This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to re-register old plates in California

California lets you re-register old license plates IF they are the proper year for your car, AND if you car is model year 1962 or older. I ran across a Web article written by a guy who did this, and offers some tips.

Surprisingly, you can find matched sets of plates on eBay fairly cheap. Thought I'd pass it on.

A site devoted to the restoration, repair and driving of 1930's Plymouth automobiles.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

The key thing is to remember to make sure the plates are 'cleared' with the DMV. Also, buy the best plates you can. My understanding is that the state of California does not allow restored plates. Now, nothing can stop you from having the plates restored after the plates are registered so they don't have to be perfect.

Many states outside of California also allow YOM plates, but not all. And they all have their own rules and regulations. Some are far easier than others (Michigan, Ohio) and some can be a pain (California, New York, Massachusetts).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
    Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
    LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The key thing is to remember to make sure the plates are 'cleared' with the DMV. Also, buy the best plates you can. My understanding is that the state of California does not allow restored plates. Now, nothing can stop you from having the plates restored after the plates are registered so they don't have to be perfect.

Many states outside of California also allow YOM plates, but not all. And they all have their own rules and regulations. Some are far easier than others (Michigan, Ohio) and some can be a pain (California, New York, Massachusetts).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I wrote both the historic vehicle license plate act and the later year of manufacture plate law for DC. Obviously, DC has a LOT fewer old cars than California, but I did research on many of the existing laws before drafting the DC bills. The issue of "clearing" the number on the plate(s) with the DMV is critical in states like California that still have legal plates in use that could duplicate the number on a YOM plate. California went to the ABC123 format in 1956, and replaced those plates with the yellow-on-black plates with the same format in 1963. Some of those black plates are still legal and in use. So it's possible that a set of 1960 Calif plates with the number STX123 would not be usable as YOM because the black plates with the same number are still on the street. Even a much older Calif plate from the 1930s (1A23456 format) might duplicate a current Calif truck plate number.

Fortuantely, the universal adoption of multi-year (or even permanent) plates in North America has forced most states and provinces to change their old plate numbering systems, usually for the ABC123 or ABC1234 formats or some variation thereof. This has greatly reduced the likelihood that a vintage plate will duplicate the number on a legal plate.

There are lots of plates for sale on ebay, but plates used for YOM registration must be in good shape and legible. And a matched pair is generally required in states that currently have two plates. Some states insist that the plate class (eg, truck) match the vehicle, and others don't care as long as the number doesn't duplicate a legal plate. George Hamlin has a Maryland sample plate (number 000-000) on one of his vehicles.

Skip
        Skip Lackie

Comment

I wrote both the historic vehicle license plate act and the later year of manufacture plate law for DC. Obviously, DC has a LOT fewer old cars than California, but I did research on many of the existing laws before drafting the DC bills. The issue of "clearing" the number on the plate(s) with the DMV is critical in states like California that still have legal plates in use that could duplicate the number on a YOM plate. California went to the ABC123 format in 1956, and replaced those plates with the yellow-on-black plates with the same format in 1963. Some of those black plates are still legal and in use. So it's possible that a set of 1960 Calif plates with the number STX123 would not be usable as YOM because the black plates with the same number are still on the street. Even a much older Calif plate from the 1930s (1A23456 format) might duplicate a current Calif truck plate number.

Fortuantely, the universal adoption of multi-year (or even permanent) plates in North America has forced most states and provinces to change their old plate numbering systems, usually for the ABC123 or ABC1234 formats or some variation thereof. This has greatly reduced the likelihood that a vintage plate will duplicate the number on a legal plate.

There are lots of plates for sale on ebay, but plates used for YOM registration must be in good shape and legible. And a matched pair is generally required in states that currently have two plates. Some states insist that the plate class (eg, truck) match the vehicle, and others don't care as long as the number doesn't duplicate a legal plate. George Hamlin has a Maryland sample plate (number 000-000) on one of his vehicles.

Skip
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Also depends on the DMV office you go to. Some can be a pain in the rear...some can be pretty nice about it.

Been to both...

Mike

Comment

Also depends on the DMV office you go to. Some can be a pain in the rear...some can be pretty nice about it.

Been to both...

Mike

Comment

Mike and me both being in California, I'll echo his observation. Some of these clerks will go to great lenghts for you and others will dismiss you at the slightest snag! Helps if you put on the charm when your turn at the counter comes![:X]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mike and me both being in California, I'll echo his observation. Some of these clerks will go to great lenghts for you and others will dismiss you at the slightest snag! Helps if you put on the charm when your turn at the counter comes![:X]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I thought the best law was in Ohio. If I remember correctly, because they use a 'vintage' plate that can be kept in the glove box, they'll let you use whatever state plate you want as long as the year matches. In other words, you could put a set of Iowa plates on that Ohio car as long as they are '63's on your '63.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I thought the best law was in Ohio. If I remember correctly, because they use a 'vintage' plate that can be kept in the glove box, they'll let you use whatever state plate you want as long as the year matches. In other words, you could put a set of Iowa plates on that Ohio car as long as they are '63's on your '63.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Virginia is another state that lets you register old plates. They also used to issue a "convertible" plate (CONV) which was for people who used their car for business and personal use. These have become very popular for people with convertibles.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Virginia is another state that lets you register old plates. They also used to issue a "convertible" plate (CONV) which was for people who used their car for business and personal use. These have become very popular for people with convertibles.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

And here I am with five sets of good 1963 CA plates...[V]

Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

And here I am with five sets of good 1963 CA plates...[V]

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X