More AC questions for my Champion 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More AC questions for my Champion 6

A while back I asked a few questions regarding the possibility of AC for my 51 Champion. Thanks, BTW for all the good info I got.

Kent Fedor sent me a pulley/vibration dampener assembly for a Champion 6 w/AC (2nd pulley in front of the vibration dampener for the condenser belt). I haven't mounted it yet, but several questions arise when I mock it up.

First, as my engine is set up now, this pulley would interfere with the fan blade. There's no way this would fit without moving the fan forward about 1/2 - 3/4". Did engines with AC have a different water pump or longer "nose" on the fan pulley? Or was a spacer used? Also, this would mean moving the radiator forward a bit since the fan is already very close. All this is do-able, but I just wanted opinions before making any other decisions. I received some advice from some SDCers that mounted the condenser/alternator assembly on the drivers side, without the extra pulley on the vibration dampener, so that's an idea also.

Anyway, I have the stock compressor bracket and the stock pulley assembly, but without modifications, this won't work. As I said, I can make the modifications, but am I missing some crucial info about 6's with AC?

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Paul,

That AC bracket came off a 56 champion flight hawk. On a hawk there is totally no issue with radiator clearance due to the hawk design (radiator sits about about a foot forward of the fan). It's been awhile since I had a complete 47-52 champion so I can't comment on the fan-to-radiator clearance. I mocked up that exact AC unit on my 55 sedan and did not have issues when I mocked it up with a six blade fan. I'll do some measuring tomorrow on fans. If you have issues with space I'd suggest using a thinner more modern six blade fan. Perhaps Anne can chime in here on what modern fan they have on their son's 55.

I *think* there was a different profile fan for 59-60 flathead larks that had AC, but I'm not totally sure since I never had one.

Comment

Thanks. Like I said, this issue is easily (???) remedied (at least as easy as all the other mods I've done!), but I wanted to ask first, to make sure I wasn't overlooking something obvious. I can move the radiator forward, and possibly switch fan blades and/or add a spacer. I've got tons of room forward of the radiator currently, even allowing for the future AC condenser. I am also considering fabricating some sort of fan shroud to enhance air flow.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
      '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Working...
      X