PDA

View Full Version : Transmission questions

dallastx75208
09-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Lots of questions need advise. I had bought a 62 hawk that was going to be converted to a t5 transmission. I just received word that my mechanic who was going to do it cannot due to health reasons. I have a stock three speed on the floor. I am making this into a daily driver. Everything is still apart, engine out, transmission out. If I pick up a stude four-speed will I gain that much by switching to a four speed over the three speed that I now have. I am assuming the four speed will bolt in just like the three speed. The person who is working on the car now can put it back together; just cannot work out the linkage and stuff to do the t5.

PackardV8
09-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Do you have everything in hand to do the T5 swap? If so, any competent hot rod shop can finish the conversion for you. It is the least difficult request they will receive that week. There's no real linkage involved, as the T5 has an internal rail shifter. Driveshaft is easy.

I drove T85 and T86 Hawks for years and love the overdrive, but it is an acquired taste. Some never really like the little idiosyncrasies.

The T10 is good for racing and high performance, but IMHO, not worth starting from scratch if you've already got a good overdrive.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

dallastx75208
09-17-2008, 09:44 PM
the three speed I have in the car is a standard shift on the floor. The bellhousing has already been redrilled for a t5 transmission. I am not sure what else needs to be done. I think the drive shaft has to be shortened. What about the transmission mount. Anything to that?
My car is in St. Louis and not with me here in Dallas so I can not see what has been done. Just going by over the phone conversations as the car is now sitting at my brother house.

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Do you have everything in hand to do the T5 swap? If so, any competent hot rod shop can finish the conversion for you. It is the least difficult request they will receive that week. There's no real linkage involved, as the T5 has an internal rail shifter. Driveshaft is easy.

I drove T85 and T86 Hawks for years and love the overdrive, but it is an acquired taste. Some never really like the little idiosyncrasies.

The T10 is good for racing and high performance, but IMHO, not worth starting from scratch if you've already got a good overdrive.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Dwain G.
09-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Go to this site and scroll down through the index until you find '5-speeds'. There is a couple articles there, one with photos.
http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechx3.html#5sp

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

Roscomacaw
09-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Jon,

Does the existing 3-spd have overdrive?

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

dallastx75208
09-19-2008, 07:39 PM
No it does not. just a reg. manual three speed that I know of.
I believe it was a three on the tree and than moved to the floor.
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Jon,

Does the existing 3-spd have overdrive?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

dallastx75208
09-19-2008, 07:40 PM
That was a lot of great information. I wish I had that earlier. Thanks, could help a lot.

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Go to this site and scroll down through the index until you find '5-speeds'. There is a couple articles there, one with photos.
http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechx3.html#5sp

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

PackardV8
09-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi, dallas,

It is possible your '62 Hawk has the straight three-speed. However, in fifty years I have never seen one delivered that way. Have your brother look under the dash for an Overdrive handle. Get him down and under to look for a round second section behind the main two-lever transmission with a third lever going into it. You are at a disadvantage, but it can be done by long distance if you have good help on the other end and good advice and information on your end.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

dallastx75208
09-19-2008, 08:19 PM
If it is a three speed with overdrive how do you engage the overdrive?

Hi, dallas,

It is possible your '62 Hawk has the straight three-speed. However, in fifty years I have never seen one delivered that way. Have your brother look under the dash for an Overdrive handle. Get him down and under to look for a round second section behind the main two-lever transmission with a third lever going into it. You are at a disadvantage, but it can be done by long distance if you have good help on the other end and good advice and information on your end.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

PackardV8
09-20-2008, 12:14 PM
In normal operation, with the OD control in the "IN" position, when road speed is greater than 27 MPH, momentarily releasing foot pressure on the gas pedal automatically switches into overdrive. This is a .7 gear, reducing RPMs by 30%. Fully depressing the foot feed hits a switch which downshifts back into direct third gear.

Try it; you'll love it.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

dallastx75208
09-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Sent my brother an email with all the info so he can check into that.
The transmission is out fo the car and the car is up on jacks so looking should be easy.
Thanks for the info.

In normal operation, with the OD control in the "IN" position, when road speed is greater than 27 MPH, momentarily releasing foot pressure on the gas pedal automatically switches into overdrive. This is a .7 gear, reducing RPMs by 30%. Fully depressing the foot feed hits a switch which downshifts back into direct third gear.

Try it; you'll love it.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

Roscomacaw
09-20-2008, 08:20 PM
If it's an overdrive tranny, it'll have a couple of round thingys hanging off it. The solenoid would hang off the left side and have terminals to attach 3 wires to. The governor would be farther back and hanging off to the pass. side with one wire (attachment point) on it. Then there's a kickdown switch at the top of the throttle bellcrank - just aft of the left cylinder head.;)

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

dallastx75208
09-20-2008, 10:13 PM
I thought overdrive was only on automatic transmissions.
Mine is a manual three speed on the floor.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

If it's an overdrive tranny, it'll have a couple of round thingys hanging off it. The solenoid would hang off the left side and have terminals to attach 3 wires to. The governor would be farther back and hanging off to the pass. side with one wire (attachment point) on it. Then there's a kickdown switch at the top of the throttle bellcrank - just aft of the left cylinder head.;)

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door