My President lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My President lives

I drove my 55 President State Sedan today, round trip, 22 miles. I had the new windshield installed, filled the tank, drove home. I need good tires, front end alignment yet. The transmission seems to work well, shifts smoothly, first start, intermediate, lockup. The engine is noisier than I'm used to, more powerful, too, the alternator has an nasty whine, and over 1800 rpm, there is a muted clatter that's sorta scary. I'm going to wait for spring for the tires, so I won't be doing any more driving this year. I'm confident this will make a good driver. Eleven months from roll back to roll out. Thanks for all your help.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 510 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Congrats, my friend! Now, if only Spring was close....[}]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Tom, would that be the red one? Beautiful car.[:X] Innit great when you can finally play with 'em?

By the by, in the wee 'lil picture, it looks like the front, upper chrome is painted. Looks really good.[8D]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Here's what the front end wound up looking like. The pot metal was sound, but pitted. I cleaned the pits with a die grinder, filled them and sanded it smooth. CASOs can't afford to rechrome things like this, so we paint it. The narrow band of chrome was good so I left it unpainted. I intend to paint the letters black, haven't gotten that far.

You might also notice the chrome rings on the headlight doors.

I have yet to install the 'visor' on the windshield. OH Heck, there's lots to do yet.

Somebody, please notice the license plate.....

Tom Bredehoft
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Would the license plate indicate that the car and owner are the same age?
          I like what you did with the grill.

Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO
          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

I wish... No, it indicates the owner and the age of the car.

I can't say I like the grill, but I did the best I could with what Studebaker supplied.

Tom Bredehoft
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

Tom,

You have come a long ways on that car. Congrats. As somebody who has a 55 project of their own, welcome to the 55 sedan club

Kent

Comment

Actually, I LOVE what you did with that front end! The strip of chrome over the grille opening is just right! You've taken one of the poorer designs from Studebaker and fixed it! I think if I ever have a '55 the same thing just might get done.

By the by, what's a CASO?

Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Tom, that thing looks GOOD! I like the grille treatment.

Ron......"By the by, what's a CASO?"

Look up CASO in the dictionary - your picture is there as an example.[:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Tom--

Count me in re the approval of your '55 Prez front-end treatment. That is quite close, actually, to what Mr Bourke intended the '55 nose to look like, before the decision got made corporately to "ape" Detroit and trowel on the chrome! Nice job.

Oh, and CASO took me a while to figure out too. When the light did dawn it was one of those "coulda had a V8" groaner moments...[]

S.

Comment

I think the chrome strip looks like a mustache, but it looks better than many alternatives.

My dad has put untold hours into that (although he professes 510 in his sig). He literally turned a rust bucket into a daily driver. Granted much of the car was relatively solid, but there was a lot to do! To help him out a bit, here is the oldest picture I can find (of my photos) that shows the entire car as it was when he bought it. He may have saved the auction picture, but I'm afraid I don't have it - the car was sad, but with a smidgen of pride still visible!

You can see more here: http://www.teamwetworks.com/claymore...vel=album&id=3

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                      1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

I like the painted grille too! The chrome is just too gaudy,not worth the cost of rechroming,even if you wanted to. OOPS-I hope that doesn't offend someone who spent a bazillion bucks on rechroming their '55 grille,jmho.
                        Nice car,Tom!!!

Oglesby,Il.
                        "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Posted - 10/09/2008 : 4:49:14 PM
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the chrome strip looks like a mustache

Put a set of eyes in the windshield like Anne does.

Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO
                          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                          Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO

Comment

Here's a shot from the auction, if it weren't for the cement blocks under the front, it would all have been on the ground.

This was Nov. 3, 07. The plate on the car was stickered in 1978.

The visor's back on the windshield, but I've not yet taken any pictures of it.

Tom Bredehoft
                            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                            All Indiana built cars

Comment

Tom B. You've come a long way on the 55 and should be proud. I think that's a very nice way to handle the 55 grill. I guess if you want a change, you could paint the insert and reinstall, but I like it like it is. Nice car, well done. Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X