To all at Lancaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all at Lancaster

I had a great time at the meet,even though I only attended on Monday and Friday.Saw some great cars and just as important,met some GREAT people.Everybody I talked to was friendly and courteous.Even complete strangers bid me "good day" and "how 'ya doin?"It was nice to meet those in person that I had either e-mailed or talked to on the phone.This is what makes Studebaker people different.A special "thank you" to those who took pictures and videos of the show.Your efforts are much appreciated, and I'm sure I'm speaking for all of Studedom here.So pat yourselves on the back and toot your own horn!!Hope to see you at York next year!!!

I agree with all the nice comments, but to be fair, I think the wheels came off the cart at the awards dinner. Do to a late night of double checking scores and the way class awards were handed out some problems came up.
    At other Internationals, they would call up each class winner and shake his hand, give him the award and a picture of his car would be on the screen. This time everyone in the class was sent to the back of the room to pick up their award if they made the cut. The pictures on the screen were mostly random and thus many of us present did not know which car won, nor got to put a face with the car. In my case, I was making my way to the back of the room when a Avanti convertible came up on the screen with the title "64 GT Hawk, owner John Poulos, 399 points." (Later my GT showed up as a winning Avanti convertible )
    It's a minor nit pick on a otherwise wonderful meet, but I hope we'll get a winners list posted here soon. If someone at Keystone would just get us the list, we'd at least know who won what for those that missed the dinner or were there and still confused.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

The confusion on the photo projection during the awards appeared to be a combination of problems. As Carl Thoms indicated, late-night tabulations and corrections confused the order of the photos and the person preparing the slideshow was no doubt exasperated right up until, and during, the presentation. I've seen identical glitches at many business presentations.

Judging, and the list of winners is solely in the hands of SDC and not Keystone Region Chapter. All we did was plan the party.

I was certainly pleased that every time a winner was announced a photo of my Rockne would appear.[)]

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. BTW,I loved your Rockne, but it was getting a little too familiar.
        JDP/Maryland
        "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
        Thomas Jefferson
        JDP Maryland

Comment

On Saturday we drove down to Strasburg to check out the trains... WHAT A MESS... IT WAS APPARENTLY KIDS DAY...[xx(] But we did get to the railroad museum and finally found a parking place to wedge in. The trains were really neat; but what added to the display were Chester Bradfield's trucks that are in there! There were a lot of people talking about, and posing by them for photos. I took family pictures for some of them and answered numerous questions about Studebaker.
          THANKS CHESTER!!![8D]

duane miller

Comment

I had fun, even if it was for only Wed/Thursday...
            Thanks to all!
            Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Duane, thanks for the comments on the trucks. We added them at the request of the RR Museum. The owners were Chester brafield, Sharon Hall, Frank McCarthy, Jerry Kurtz and Don Jones. On Thursday when picking up my truck, I talked with the museum and we will probably do another display in the future with them. They were impressed not only with the trucks but also with the many many comments they received from those walking through the museum. We believe that this led to an increase in our attendance by the general public on Thursday last week which was overwhelming to say the least. It was, owever the quality and quantity of cars on the field that made that day the huge success that it was.

Last week at the Straburg RR was "Thomas the Tank" week. This is a major revenue week for the RR and the crowd that it attracts was as you experienced. They do this four times a year so you can imagine what chaos it brings. This was one of the primary reasons I could not work out an exclusive train ride for SDC'ers.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

This was the first time I got my wife to attend a large Studebaker meet with me. We had a great time! The event was organized very well. We both found the tours a lot of fun. I especially liked the rededication of the Studebaker monument. We did a couple of things on our own. One was a visit to the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. It was a really great place. The Studebaker trucks were displayed is a manner that complimented the trains and visa versa.

The Monday night welcome was fantastic! Crowded? Yes. Fun? Yes. I told my wife when I saw the line leading to it, that we would be in line forever. Not so -- the line progressed quickly and we were in before we knew it.

The one thing that I had trouble with was not anything the Keystone Chapter or the SDC had control of. I found the hotel itself lacking to some extent. Lots of mold on the hallway ceiling. Carpets dirty. No refrigerator or microwave in the room. Ice machines that did not work (It was not that they were over used -- they did not work.).

With that said, let me say that we had a great time. Hats off to the Keystone Chapter for a job well done.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

Joe, thanks for your comments. We appreciate the factthat you chose to bring your wife to our event and that she found it enjoyable. One thing we tried to do was have a lot of things for the ladies. I think, personally, that having women in key roles on our committee caused us to look at this issue and plan for it. I sure hope she had the opportunity to attend the Ladies Luncheon as I have heard nothing but very positive coments about that event. On the other hand, I urge yo to write the general manager of the Host Resort and provide her with your thoughts on their facility. They are in the process of remodeling the facility and I am sure they'd like to hear from you as a former guest.

As to the RR Museum here's a photo that I think says it all.

[img][/img]
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Yes, your picture sums the museum display much better than 1000 words. It was a wonderful place to visit.

Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                    X