Help With Horns????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Horns????

Is there anyway to fix the horns on the 54 coupe? I have two sets and I have tried one set and they will not work, So, before I mess with the second set I was wandering if there is a way to soak them in something, or lubricate them with something that may allow them to work again. I am not familiar with the internal workings of these horns so I am somewhat at a lost on how to make them work again. Thanks for your help.

Domenic Manera
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe
    Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
    City of York Fire Department
    York, SC 29745

Somewhere many years ago... I had a tech-page on the inner workings of the older Stude Horns (pre-'62 Sparton horns)...
    For the life of me, I don't know how it got taken down from the tech-pages. I have several dozen back-up CD's from years ago.. But I'll try to find it and post it again.

What I found back then is that there are 2 main factors to a horn not working.
    1) The contact points are corroded
    2) The inner diaphragm is jammed with dirt/rust so it won't vibrate

Both of these can be corrected when the horn is taken apart.
    For now, I would just lubricate the tone-adjustment screw, until I can find or re-create the webpage.

EDIT: Well, I found the photo... but not the text. I'm thinking I may have just sent this to someone via e-mail... but that was 8-years ago..

1) You may need to lubricate the inner shaft with something like PB-Blaster.
    2) Slip a socket over the upper nut on the shaft- and lightly tap it with a hammer- this should break the shaft loose, and loosen any rust. This will then allow up/down movement of the diaphragm.
    3) I don't have a point gap measurement, but I can tell you it's pretty darn close- probably .010 or so
    4) Play with the point gap and keep lubricating/tapping the shaft- and you just might get it to work
    5) Test using a BATTERY or a high-amp starter/charger. A 10amp trickle charger just doesn't carry enough load to operate the horn

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

If you take the cover off the horn you can see the contact points. I found that the horn wont operate with the points adjusted completely open or completely closed. If you can get the points to barely close, try bench testing and if you get any noise or vibration, you can continue to adjust and test until it works properly.

Don

Comment

Thanks very much, at least now I have something to try.

Domenic Manera
        Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
        City of York Fire Department
        York, SC 29745

Comment

Working...
        X