towing capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• towing capacity

What is the towing capacity of a 62 hawk?

I think the last time someone asked that question it was about a Stude. Truck, and after much discussion I think the bottom line was Studebaker never quoted any towing capacity even on Trucks, so no chance on a car!

Also it is somewhat determined by the aftermarket Draw-Tite, Reese, etc. hitch, which is usually rated at around 2500 LBS. I think.

The consensus of opinion also was that the brakes are the most important constraint as to the safe limit.

I have flat towed (tow barred) Studebakers at least as heavy or more than the Tow Studebaker, over the nine Siskiyou Mountain passes at the Calif. Oregon border all the way from L.A. to above Seattle and back over a dozen times, but I sure do not recommend that any longer, as there is more than enough power in a 289 to pull 3400 LBS. but it is a whole different thing to try to STOP it, or to actually pull a trailer with tongue weight also.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Do you have stae laws about this subject in USA?
      Where I live, the towing limit is max 1.5 the mass of the towing car, even if the car manufacturer allowed more.
      /H

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hank63

Where I live, the towing limit is max 1.5 the mass of the towing car, even if the car manufacturer allowed more.
        /H
        A Hawk weighs about 3400 or so. Towing 5,100 pounds with it would be quite dangerous and completely out of the question IMHO (even if it was legal by the book).

I agree with Rich about the stopping part. The brakes on a Hawk are good, but they are made to stop the Hawk...not the Hawk AND a trailer.

You don't indicate WHAT you want to tow, but I'd say anything more than a little teardrop trailer or something similar in size/weight would be a stretch. Even then, I'd rig up some sort of hitch that attaches to the frame rails...the rear crossmember is pretty flimsy as is the bumper.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Having considerable towing experiance with a Stude, I'd have to agree with Dick. My Champ has sufficient brakes to handle a 3k load, and no more. The wagon can't even handle my 1000lb tool trailer. I mean, both have the same motor and the wagon's is the stronger of the two![B)] Brakes are the problem.[:0]

If one was going to tow a trailer with a stock Stude; a reciever hitch would be essential if the load exceeded the smallest of utility or teardrop trailers. If one wanted to tow anything with a dual axle, brakes on the trailer would be MANDITORY as that weight is too much for the tow vehicle's brakes!

All of the above is opinion, and should be taken in that veign. By the by; both vehicles mentioned are in my sig. line.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Not to detour this topic.. but who else saw the Sunbeam Alpine in Lancaster towing the full size open car trailer??!! Yes, a Sunbeam Alpine...! Never saw it with a vehicle on the trailer, but certainly had many of us scratching our heads...

Now how do those brakes relate to towing weight? [|)]

Regards- Matt

1963 GT Hawk
            1960 Metropolitan Convertible
            1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
            1958 Cushman Eagle
            -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
            1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
            1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

quote:Now how do those brakes relate to towing weight?
              Scary![:0]

Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Seeing the item on the Alpine and the car trailer reminds me of an item I never hear of when it comes to towing: What of wheelbase on the vehicle?
                We had an 85 K Body Blazer we used as a tow vehicle. These Blazers were basically full size truck frames with a wheelbase a little larger than a Lark, with truck rims, suspension, etc. They love to spring from dip to dip on the expressway, rather than absorb them with the way they were set up. We also have a long time owned Doolittle, which is the length of an Avanti and has dual axles. We used this thing to carry about everything from Model A's to our Ford 8N, and to the present Studebakers. What we found is when a large length trailer is combined with an additional mass, and then coupled to a short wheelbase vehicle, you had to be extremelllly careful when stopping. The reason being is, even though the Doolittle has electric brakes, electric lights and the like, when that trailer is asked to stop after the vehicle starts to stop, that Doolittle will travel a little still. With a short wheelbase vehicle that trailer back there will want to push the vehicle in front of it(with everything in order, in a straightline fashion). Nonetheless the mass back there is now just about controlling you, rather than the other way around, so you must take great care with towing with a short frame and a large load. It's also makes sense not to go racing down a freeway at 70 mph on the left with a large load in the rear. [)]

We have moved on though to a long wheelbase F-150, lol

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

A Doolittle? [?] I thought I had at least HEARD of every American made vehicle built since 1946, but never this one! What kind of Truck is it, Simi-Tractor, Flatbed, Stakebed, Pickup? [:0] Maybe it's a nickname for a Chevy!

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A DooLittle is our dovetail open car trailer. We had that, phoo since about 91 or further back. Made by the Doolittle Trailer Mfr Inc...

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                    [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I was looking at a early 60's boat, about 16ft to tow behind it.

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by hank63

/H
                      A Hawk weighs about 3400 or so. Towing 5,100 pounds with it would be quite dangerous and completely out of the question IMHO (even if it was legal by the book).

I agree with Rich about the stopping part. The brakes on a Hawk are good, but they are made to stop the Hawk...not the Hawk AND a trailer.

You don't indicate WHAT you want to tow, but I'd say anything more than a little teardrop trailer or something similar in size/weight would be a stretch. Even then, I'd rig up some sort of hitch that attaches to the frame rails...the rear crossmember is pretty flimsy as is the bumper.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

The term I use for a short wheelbase tow vehicle with a long and/or heavier trailer is "the tail wagging the dog" NOT RECOMMENDED!

I towed a 26 ft Travel Trailer (7400 lbs empty) with a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. The striaght line towing was great. Lane changes, curves, braking and any combination of those was white knuckle time![:0]
                        The next summer I bought a 95 Chev Suburban and had no problems. Interestingly, the Jeep would accelerate (while towing) from 40-60 in about half the distance as the Suburban!

55 Commander
                        58 Transtar
                        62 GT Hawk
                        66 Cruiser

Comment

Matt, Did you look close at that car? Or the trailer?
                          It was well built and stout enough to tug that trailer around all day and all night.
                          Small block Ford, big rear end, 4 wheel disc brakes. load equalizer hitch, trailer brakes.
                          I spoke to the owner and quizzed him about it, and he said it did indeed tow quite nicely...
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Metman

Not to detour this topic.. but who else saw the Sunbeam Alpine in Lancaster towing the full size open car trailer??!! Yes, a Sunbeam Alpine...! Never saw it with a vehicle on the trailer, but certainly had many of us scratching our heads...
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

When I saw it it had an Avanti loaded on the trailer. The trailer and car probably weigh twice what the Sunbeam does. A recipe for disaster in my opinion.

quote:Originally posted by Metman

Regards- Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                            1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                            1958 Cushman Eagle
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The last two serious info posts ruined my joke. But have no fear, I shall post it anyway.

That Alpine doesn't tow the trailer, the trailer keeps the car from being stolen.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Working...
                              X