PDA

View Full Version : plea for help

thom
10-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I have an unusual question. Can anyone who has a steering box and column apart give me a couple of dimensions? On a truck , like my 55 , I would like to know what the diameter of the shaft that goes into the top of the steering box is.Also I would like to know what the inside diameter of the column tube is.I would like to use the original steering wheel and column in a truck that I am putting on a Dodge Dakota chassis. I have done so in the past , on other vehicles by cutting the shaft and tube off above the steering box and putting a bearing in the end of the tube to center the shaft, then using a u-joint or two to connect the shaft to the new steering box ( or rack on the Dodge ). I prefer not to disassemble a good column and box just to measure it. Thanks.[?]

thom

Alan
10-04-2008, 10:02 PM
If the steering box is a Ross TL, it should have a 13/16" OD shaft and a 11/16" ID. But I have run into some columns with a solid shaft.

Alan
10-05-2008, 11:24 AM
thom, went out and checked this morning for my own piece of mind and found a few things for the fractionally challenged. Even though the spline where the wheel fits is called a 13/16" x 36 the shaft OD is .872" a couple of thousandths under 7/8" the ID is .612" with a wall thickness of .162" Hope it helps.