Valve Cover Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Cover Racing

Does anyone (that is coming to Cedar Rapids next year) have access to a valve cover racing track? Al said he would set up races for us.... but he needs a track. Several street rod clubs have them but we are still trying to locate one in our area.
    Studebaker valve cover racers rock![8D]

duane miller

I have one. It was given to me. The manufacturers (another car club) did not want it back.

The problems with the one I've got is that it is very, very heavy, awkward to carry - requires a car trailer - and has been sitting outside for the last few years because it is too big and nobody wants to store it. Three 8 or 10 foot sections.

My dear wife still has not given it the Boot, although it (or me) is probably facing it soon.

Free to good home. (probably $200 in lumber, paint and hardware.)

Paul R - Ontario, Canada

Comment

Okay, we'll bite. WHAT is a valve cover racer and track? Do you have any pictures? Kind of sounds like snipe hunting to us... )

John and Tracy Smith
      Queen Creek Arizona

Comment

Kind of like the Cub Scouts' pinewood derby race cars, but made out of a valve cover.
        Gravity powered, so they start on a ramp.

Lots of brand specific clubs have "competitions", which may be won by crossing the finish line first thru a series of eliminations, but generally evolve to having categories based on contestants' style and imagination as well.

Google image - valve cover racer

Comment

The track at Charlotte is much larger than Dan's photo. I didn't take a picture of it, but you can see a part of it behind Dave T-Bow's car. I think it was about 20 to 25 feet long.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

Okay, we'll bite. WHAT is a valve cover racer and track? Do you have any pictures? Kind of sounds like snipe hunting to us... )

John and Tracy Smith
            Queen Creek Arizona
            John/Tracy,

Check out this Forum thead: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...e,cover,racing
            It has pictures of the tracks, racers, etc.

Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I have a 61 ohv left over that could be made into one if the races get organized. All I ask is that I get a credit like a NASCAR sponsor somewhere on the side. it can be the tiny one near the back no one sees LOL [B)][B)]

ChopStu
              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Duane

Ther e is one in the hands of the North Carolina International Meet Committee. If you plan on conducting a Valve Cover Race you are far ahead of the game ti make your own track. Why? The packing and shipping of the track will be prohibitive and far exceed the cost of building one since they are generally one piece and can be up to 20' long. Of course that is just my opinion. We looked into it for Lancaster but couldn't figure out a good time to have it based on all that was taking place.
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Hi Duane;
                  One of our Ozark Trails members has a very nice two lane portable, foldable (two section) track that would probably fit in the bed of a pickup. I don't know if he would consent to loaning it or transporting it to Cedar Rapids. Our chapter used it at a couple of meetings but the concept didn't really generate much interest. I think we had about five valve covers at the most. I remember the one at Charlotte but I don't know what the participation was like. Let me know if you are interested and I will talk with our member as they are not computer equipped.

Jim Caldwell

Comment

Thanks for the lead Jim... if anyone else has one also... let us know in case this lead does not pan out.

I participated in Spokane and we had several participants. One of the kids took a valve cover he purchased at the swap meet, screwed it to a skateboard and added a '51 hood ornament (with bungee cords; if I remember right)for weight.
                    [8D]Watch the weight, our SDC vice-President was disqualified in Charlotte... he was about 10 pounds overweight..... the limit is 10 pounds and it MUST have started life as a Studebkaer valve cover.

duane miller

Comment

Thanks for the info! Sounds like fun! We're going to look into finding something to participate in around our area. Our kids would love it.

John and Tracy Smith
                      Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/studebakertruck/IMG_7458.jpg

Comment

I've been thinking about making one of those racers, with either a 289 cover, or a Champion 6 cover.

But then I'd have to make a track.

And there'd be no competition.

So, what's the fun in that? [)]

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

GOOD NEWS... A track has been secured for the Cedar Rapids Meet.... watch for future announcements![8D]

duane miller

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I've been thinking about making one of those racers, with either a 289 cover, or a Champion 6 cover.

But then I'd have to make a track.

And there'd be no competition.

So, what's the fun in that? [)]

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Just drive up the road to the Tri-State meet in North Carolina. They have valve cover racing every year.

Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Those valve cover racers are to cool. But you might end up getting beat at top end by a kid with a flat head.[]

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                              X