OHV/AUTO TRANS TORQUE CONVERTER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHV/AUTO TRANS TORQUE CONVERTER

I pulled the engine from a friends 1962 Lark 6, auto trans, expected to replace the torque converter supplied. Wrong! The nose is the wrong size. Apparently the 63 Lark pump drive is a different size than a 62, and therefore the t/c is wrong.
    Anyone got a torque converter for a 1962 Lark 6? Nearby? (Ferndale, WA.)

This all began because the teeth are stripped off the ring gear. In my past, we would cut the ring gear off and turn it over, rewelding it to the converter.

Brian K. Curtis,
    1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
    1949 1/2 ton pickup
    1963 GT Hawk custom
    1966 Daytona 2dr

quote:Originally posted by chocolate turkey

I pulled the engine from a friends 1962 Lark 6, auto trans, expected to replace the torque converter supplied. Wrong! The nose is the wrong size. Apparently the 63 Lark pump drive is a different size than a 62, and therefore the t/c is wrong.
    Anyone got a torque converter for a 1962 Lark 6? Nearby? (Ferndale, WA.)

This all began because the teeth are stripped off the ring gear. In my past, we would cut the ring gear off and turn it over, rewelding it to the converter.

Brian K. Curtis,
    1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
    1949 1/2 ton pickup
    1963 GT Hawk custom
    1966 Daytona 2dr
    The '63 used that @&*%# small Borg-Warner aluminum transmission, as opposed to the 'big' cast iron Flightomatic in '62. Been there, done that, found that out too......<G>

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I feel better knowing I wasn't the only one! THNX

Brian K. Curtis,
      1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
      1949 1/2 ton pickup
      1963 GT Hawk custom
      1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

Brian, get a hold of me. I can check with Cascade Torque Converters to see if they happen to have a new or good used ring gear for that unit. Should be home most of the day tomorrow Talledega's on the tube. Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

Brian, I know I have a cast-iron Flightomatic and torque converter for a six-cylinder at home, and, if all goes well, I plan to be down your way inside of a week or so. So if you come up dry locally, let me know, and I'll bring it with me.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks Gord! $$ is a problem with this guy, so if you are selling low, I'll buy it from you and trade you the 63! I can deal with him later.

Brian K. Curtis,
            1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
            1949 1/2 ton pickup
            1963 GT Hawk custom
            1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

Oh, and Lou, Thanks, I'll do that if I can't get a t/c. As I mentioned $$$$ is an issue here. I'm probably doing the whole thing without comp.

Brian K. Curtis,
              1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
              1949 1/2 ton pickup
              1963 GT Hawk custom
              1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

Working...
              X