10-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Yah, thats right, get them while they are hot, all my tech articles,
hours of work and careful picture taking to help out my fellow carnuts
and its going bye bye at the end of October. This will effect every
single picture I have posted, including the TKO install, Cobra brake
install and power steering rebuild.

Sorry guys, the Impala, Camaro, and Corvette guys will be crying when
the optispark and LT1 engine seal threads lose their pictures. The end
of an era is here. I cant relay how much this upsets me.

I might have an alternate location, but I figured I better warn all of
you just in case that falls through. Then I will have to go through
and update each of the threads I have created. Thats crazy involved.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

StudeRich
10-01-2008, 02:02 AM
I am very sorry to hear that Tom. I think everyone should close their AOL email accounts and bail on em! They have the worst email system in the World, anyone who uses that obsolete, awkward system should try Yahoo and find out what you are missing.

I have no idea what their "FTP" is, other than to guess that it is a picture hosing site, I have never heard of it until now! [:0]

Boycott AOL! Yeah, that's it! :)

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

bams50
10-01-2008, 05:06 AM
[}:)]:([V] That's pretty annoyingly bad news!! I wonder how many of our threads here will go off into history with little red Xs where the accompanying pictures are supposed to be:( There's too many already[V] I use Photobucket with just a few on Webshots, so not mine...

Tom, I've never been able to figure out how to get my computers to print out a thread correctly, or your trans. thread would already be safely stored in my file cabinet. I guess I'll have to go all out and go to a computer expert to figure it out ASAP.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

65cruiser
10-01-2008, 05:47 AM
I can make an offer here. Send me the pictures and I'll post them on my domain (65cruiser.com). That server is going nowhere. However, you WOULD have to go into every post and edit the picture location.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
www.65cruiser.com

http://www.65cruiser.com/images/studewordy.jpg

StudeRich
10-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Bob; have you tried to cut and paste into a Word Doc.? I use that method often to save helpful posts. You do have to have Word already running when you copy from the Window with the Forum running though. Then once it's saved to the "C" drive it should not be a prob. to print it, but I never bother, since I already have it available any time.

quote:Originally posted by bams50

/Cut/Tom, I've never been able to figure out how to get my computers to print out a thread correctly,/Cut/

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

sbca96
10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
I already created a PDF of the TKO thread and sent it to someone on
this board, I thought it was Robert ... no?

It was a big pain in the butt, since the format gets all screwy, and
there is extra info. I had to copy/paste into Word, then edit the
pages, and then print to PDF to make the file small enough to Email.
I think each page was about 10 MB in Word.

Tom

studeclunker
10-01-2008, 11:25 AM
If anyone wants to print or copy one of Tom's articles, just click on 'Printer Friendly' on the right above the OP on any thread. This formats the screen to be printable or even better copiable to a word document, or any other format.;):D

By the by, I was with Eh? Oh, Hell! for quite a while. Hated every moment of it.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

N8N
10-01-2008, 01:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I have no idea what their "FTP" is, other than to guess that it is a picture hosing site,

Apparently so :P

FTP = File Transfer Protocol, it's basically just a remote-accessable data storage site. e.g. I use a FTP client to upload files to my personal web space (ISP provided.)

I actually would consider switching ISPs over something like that... of course I haven't had an AOL account for a decade or more.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

bams50
10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by sbca96

I already created a PDF of the TKO thread and sent it to someone on
this board, I thought it was Robert ... no?

It was a big pain in the butt, since the format gets all screwy, and
there is extra info. I had to copy/paste into Word, then edit the
pages, and then print to PDF to make the file small enough to Email.
I think each page was about 10 MB in Word.

Tom

Tom, it was me! I thought I had tried printing it, but I haven't tried it with the file you sent yet... my apologies. Thanks again for posting that thread, and sending it... one of the best tech/how to articles I've ever seen!

I tried several times with my very limited computer skills, but as you said, things got screwy; It started printng random parts of the text and pictures, and the first page said "Page one of 67"!! At least I know how to click "cancel"[:I] And clicking on the "printer friendly" version didn't help, so[|)]

It's a shame this is happening... I thought that thread would be a great find for newbies in future years looking for that info:( I know that sometimes I've put a lot of work into something and felt it was under-appreciated; but I know that some do, but just don't say so... plus, I do it for those future newbies who may come along in the future. I wish some of the other knowledgeable folks would make the same effort to share their knowledge like that.

Thanks again; and hope all is well (or at least better) with you and the Mrs.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

N8N
10-01-2008, 06:03 PM
If I had my puter (it's currently having the backlight for the display replaced as it stopped functioning and I just don't have the free time/desire to play with it myself) I'd offer to turn the thread into a basic web page... it's really not that hard. I have an old copy of Mozilla that I use just for the html editor. I'd need copies of the graphics of course...

if this is still an issue in a week or so, and the images are still available, someone remind me, I might knock a couple out. I can't host 'em though, my own stuff pretty much fills up my web space quota. I'd have to email them to someone else to host when they were done. Maybe some of the key ones could get hosted on the SDC site in the tech section?

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

sbca96
10-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks all, I will see what I can do, I didnt go through all that work
just have it disappear in a couple months. Just going back and having
to replace all those links seems like a chore.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

Tom
10-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm surprised AOL is even still around. They seem very 1990s to me from the era of dial-up 56K connections.

sbca96
10-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I kept them since 1996 when I signed on, everyone knows my email, so
it wouldnt make sense to change. Its also been posted in the Avanti
Magazine. At the moment I "only" pay 10 dollars a month, since I have
DSL through Verizon.

