Straight axle steering arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight axle steering arm

I need a right hand side straight axle steering arm (the style with two tie rod end holes vs. one hole) for a project, anyone got an extra? TIA!! oldcarfart@aol.com

Alright Calvin, I'm curious. You're asking for straight axle parts on a Stude forum... What ya buildin'? [8D]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I am looking at making a cross-steering setup (i.e. 32 Ford w/ vega steering box)for Studebakers to use a modern steering box (manual or power steering)with 99% OEM Studebaker existing parts. It's just an experiment now but may be a low-cost alternative upgrade with all bolt on parts. My budget is limited but mechanical resources and experience are documented.

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Alright Calvin, I'm curious. You're asking for straight axle parts on a Stude forum... What ya buildin'? [8D]

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

OCF,
        Will this be for a straight (beam) axle like a gasser, or will the Stude A arms, king pins, etc. be retained and only the center bellcrank eliminated?

Like this (the ones with two holes)?...

What will it be bolting to?

Will those available on the hot rod aftermarket work?

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

If you're using a beam axle, couldn't you just use Studebaker pickup parts? My brother's Transtar has a GM cross steer box with everything else from the box to the wheel all Studebaker.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Calvin is probably looking for a Stude part no. 678668

Comment

bypassing the center bellcrank only.

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

OCF,
              Will this be for a straight (beam) axle like a gasser, or will the Stude A arms, king pins, etc. be retained and only the center bellcrank eliminated?

Like this (the ones with two holes)?...

What will it be bolting to?

Will those available on the hot rod aftermarket work?

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

YES! or similar item.

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Calvin is probably looking for a Stude part no. 678668

Comment

Bypassing the center bellcrank ONLY? Surely you don't intend to run a steering rod from one steering arm over to the other. Or are you going to weld the two hole arm to a pitman arm on a box steering left to right instead of fore and aft? Why not just cut off the bellcrank arms leaving the rear one and hook a rod from the new box to a juncture on the rear bellcrank arm in the location of the inner tie rod ends? Like I did.

Comment

why not? ford and many others did it for years, it's called cross-steering, very popular in street rods and big trucks.
                    "Like I did", so yours is the only way?

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Bypassing the center bellcrank ONLY? Surely you don't intend to run a steering rod from one steering arm over to the other. Or are you going to weld the two hole arm to a pitman arm on a box steering left to right instead of fore and aft? Why not just cut off the bellcrank arms leaving the rear one and hook a rod from the new box to a juncture on the rear bellcrank arm in the location of the inner tie rod ends? Like I did.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by oldcarfart

I am looking at making a cross-steering setup (i.e. 32 Ford w/ vega steering box)for Studebakers to use a modern steering box (manual or power steering)with 99% OEM Studebaker existing parts. It's just an experiment now but may be a low-cost alternative upgrade with all bolt on parts. My budget is limited but mechanical resources and experience are documented.

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

OCF,

Believe I understand what you are thinking about. Mount a cross-steer box, and run a tie rod to a 'two hole' steering arm on the passenger side spindle. The existing two tie rods that run between the steering arms and the bellcrank would remain, right? That would allow you to run just about any cross steer box, power or manual. Slick.....

Am I thinkin' right??

Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

You are right, but you have to make a bracket that mounts the Vega or 122 under the frame rail and would need a few u-joints and some mods to the steering column including placing a bearing in the column end. Myself if I were going to do cross steer I would use the Flaming River cross steer rack. Speedway has them P/N 910-32245 for $329. or see if you can just buy the rack and make your own brackets but I don't think that would reduce the price that much.

Comment

My way the only way? Don't get silly on me man. If you don't want help from somebody who already eliminated the drag link and simplified the whole system, that's fine with me.

Comment

BINGO! IF this works it will open up a low cost option for steering box options, I want to make a bracket that will also easily mount.

quote:Originally posted by r1lark

quote:Originally posted by oldcarfart

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

OCF,

Believe I understand what you are thinking about. Mount a cross-steer box, and run a tie rod to a 'two hole' steering arm on the passenger side spindle. The existing two tie rods that run between the steering arms and the bellcrank would remain, right? That would allow you to run just about any cross steer box, power or manual. Slick.....

Am I thinkin' right??

Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

that's one option among many this would open a window to.

quote:Originally posted by Alan

You are right, but you have to make a bracket that mounts the Vega or 122 under the frame rail and would need a few u-joints and some mods to the steering column including placing a bearing in the column end. Myself if I were going to do cross steer I would use the Flaming River cross steer rack. Speedway has them P/N 910-32245 for $329. or see if you can just buy the rack and make your own brackets but I don't think that would reduce the price that much.

Comment

Working...
                              X