Modern transmission ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern transmission ?

This is a virgin post guys so go easy on me!

I am buying a 63 Wagonaire which has an automatic trans behind a 259. I am thinking of putting in a standard 3 speed transmission with o/d (if I can find one) or modernising it with a 4 speed auto or better. The reason is that we want to restore this one and drive a lot of miles.

I don't want to replace the 259 as I would like to keep it as original as I can - also it only has a genuine 40,000 on the clock.

Any suggestions?

64 Daytona Wagon
    Richard
    63 Daytona Wagonaire
    64 Daytona Wagon
    Melbourne

Welcome to the Forum!

I can't speak to the availability of 3-speed + overdrive transmissions in Australia; they are relatively plentiful here in North America. If you could find a V8 standard-shift parts car from any year '61 through '64, it should yield all the necessary parts to retro-fit an overdrive manual tranny.

There are a couple of vendors based in the USA who sell adaptors that permit the installation of a GM TH700R4 or TH200R4 automatic transmission with overdrive. You will also need an electrical harness to operate the convertor lockup.

I don't know how the automatic shifter is set up in a RHD car, so likely you would be on your own. A floor shifter from one of the street-rod suppliers, such as Lokar, might be your best option.

There are several members who post here who have done this sort of swap. I plan to do one, and have the adaptor kit, but have not yet begun to work on it.

If you could score an overdrive-equipped parts car for the right price, that would likely be the cheapest option, and any missing parts could be found in the Studebaker parts catalogs.

There may be some suitable transmission donors for an overdrive automatic swap amongst cars or utes sold only in Australia; perhaps some of our members from there can advise you as to that.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Richard! [8D] New "posters" always welcome. [^]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009?
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks so far fellas.

Richard
        64 Daytona Wagon
        Melbourne
        Richard
        63 Daytona Wagonaire
        64 Daytona Wagon
        Melbourne

Comment

Nice to have another Aussie onlist, even a "Victorian" (Smile)

The guys are great and can answer almost anything.

John Clements
          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
          Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
          Lockleys South Australia
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

To answer your question...my 54 Conestoga will be getting a GM T-200-4R behind the 299 Stude engine I am building.
            I went kinda overboard on this trans. as it originally for another car...my Chevy powered 60 Lark 2dr wagon!

So now...I have to get another T-200-4R for that car!

Light weight, good gear ratios, low internal drag losses.

The T-700 is also out there, but with the same rebuild costs, the T-200 is a better overall value...in my opinion.

Oh yea...adapters are available...see add in Turning Wheels.

Mike

Comment

Welcome Richard. I applaud your goals with this wagon. Keep that engine! It's as much a part of a Studebaker as the distinctive sheet metal.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X