PDA

View Full Version : Yuma Studebird Update

paintim613
09-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Some of you may remember my story about our '53 custom Starlight from Custer,SD, that has been in my wife's family since the 50's. Work done by her uncle and father transformed it into a T-Bird lookalike in profile including a continental kit. We brought it to Yuma Labor Day weekend, 2003, and have had a lengthy and often frustrating restoration process, something many of you can identify with. We have replaced 6V with 12V, added AC, redone upholstery, added PS and PB, replaced 55 Chevy hood ornament (rechromed and for sale) with a 53 Stude one, new white over red paint job, etc. We have been told all work will be completed by the end of the year. Knock on wood. If so, we will be able to use it as a daily driver, display it at Midnight at the Oasis parade and car show here in March, take it club meetings in Phoenix and local classic car get togethers, and put some miles on it next July 4th. While we still plan to get a fancier interior installed by our son-in-law and get a retro Stude radio/CD player, there may not be too much left to be done after this phase is finished. The dash, steering wheel, and V8 engine with 18,000 miles are original. Pictures to follow, hopefully, in January.

Tim-'53 Custom Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ

41 Frank
09-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I'll be looking forward to seeing it next March, Tim. We are registered for the "Midnight at the Oasis"show along with Denny L., we will bring our 41 Champion rod.

Frank van Doorn
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1963 Daytona Conv
1941 Champion R-2 Rod

Green53
09-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Yep!!! We will be there with the Green53. Any other Studes coming?
Denny L

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff85/Daytona64/53Stude2015.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
09-28-2008, 09:52 PM
How 'bout some in progress pics, Tim?

Sounds like a neat car with a neat history. [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg