jerk keying your car it's the adoring fan with the dishtub belt buckle leaning across your fender to see your engine. Or someone with three pounds of trash rings on patting a fender like a dog saying nice car.

I once had a clown climb over the ropes to get a better look at my show cars front axle. His response to the broken throphies he"d knocked over was oh man i'm sorry i just wanted to get a closer look.

I've just come to expect the willfully stupid to be around and have quit worrying about it. So i drive my ride and know that sooner or later it will have an encounter with one. Now if we could get a bounty on em, life would be better.

bridgegaurd
10-18-2008, 01:59 AM
It is always a shame to have this happen. But the truth is there are a huge amount of willfully stupid people out there who have no respect for anyone else's property or work.

If it isn't some jerk keying your car it's the adoring fan with the dishtub belt buckle leaning across your fender to see your engine. Or someone with three pounds of trash rings on patting a fender like a dog saying nice car.

I once had a clown climb over the ropes to get a better look at my show cars front axle. His response to the broken throphies he"d knocked over was oh man i'm sorry i just wanted to get a closer look.

I've just come to expect the willfully stupid to be around and have quit worrying about it. So i drive my ride and know that sooner or later it will have an encounter with one. Now if we could get a bounty on em, life would be better.

jeryst
10-18-2008, 03:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by bridgegaurd

It always just amazes me how some arrogant, selfish, inconsiderate, self-absorbed people think the world is here just for them. THEY dont need to stay behind the ropes. THEY dont need to obey the signs. THEY dont need to obey the rules. THEY dont need to stand in line. THEY dont need to take their turn. ARRGGHHH!! Dont get me started!