PDA

View Full Version : AACA Museum Studebaker Display

Avantidon
10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
As many of you know there is a display of Studebaker vehicles in the AACA Museum in Hershey. This display tells the story of Studebaker in a small way. This display will remain in place through the end of Fall Hershey. If you are planning on a visit to Hershey please stop and see what is on display. If not please enjoy the pictures I have posted here:

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/avantidon/AACA%20Museum%20Display%202008/?start=all

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/avantidon/AACA%20Museum%20Display%202008/DSCN3971.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/avantidon/AACA%20Museum%20Display%202008/DSCN3969.jpg

<center></center>STUDEBAKER EXHIBIT

Date: 9/13/2008 - 10/12/2008
Time: All Day

The Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC) is bringing its 44th Annual International Meet to Lancaster, PA during the week of September 14-20, 2008. In cooperation with the largest single Marque Automobile Club in the country, the AACA Museum will sponsor an exhibit of Studebaker automobiles and horse drawn vehicles.

From a historical perspective this event is like a homecoming for the SDC as the first 100 hundred years of the Studebaker family were spent in Pennsylvania. After arriving in the colonies in 1736 the family remained in the York and Adams County area until 1835 when they moved to Ashland, OH and later on to South Bend, IN where the famous company was founded in 1852.

The exhibit will feature vehicles ranging from horse-drawn Studebaker vehicles of the 1800’s to those of the 60’s. Vehicles to be displayed include a Doctor’s carriage from the 1890’s, a 1911 Studebaker EMF, 1927 Erskine, 1931 President Convertible, 1941 President 4-door sedan, 1950 Pick Up, 1952 Convertible and a 1963 Avanti R-2.

This vehicle display tells the evolutionary story of the Studebaker Manufacturing Company from horse drawn vehicles to gasoline powered cars and trucks. It also shows the versatility of the company. As an example, the 1927 Erskine was designed to include the elegance of a European car and the practicality of an American manufactured vehicle produced by Studebaker.

Also on display in this exhibit are the 1931 Studebaker President Convertible used during the administration of Governor Gifford Pinchot, Governor of Pennsylvania, as his official vehicle. The exhibit will also include a very fresh “barn find” 1941 President recently discovered in a barn less than 50 miles from the museum where it had been stored for over 50 years.

These vehicles will be on display beginning on Saturday September 13, 2008 and will remain in the museum until October 12, 2008.

The museum would like to thank the Keystone Region of the SDC and in particular Donald L Jones in assembling and arranging for this display in the museum in honor of the Studebaker International Meet.

See you in the future as I write about our past

55 prez
10-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Very nice display and thanks for posting the pictures.

studegary
10-01-2008, 02:37 PM
More than the pictures, thanks Don for your effort in making this display happen.
It is nice and would have been nicer if the AACA could have relocated other brand name signs. I can see where it would have been difficult to relocate the Pontiac sign, but it seems like it would have been easy to take the Ford sign down or cover it with something Studebaker. For the casual visitor, especially looking at their pictures after they get home, they may draw the inference that the vehicles are Fords (from the sign).

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

raprice
10-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Many thanks for posting those great photos.
My wife & I visited the AACA museum during the Stude Int'l Meet in Lancaster. We loved the Studebaker exhibit, the "fins" exhibit and the antique motorcycle room, along with the permanent exhibits.
I couldn't get over that '41 President, which was taken from a barn. It's in remarkable shape and has low milage. What a find it was.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
Smithtown,NY

Avantidon
10-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Gary, you are correct that the other make signs should have been moved or covered. However, the Pontiac Sign would have been virtually impossible to move and the others, i did bot even think about the. On the other hand, the is a Studebaker Dealer's Welcome sign hanging from the bottom of a Chandilier between the rows of the Studebakers. This sign is an authentic sign from the family owned Coopr Studebaker dealership that was a 60 year dealer. The Izzer Buggy is owned by Jack Cooper son of the original dealer and the sign is from his collection. Sorry that I do not have pictures of it.

Roger, before the beginning of the year, the 41 President will be road worthy again. The vehicle will not be restored but will be conserved and will run soon and be used on Keystone tours and meet events.

Thanks for the comments as this has been a labor of love and something I had been planning for over a year.