1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk - 60 stamped postcards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk - 60 stamped postcards

What am I missing? Why not go to the PO and buy them? Oh, I ALREADY know he has eliminated the "assortment" issue. Go to the PO and buy them, then sell the other stupid cars on Ebay. What?! someone else has already thought of this? I am flabbergasted!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

What you are missing is he is (putting in some work) and selling $.27 postcards for $.75. almost 3 for 1.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction 506 hrs.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

"A description on the back of the card states:

"The 1957 Golden Hawk - Studebaker's distinctive hardtop coupe -
        combined the best elements of a sports car and a family sedan.
        With a body design based on the 1953 Studebaker Starliner, the
        Golden Hawk featured two-tone paint and outward-leaning tail fins."

Guess they forgot about that insignificant SUPERCHARGER!! And I thot 2-tone was optional. Oh well...live 'n learn!

John

Comment

If you can't learn from a postage stamp, what CAN you learn from?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

wow, I was at the post office today but didn't see that postcard, bought a set of the stamps though, they're very nice!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

"A description on the back of the card states:

"The 1957 Golden Hawk - Studebaker's distinctive hardtop coupe -
              combined the best elements of a sports car and a family sedan.
              With a body design based on the 1953 Studebaker Starliner, the
              Golden Hawk featured two-tone paint and outward-leaning tail fins."

Guess they forgot about that insignificant SUPERCHARGER!! And I thot 2-tone was optional. Oh well...live 'n learn!

John
              I do not have any factory literature stating that two-tone was standard on 1957 Golden Hawks, but I thought that the fins were a second color (and also the grille openings on GH 400) and all factory pictures that I can come up with support this.
              Probably someone else has the correct factory materials handy to prove or disprove this two-tone paint position.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

There's no reason to assume two-paint was standard on 1957 Golden Hawks. In fact, I can verify it was not: Having researched every 1957 Golden Hawk production record to help Tom Lawlis look for "lost" Golden Hawk 400s, we came across many solid-color cars. Tom's own Golden Hawk 400, 1 of the 10 confirmed extant of the 51 built and in his family since 1960, was/is/will be when restoration is completed, a monotone car. At least one other "400" was monotone, as hard as it is to believe.

When researching 1958 (not 1957) Golden Hawks with George Krem, we were surprised at the number of solid-color cars. In fact, if you'll check Page 24 of the September 2007 Turning Wheels, the chart indicates 344 of the 878 1958 Golden Hawks were solid-color cars. Yes, that is a surprisingly-high number. Obviously, many survivors have been two-toned when restored; it is rare to see a monotone Golden Hawk today. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks, Bob P. I should have thought of my own 1957 Golden Hawk. It was solid black.
                  I just didn't come across any factory material stating one way or the other. The question then is; Were the solid colors or the two-tone the option and where is this stated for 1957 Golden Hawks?

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I also had a solid black 1957 Golden Hawk in the early 60's.

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                    Lewisville,NC
                    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                    Lewisville,NC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Thanks, Bob P. I should have thought of my own 1957 Golden Hawk. It was solid black.
                      I just didn't come across any factory material stating one way or the other. The question then is; Were the solid colors or the two-tone the option and where is this stated for 1957 Golden Hawks?

Gary L.
                      As dangerous as are assumptions, Gary, I'll assume and state monotone was standard and two-tone the extra-cost option. This would be verified on some Salesman's Ordering Guide or such, but I don't have any at my disposal. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                      X