Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker John and the Hawks

Like the commercial,

"I didn't make it to the International Meet but I did see Studebaker John and the Hawks in Spokane tonight."

For those who don't know him, Studebaker John is a longtime owner of a Hawk and has a premier blues band. [u]www.studebakerjohn.com/</u>

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Funny you should mention him. I recently had sent an email through his website asking for information about his Hawk. I've received replies from his publicist who said she'd find out some details for me...but did note that the Hawk is currently garaged and waiting to be worked on when he can find the time. Gee, does that sound familiar to a lot of us (me included)? He has a new CD just coming out and his publicist said also she'd send me an advance copy to review. When it comes I'll post a my review here. I'm a blues fan and Studebaker John is very true to the genre in my estimation.

BShaw,Webmaster

webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
    60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Glad you like him also. One thing I enjoyed was John's complete lack of pretension. He just played straight-ahead blues. Even his guitar was unadorned. It was a solid-body and I'd swear it was made from plain brown MDF or other tempered hardboard. No mother-of-pearl, no metalflake, just good sounds. I couldn't stay around long enough to get up front to buy a CD, so I'll order one from his website.

As an aside, appreciation for past/lost arts; at a blues club or concert, you'll see pretty much the same demographic as at a SDC meet.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Studebaker John and the Hawks are playing in Alberta this week. I heard the announcement on the radio JUST as I began reading this thread. Talk about coinkydink!

He does have a good band. I got to meet him when he played Calgary a few years ago. I think I'll be out of luck to see him this go-round, as I'm on the job at a rig.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

That is Interesting. Maybe Studebaker John could call his backup band "The Madren Brothers", instead. That said, a week ago I attended a blues concert featuring Tulsa's Scott Ellison; and also several of my coworkers as the opening act. They were very good, and had beautiful guitars as well. Ellison had several of them, including a bright metallic orange metallic colored one, actually a color that would look great on a C or K body. Thanks. Glad you brought this subject up.

Comment

Listening to Bluesville on XM on the way home and the last song I hear is so good I sit in the driveway and listen until it's over. Then I hear "Studebaker John and the Hawks"!! I had no idea, great sound. Figured I do a search before I got scolded for not checking before I post.

Studebaker John has a new fan.

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

I have one of his older CDs in my blues collection- I like him!!

Comment

I have one of their older CDs- they are great!!

Comment

His work is listed on iTunes; four albums are available for download and you can hear quick clips of each song at iTunes. Pretty good stuff! By the way, when you search for Studebaker John, you'll see the audiobook on John Mohler Studebaker. bob.c

Comment

Working...
                  X