U-Tube Video: Plain Brown Wrapper's Last Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-Tube Video: Plain Brown Wrapper's Last Run

Here is what proved to be George Krem's Plain Brown Wrapper on it's last trip down the Mid-Michigan Motorplex, early evening Friday, September 12, 2008. This was during the three-hour window of abbreviated practice squeezed in before persistant rain cancelled the entire 2008 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race Saturday, September 13.

Larry Mitchell is operating Ted Harbit's new video camera, admitting so much light the venue actually appears more "daylight" than it was, making the race easier to see than it would have been otherwise. Larry accidentally called out the competitor as a Buick, but it is really a 1970 Olds 442, equipped with a 455 engine producing 365 HP through a Turbo-Hydramatic transmission. The driver appears to put a hole shot on Ted, but that's because he got jumpy (can you blame him?) and "just barely" red-lighted!

The gentleman whose head is seen early in the video is our friend Tom Shaw. The 'Wrapper's pilot, of course, is Ted Harbit.

The car won its first race here September 11, 1998 and won its last race, this one, eleven years later: September 12, 2008. A 55-second closing chapter of a fine legacy for Studebaker fans everywhere, courtesy of Richard "R1" Poe. Thanks, Richard.

Enjoy, all! BP

George Krem's R 3 Challenger at the 2008 PSMCDR on it's last run driven by Ted Harbit.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

BP,

Hard to believe it has been ten years since the Wrapper showed up at Mid-Michigan to show some of the less knowledgeable that the Big-3 are not the only ones who built cars that were quick.

Since my father drag raced a 51 Starlight back in the late sixties/early seventies, I always made it a point of taking the Turning Wheels around so he could read about the races when they appeared - and he always enjoyed it.

I wonder if the National Museum would consider putting up a permenant display with a Christmas tree, some "rubberized" black top and some cardboard cut outs of Krem and Harbit - they could have some video steaming showing what it looked like going down the strip.

Someone who is good with video editing could probably put together a video detailing the Wrapper's ten years of fame.

Thanks

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
    [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

Great stuff! (sure looked wet out there)

Chris Pile
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 62champ

BP,

Hard to believe it has been ten years since the Wrapper showed up at Mid-Michigan to show some of the less knowledgeable that the Big-3 are not the only ones who built cars that were quick.

Since my father drag raced a 51 Starlight back in the late sixties/early seventies, I always made it a point of taking the Turning Wheels around so he could read about the races when they appeared - and he always enjoyed it.

I wonder if the National Museum would consider putting up a permenant display with a Christmas tree, some "rubberized" black top and some cardboard cut outs of Krem and Harbit - they could have some video steaming showing what it looked like going down the strip.

Someone who is good with video editing could probably put together a video detailing the Wrapper's ten years of fame.

Thanks

Thanks, Champ. Did your father know Ted Harbit "way back then" in the late 60s/early 70s? There were only a handful of guys around the country running the lower stock classes with '51-'52 Commanders, so I'll bet they at least knew of each other. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

Great stuff! (sure looked wet out there)

Chris Pile
          Midway Chapter SDC
          The Studebaker Special
          [:0] You're right, Chris: The track was plenty dry and safe after working on it for hours off and on all day, but they sure couldn't spend any time drying off everything else! BP

Comment

quote:

Thanks, Champ. Did your father know Ted Harbit "way back then" in the late 60s/early 70s? There were only a handful of guys around the country running the lower stock classes with '51-'52 Commanders, so I'll bet they at least knew of each other. BP
            All the racing was done at small tracks in the Central Texas area. While he never met Ted, he knew who he was by reading the class leaders from around the country.

They had the same kind of results - even beating a Dodge with the 440/six pack with that little 232...

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
            [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
            [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

I guess that the P.B.W. proved that power doesn't have to come in a big package. In fact, it kinda sorta proved that size and weight, as in a large block and car, are really a dis-advantage. Also, who's behind the wheel is extremely important. Whadaya think they might call the next one? Discount store special, perhaps (LOL)[?]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ddub

Last run or most recent run? Is the PBW being retired?

Don Wilson
                Yes, Don; it is. See the discussion about halfway through the other, current, Pure Stock Drags thread. BP

Comment

I guess we caught you sleeping Don!

You need to read this: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=22545

quote:Originally posted by ddub

Last run or most recent run? Is the PBW being retired?
                  Don Wilson
                  StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What a classy sendoff...I carry the "historicity gene", this sort of thing always gets me! From the comment midway down the thread, it sounds like the Wrapper is going to be spending some time at SNM; is that the case?

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Steve T

What a classy sendoff...I carry the "historicity gene", this sort of thing always gets me! From the comment midway down the thread, it sounds like the Wrapper is going to be spending some time at SNM; is that the case? S.
                      Actually, Steve; it already has spent about a year on display at The Studebaker National Museum, but in the old Freeman-Spicer-based museum building maybe 8 years ago. While there are no current plans to place it in the new Studebaker National Museum, there's no reason it couldn't spend some time there in the future. BP

Comment

Hi Bob--

Cool...that's before my time in SDC (albeit I was aware of the existence of the old Freeman-Spicer Building edition of SNM). I like the concept mooted in the other post about the drags display though, cutouts, video projection and all; an excellent idea for a display. Have never yet been to SNM in any of its locations; hope to visit soon. (Wish we could cajole our own city fathers into setting up some sort of Stude-centric display in the old, and still solid as a rock, factory building here...)

S.

Comment

quote:
                          I guess that the P.B.W. proved that power doesn't have to come in a big package. In fact, it kinda sorta proved that size and weight, as in a large block and car, are really a dis-advantage. Also, who's behind the wheel is extremely important. Whadaya think they might call the next one? Discount store special, perhaps (LOL)
                          Actually you're not far off the mark Ron. When I hung out with the import guys there were some considerations to take into account prior to going drag racing:
                          Get all of the useless stuff that's not related to the engine out of the car. A few went so far not only to pull panels, but put in panels of carbon fiber to get the weight down. The power from the engine can disappear into getting all that mass down the track in an effective manner.
                          Get as much power out of the powerplant, which involved the usual; bigger injectors, piggyback computer systems, better computers, pistons, cam, head, exhaust, timing components, high flow cat, and improvements to the induction system such as improved turbo unit, improved scroll wheel, etc(if it had one)
                          Improve suspension, tires, wheels, etc.....

Add in a driver that knows the capabilities of the car and suddenly the playing field is levelled against the guy in the other lane with the big block. In the verrry general sense it became a race of the large fire breathing monster against the guy who's using technology and the efficiencies of the engine.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                          [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                          [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Videos like that encourage me to get our car done quicker. Thank you

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                            58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                            58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                            62 Daytona (White)
                            63 R2 Lark (Super Red)
                            57 Packard Wagon parts car
                            57 Packard sedan parts car
                            58 Packard 2 dr hdtp parts car

Comment

End of an era. I like 62 Champ's idea.

Bob, does George ever just take the Wrapper out for a liesurely cruise on occasion, or does it mostly do garage time?[:I]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X