Hershey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hershey

While on my way home I noticed the sign that said Hershey.

I pulled of the highway and another sign said Hershey, 8 miles.

I decided that I had to go ahead and make a visit, being that close.

While there, I visited the AACA Museum. Very nice, but you know what? I honestly believe our Stdebaker Museum in South Bend can hold its own next to the AACA's. I think we really have something to be proud of!

fstst56

The AACA Museum is wonderful, and a must for anyone in the area but, you are correct! I think the Studebaker Museum is superior in all aspects.

I would also invite a side-by-side comparison of the AACA publication and TURNING WHEELS. There just isn't any comparison.

To be fair, AACA aims for a broad appeal. Without the specificity we have come to expect, AACA can't get in to the detailed minutiae we rely upon in every issue.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Johnny, I hope you enjoyed the Studebaker display that was located on the lower level of the museum in Hershey. It was placed there by the Keystone Region Chapter (me) for the enjoyment of all at the request of the Museum's Curator, Jeff Bliemeister. The display was meant to depict the variety of vehicles built by Studebaker and at the same time to tell the story of Studebaker.

As Brad has stated, the AACA is the largest single car club in the country with over 62,000 members and must appeal to many different interests which in my opinion they do. The museum by necessity must appeal to the masses but yet still tell the automobile story which it does effectively. As an example, in the Carmack Gallery they rotate the vehicles once every six months to show different facets of the history of the automobiles. Last fall that gallery was full of pickup trucks from different manufacturers including Studebaker telling the pickup story. This spring it was rotated to tell the "FINS" story The SNM is a great museum for a single vehicle Marque and is one of the best in the country and does a great job telling the Studebaker story while the AACA Museum tells the total vehicle story as it should as it's mission is just a tad bit different that of the SNM. Of course this is just my humble opinion.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Avantidon,

Yes, I did notice the Studebaker display on the lower level.
        Thanks for the explanation, as I had wondered about it.
        I thought maybe we had an inside track, guess I was right.

Thanks for all your hard work at Lancaster, with your local chapter and with the AACA.

fstst56

Comment

Johhny,

Thank you for your comments on the meet. Keystone Region Chapter, and particularly, the many members of the 2008 International Meet Committee deserve a huge "Thank You" for a job well done. Without their help and support through the planning, we couldn't have done it!

Denny Foust

Comment

Working...
          X