Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restore or part out? To be or not to be...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore or part out? To be or not to be...

Hi,

What criteria would you follow when deciding if a car is worth restoring or if it should make the ultimate and generous sacrifice to become a donor car?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks,
    Terri

Simple. Take the resale value for the car at the level you intend to restore it. Add how much money, if any you are willing to lose to that figure. If you can't restore it for that figure, part it out or sell it to someone with deep pockets and a big heart.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Too many variables to give an answer to that. Not only are year, model, body style, equipment, starting condition, scarcity, and price all factors, there are things like personal preference, sentimentality, and just whether a given car gives you a kick. That all is topped off by resto cost... most restorations end up costing more than their market value; some more than others. To me personally, knowing I've saved a car for future enjoyment is worth quite a lot; your mileage may vary.

I'd think the best way is to bring the particulars to this forum, along with pictures, and get some input from the members. Factor that in, but it would only be a small part of the decision. At some point you have to custom-tailor the decision to yourself only.

Keep in mind two things: Most anything you need for most all Studes is available; and, they ain't makin' 'em anymore!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Everyone is different. I have just started on my third car that should have been put in a crusher and actually ended my retirement and went back to work to pick up some spending cash to pay for the job. (I am opposed to spending the kids orthodontia money on fixing up old cars) For what I'm going to spend on it I could have had a nice vacation to the west and gotten a car shipped back here. But thats not what I wanted. I enjoy the challenge of saving something. I think the most important question is what do you want to do and what will you enjoy. If you want to tinker and have some time and some money, save it.
        Bill

http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
        sigpic

Comment

Hi again,

The car in question is a 1963 GT Hawk. It's not in terrible condition but has lots of bondo, poorly done rust repair & a seized 289 engine. The interior is decent, it has front disc brakes and is mostly complete. Other Studebaker folks have looked at it and recommended a frame up restoration. I am a beginner and this project is more than I can handle for a first time restorer.

I have dismantled other cars, so I already know how to do that. The decision to part out those cars was much easier as the frames and bodies were very rusty and not safe.

I just don't want to feel guilty later for pronouncing her dead before she has truly passed.

thanks, Terri

Comment

Late GTs are pretty awesome cars. I vote to save when possible... but it's also important to know your limits!

Maybe instead of parting you could sell it complete to one of those guys who think it should be restored?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I bought 3 GT's in at least that good of condition for around 2-3K and sold them all, but at least one maybe two were later parted out.

JDP/Maryland
              "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
              Thomas Jefferson
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Without knowing what you've invested so far:

I've parted out several vehicles that were beyond my wherewithal, only to find out later that other folks would have jumped at the chance to do the restorations: 1950 Land Cruiser, 1960 Convertible & 1963 Cruiser.

If you think the task is more than you want, better candidates await. Explore the market for what you have and look for a project more to your liking. Worse projects than yours have been lovingly resurrected by the person who's ready for the task. You admirably admit you're not ready for this one. Offer it to someone who is and find yourself a project you will truly enjoy.

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Terri- My reply was like a general outline. Now that you've given a specific scenario, I'll add this: If you start from nothing, buy the nicest one you can afford. If your skill or ambition level is low, save up for one that matches. Keep in mind, the hardest to sell are the ones that have been taken apart and given up on.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Terri Smith

Hi,

What criteria would you follow when deciding if a car is worth restoring or if it should make the ultimate and generous sacrifice to become a donor car?
                    Oh that's too easy!

IF ...you have money, restore it ...IF you need money, part it out!

The older I get ...the better I was!

Comment

quote:the hardest to sell are the ones that have been taken apart and given up on.
                      What he said!
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Terri Smith

Hi,

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks,
                        Terri
                        Here is my criteria:

A) Rust
                        b) Rust
                        C) Rust
                        D) Rust
                        E) Rust
                        F) Rust

Well, you get the idea. However, even if you have a solid car, there are other factors if you don't own your own parts pile of usable mechanical parts. I've seen cars with perfect bodies from out west, but had about 800,000 miles on them and there was just no serviceable life left in the drivetrain or suspension and with a ton of stress cracks in the frame. I remember how shocked I was the first time I saw a studebaker engine out west that had been bored .030 and worn out again. Since I live in the salt-belt, I just assumed that on all Studebakers the bodies fell off before the engines ever wore out!

Comment

Yes, rust can be one of the biggest factors. However, I agree that many cars from the "salt belt" are often better in other ways. In addition, many cars in the salt belt were not actually driven in the salt, or have been imported into the salt belt.

For example, almost all of my steering wheels are intact. These alone can cost $800 to replace. Motors are available with only 50K, instead of 300K. Interiors, including leather interiors, are not rotted out. In fact, I have some cars with original, never sat upon, upholstery. (Covered since new). Even tires can be expensive to replace.

In other words, Rust bucket belt cars can be cheaper to have fun with than burned out Texas or California cars with hundreds of thousands of miles and severe sunburn.

I also advocate that perfect is not required to enjoy yourself. Its all about the satisfaction you derieve from the eclectic bunch of car nuts you meet, and the thrill of getting something to go.

Some people that must have cars judged have spent fortunes restoring cars to perfect, but perfection does not last. Even the best restored car will start to show its age in a few years of driving. Some people have spent 10s of thousands on cars worth much less.

You can buy new metal fenders for some models and fibreglass fenders for hawks. Fibreglass fenders are OK with me. Some people and judges are quick to frown on fibreglass parts, but they look good and they don't rust and you can drive them in the rain. This is, after all a Studebaker Drivers' Club.

I applaud CASOs that paint their cars with Tremclad and rollers, do their own upholstery, use some Bondo (actually the aluminized metal filler is much better), struggle with innovative parts and minor modifications. By the way, about 20 years ago, when I was a judge at an event, the Best Paint award was won by a Tremclad-sprayed car. (Unknown until after he accepted the award)

One time, I took 2 weeks of my holidays and completely restored a car, excluding chrome and paint - the car was sent to Maaco in primer after I did any bodywork. 1955 Commander Coupe came out fine - see picture in in car pictures on this site.

In the end, you don't need to spend more a lot to have fun driving it. Just be sure to put a budget together first.

Paul

Comment

Resale value has NOTHING to do with it. What matters is if you WANT to restore it. Why can't people get this through their heads? This is a HOBBY for most of us. It is not rational and it is not a business.

Why do we have a hobby? To make money at the end of the day? Some hobby if you always have to look at the exit strategy.

If it's a rust bucket, but you love the car, restore it! If it's pristine and just needs a little work - restore it! But only if you WANT to. Asking what other people think is a little like asking somebody whether they think you should put your old dog down. Look to your own feelings.

Man, I just want to spit. Do it for the learning experience, do it for the fun of it, do it for the challenge of it. If there's nothing like that calling to you, then part it out. Someone will use the parts and fix up a car that someone DOES love.

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Resale value has NOTHING to do with it. What matters is if you WANT to restore it. Why can't people get this through their heads? This is a HOBBY for most of us. It is not rational and it is not a business.
                              Exactly!
                              When a golfer dies does his estate expect the fairway fairey to
                              reimburse all the green fees spent over the years?

For most of us, it's the DOING that provides recreation. It costs money to kill time in any hobby.
                              Anything not made up in the [u]ultimate</u> sale of the car should be chalked up to "recreation".

We're lucky in that at the end of the day, our hobby means there is [u]something</u> tangible that can be sold to recoup some expenses.
                              Try that with tennis, NFL season tickets, fishing, bird watching, etc, etc.

Sometimes, it seems everyone just looks at the bottom line. Thanks
                              B-J!

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X