PDA

View Full Version : The Studebaker Village People

Roscomacaw
09-15-2008, 01:40 PM
I was digging thru some files this morning and came across a copy of a chapter newsletter than I produced in Jan of '97. On the back page of this NL was a photo taken at our Chapter's '96 Xmas party. Whoever it was who was in charge of providing "entertainment" for the meal, they must not have had the stomachs of the diners in mind when they came up with the idea of some of us emulating the Village People musical group!
I realize this is a crappy photo resolution, but then it was done on a photo-copy machine in a local print shop. I'll see if I can find the original print I'd copied.
BTW, I'm second from the left, in the Indian garb. I used parrot feathers and aluminum roof flashing to make my headdress, medallion and the tomahawk I carried. Wife sewed up smock and I had mocassins on as well.
A fella by the name of Bill Slusser's the cop, Ed Metzler's the construction worker, Craig Erickson's the sailor, Lou Raimondi's the pirate, Jerry Davenport was the cowboy and Jerry Lanigan was the ER tech.
Yes, we DID dance and try to spell out Studebaker as we did so. We had fun doing it and it was the gaffs that got the laughs, of course. We had had all of 10 minutes of "rehearsal" before we were "on".
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30906179/aview/The_Studebaker_Village_People..jpg

Here's a bit of cartoon art I did to dress up the newsletter's front page. I used to cartoon alot and I always had a few bits of such in the monthly NL.
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30906179/aview/MilesnSmilesart.jpg

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

r1lark
09-15-2008, 02:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I was digging thru some files this morning and came across a copy of a chapter newsletter than I produced in Jan of '97. On the back page of this NL was a photo taken at our Chapter's '96 Xmas party. Whoever it was who was in charge of providing "entertainment" for the meal, they must not have had the stomachs of the diners in mind when they came up with the idea of some of us emulating the Village People musical group!
I realize this is a crappy photo resolution, but then it was done on a photo-copy machine in a local print shop. I'll see if I can find the original print I'd copied.
BTW, I'm second from the left, in the Indian garb. I used parrot feathers and aluminum roof flashing to make my headdress, medallion and the tomahawk I carried. Wife sewed up smock and I had mocassins on as well.
A fella by the name of Bill Slusser's the cop, Ed Metzler's the construction worker, Craig Erickson's the sailor, Lou Raimondi's the pirate, Jerry Davenport was the cowboy and Jerry Lanigan was the ER tech.
Yes, we DID dance and try to spell out Studebaker as we did so. We had fun doing it and it was the gaffs that got the laughs, of course. We had had all of 10 minutes of "rehearsal" before we were "on".

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

Biggs,

That is downright SCARY !![:0]

It kinda reminds me of a skit that the NC SDC did at one of our Tri-State Meets a number of years back. Thankfully, [u]I was not in it</u>, but it was a skit of an upcoming wedding ceremony in which one of our members was going to be the groom. IIRC, a person from NC who frequents this Forum was the bride......you will have to guess who because I'm not going to post his name.

Paul
Winston-Salem, NC
Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Roscomacaw
09-15-2008, 02:21 PM
WOW! I think I'd draw the line at putting on a wedding gown![8D] Probably was good for laughs tho!

I THINK someone took video of the SVP's performance. I sure hope it never surfaces!:(

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

65cruiser
09-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Biggs,

"I used parrot feathers and aluminum roof flashing"

If that's not CASO, I don't know what is:D

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
www.65cruiser.com

http://www.65cruiser.com/images/studewordy.jpg

52hawk
09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Lucky no one reported him to the ASPCP [American Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Parrots]

Oglesby,Il. http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j273/52hawk/100_0824-1-2.jpg
"Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"

Roscomacaw
09-15-2008, 06:49 PM
No animals were harmed, disfigured or had their dignity forefited in the making of those acoutrements. Parrots - like most birds - molt annually. The person wearing them relinquished a bit of his dignity, but it was done so for a good cause.[}:)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door