PDA

View Full Version : I'm in South Bend!

showbizkid
09-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Sitting here on the 11th floor of the Holiday Inn City Center tonight, with plans to visit SASCO and the SNM tomorrow before heading to Cleveland on business. I'm just so excited - had to share it with y'all! :D

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
www.studebakersandiego.com

BobPalma
09-21-2008, 09:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Sitting here on the 11th floor of the Holiday Inn City Center tonight, with plans to visit SASCO and the SNM tomorrow before heading to Cleveland on business. I'm just so excited - had to share it with y'all! :D

Clark in San Diego

:) Cool beans, Clark. If you can possibly do it, drive or take your rental car 'way out west on Indiana State Road 2 from South Bend and see the Studebaker Proving Ground on the south side of the road. You've seen enough pictures of it through the years that you'll recognize it. The mailing address is actually New Carlisle IN.

Enjoy! :DBP

bams50
09-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Cool[8D] I enjoyed it last year, and am going to be delivering a car there in the next few weeks. I will of course be hitting SASCO and the museum again while I'm there.

I'm hoping to score a Stude parts car of some kind somewhere along my route- you know, something that would be worth saving, but not if you had to make a special trip after it;)

If anyone has one in the vicinity of SB or along the way, lemme know!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

barnlark
09-21-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm on the way in the Cleveland area, so I'll be glad to be of any help for special parts searching, etc., if I can. I work downtown and live east about 25 minutes south of I-90 or 25 minutes north of I-80.

bams50
09-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I can also courier parts to or from my place and SB, or along the way if anyone needs.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Warren Webb
09-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Enjoy yourself Clark! I had the occasion only once so far of visiting So. Bend in '94 & can only imagine what that would be like now. So much has changed. Some for the better such as the new museum & so much is now just memories such as many of the plant buildings are now gone. At the time of my visit, the Avanti plant & buildings across the street from it were already history, but walking around I remember the remains of a forklift with a Stude guage cluster behind the old Newman & Altman buildings, the boarded up hole where the body conveyor once was, walking around the old railyard & imagining new cars coming out of the final assembly building. How massive everything was and how sad it had become. Please send our greetings to Dennis & his staff at SASCO & how we appreciate their hard work & support. Most of all, LOTS of pictures!

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

StudeRich
09-22-2008, 02:12 AM
Clark; if you go here at The Studebaker National Museum:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/SamMillerbrick.jpg

You will see this:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/GahlbeckBrickSNM.jpg

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Bill Pressler
09-22-2008, 03:54 AM
You should knock on the door of the Archives Building right across the street (just south of the museum, same side of Chapin St.) and you'll probably get a nice free tour of the Archives Center...interesting in itself.

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

8E45E
09-22-2008, 07:47 AM

If you have the time, check out the old Foundry. I'm guessing it won't be around much longer.:( Do it while you can!

On the way, don't forget to check out the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum and the NATMUS Museum behind it in Auburn.

Craig

barnlark
09-22-2008, 07:56 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Bill Pressler

You should knock on the door of the Archives Building right across the street (just south of the museum, same side of Chapin St.) and you'll probably get a nice free tour of the Archives Center...interesting in itself.

Sheeesh, Bill, you up that early or getting in the house late still looking at that differential? ;):D[:o)]

rusty nut garage
09-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Man I was in Kokomo all week for work. I had to do 10-12 days and never had a chance to sneak up to SB. Enjoy your visit for me!!

Russ

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

showbizkid
09-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Hey guys! I wish I'd had time to do all the cool stuff you suggested. It was a full day though... I started at SASCO and spent a couple hours just walking around gazing at stuff... and knowing that what's on display is just a little bit of what's in the rest of the building. I picked up a NOS set of door handles and a right back-up lamp lens for Barney (small enough to carry back in my luggage).

Then I drove all around the former plant grounds and watched them knock down some more of South Bend Lathe. I drove all around looking for remaining buildings and found a few. Then I found the Administration Building and spent some time peeking through the windows; visited Union Station next door, too. (What a shame that beautiful building isn't being used.)

After that I went to the SNM and exhausted my camera batteries, followed by a visit to the Archive, where I got to meet Andy Beckman. I wanted to get a copy of the Sell Card for my car, but it's one of the ones that's missing... however, the Drive-Away Shipper sheet was on file, so now I know that it was sold by Waters Studebaker on Van Ness in San Francisco.

It was a great day; I wish I'd had another day or two to explore, and a buddy to do it with (always more fun when you've got company). I'll post some pix when I can :)

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard

bams50
09-23-2008, 05:20 AM

It was a great day; I wish I'd had another day or two to explore, and a buddy to do it with (always more fun when you've got company).

Hey Clark, go back in a few weeks when I'll be there! We'll do it right- including rooting through SASCO's musty interior piles[^] Tell the boss you forgot something in SB and you have to go back next month;) We'll peer-pressure Rich D into buying us lunch too:D

Parish, central NY 13131