A friend of mine is in the process of moving the files to his FTP, so
hopefully that will happen by the end of the month.

Tom

bams50
10-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I know what you mean Tom. When I got my first computer somewhere around 10 years ago from Best Buy it came with MSN service, and an agreement to keep it for at least 3 years. It knocked about $500 off the price. I've always kept it, although others are cheaper. I've downloaded Mozilla, but I never use it despite it's advantages because I much prefer the way MSN's page works. Doesn't have spell check, but I don't need it.

The biggest irritant is the fact that MSN mail will not play nice with my iPhone:( It just is not compatible, no matter what Apple or AT&T try. So I opened a new e-mail account with Yahoo- free, and compatible with anything; including the various hi-speed services. But I still hardly use it. If I ever get hi-speed 'net at my house I'll finally drop the $23.95/month MSN service. I dread doing it, since everybody knows that MSN address, and I'll have to remember all of them and notify. Even worse, I have tons of business accounts that are linked to that address... probably well over a hundred total... I don't know how many will be lost and/or screwed up when that time comes:(

Parish, central NY 13131

sbca96
11-02-2008, 06:45 PM
My friend ripped the files from my FTP, but hasnt uploaded them yet. If
you take a look at any of my tech threads, they have red X's. I guess
its not really a big deal to most on here, since only a few replied. I
will take care of it when I have the time. Site Admin doesnt believe
in a Tech section, nor stickys like other forums, important info gets
lost on this site all the time. No one seems to care. The same few
questions get asked over and over. I spent hours creating those tech
articles, they quietly died on Halloween.[V]

The TKO thread has lost its flair.[B)]

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13734

Tom

bams50
11-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Tom, I think plenty of folks appreciated that tech article. It's the nature of the beast that only a small percentage acknowledge or comment on things like this. You can't get yourself bothered by it. Just know you did a great service to the hobby, and be proud of that.

Your article changed the path of my Daytona project. Thanks again!

Parish, central NY 13131

DEEPNHOCK
11-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Send them over to Sonny at the Racing Studebakers website.
Lot's of people read your stuff there, and Sonny can make them a sticky easy enough.
Are they up on the AOAI site?
Just curious.
Jeff[8D]

My friend ripped the files from my FTP, but hasnt uploaded them yet. If
you take a look at any of my tech threads, they have red X's. I guess
its not really a big deal to most on here, since only a few replied. I
will take care of it when I have the time. Site Admin doesnt believe
in a Tech section, nor stickys like other forums, important info gets
lost on this site all the time. No one seems to care. The same few
questions get asked over and over. I spent hours creating those tech
articles, they quietly died on Halloween.[V]

The TKO thread has lost its flair.[B)]

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13734

Tom

BShaw
11-03-2008, 08:52 AM

Site Admin doesnt believe in a Tech section, nor stickys like other forums, important info gets lost on this site all the time. No one seems to care.[V]

Tom, I really do not understand your comments above.

1. Quite a while ago I posted the link to your thread on the "Tech Tips, Specs & Data" page. I emailed you asking permission to do so and you replied in the affirmative.

2. Yes, we could add all kinds of stickies on the Tech Forum page. If I start doing that it would eventually fill the main page with stickies and further frustrate people wanting to see the [u]current</u> topics without going to page 2.

3. The last time this "issue" was discussed on the forum I recommended that people include a "HOW TO" in the title of their post to help in the search department.

Your charges that I don't believe in a Tech section (http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/techtips.asp) and "no one seems to care" are untrue and you know it.

If that were MY tech thread (and it IS a good one or I wouldn't have made it a permanent link on the Tech page) and if I believed it should be maintained I'd find a more reliable picture hosting service like Photobucket, upload my photos and relink them to the thread. Done deal.

Sure, it's some work for you but blame AOL not me or the forum.

You are correct that without the photos the thread has minimal value. If you are not going to update the photo links email me off-forum and I will remove the permanent link on the Tech page. If you are moving the entire thread/photos to another location/forum, email me the link and I will update my Tech page link to point to the new location.

BShaw, Webmaster

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/StudeDriveLogo_small.jpg
webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
Woodbury, Minnesota

sbca96
11-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Bob, I got you confused with Bob Johnstone, I apologize. I was also
not aware of a "Tech Tips, Specs & Data" page. Where is this located?
I have a direct link to the forum, and never visit the front SDC page.

What I was refering too was a forum within the Tech Forum that would
be just for stickies. A worthy tech article (I dont mean JUST mine, I
have seen others that are certainly worthy) could either be moved to
the sticky forum, or a redirect could be added to the stickie forum
to send you to the right place. It sounds like thats done in the "Tech
Tips, Specs & Data" page, you refered too. You are right that once a
bunch of stickies get added, one has to scroll down to current posts,
which is why a forum within the forum could be useful.

I WILL be updating the threads, I have their current locations saved
in a txt file so I can find them easily.

You are correct in stating I am upset with AOL. I never thought I was
going to have to deal with this at all. Hours and hours of work that
I have to redo now. Its not JUST this forum. Sigh.

Jeff, I was actually hosting the pictures on my own FTP, so ALL of my
posts are effected, on EVERY forum I frequent. Thats literally 1000's
of posts I have to hunt down and fix. So yes the thread exists on the
Studebaker Racing forum, and AOAI, but all red Xs now.[V]

Tom