PDA

View Full Version : BACK OFF, IKE! TINA'S NOT HERE!!!

bams50
09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Don't mess with Texas!!:(

Seriously, I want to wish all the best to our Texas members as hurricane Ike comes ashore. I'm sure we'll all join together in prayer for damage as minimal as possible, and above all safety of everyone in Ike's path. I know Texans aren't going to sit in the aftermath and whine, they'll roll up their sleeves and clean up and get back to work.

Take care everyone, and God Bless Texas!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Mark57
09-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Yes, I'll second that... apparently Ike has scared the oil companies so much that they have decided to raise the price here on Vancouver Island by $.12/litre ($.45/USG) just in case something might happen!! [V][xx(]

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/CandyStoreThumb.jpg

studegary
09-12-2008, 03:55 PM
I agree with the sentiment and concern, but shouldn't this be in the Stove Huggers section?

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

bams50
09-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I hear you, Mark, but this wasn't about griping about gas prices- there's plenty of other threads where we've been doing that. It was about concern for those in the path of this huge storm.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

bams50
09-12-2008, 04:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

I agree with the sentiment and concern, but shouldn't this be in the Stove Huggers section?

NO.

I said: "I want to wish all the best to our Texas members "

To me, that makes it Stude-specific. I do think before I post these things. I put "members" so I could put it here, since many that come here don't read the Huggers page, and I wanted the most exposure for the sentiment.

If I was inappropriate or made you mad putting it here, I apologize

Parish, central NY 13131

[b]"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Mark57
09-12-2008, 04:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

I hear you, Mark, but this wasn't about griping about gas prices- there's plenty of other threads where we've been doing that. It was about concern for those in the path of this huge storm.

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

To clarify, I was hinting that perhaps there aren't enough true "Texans" left in the oil industry that they are running scared... :)

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/CandyStoreThumb.jpg

StudeDave57
09-12-2008, 04:29 PM

I agree with the sentiment and concern, but shouldn't this be in the Stove Huggers section? NO.
To me, that makes it Stude-specific. I do think before I post these things. I put "members" so I could put it here, since many that come here don't read the Huggers page, and I wanted the most exposure for the sentiment. If I was inappropriate or made you mad putting it here, I apologize Robert (Bob) Andrews
[b]Works for me Bob. No need to explain yourself, or apologize. ;) Other threads along these same lines have been posted here in the past- no worries then, no worries now.

Good luck to those of you who are in it's path. Is it just me, or do you think of Floyd when you see it on the map? This thing is HUGE!!! Get out of it's way~ safely...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
San Diego, Ca.
San Diego County SDC
www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
'57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
'55 PROTOTYPE panel van

edited for spelling... :( [V]

studegary
09-13-2008, 12:27 PM

NO.

To me, that makes it Stude-specific. I do think before I post these things. I put "members" so I could put it here, since many that come here don't read the Huggers page, and I wanted the most exposure for the sentiment.

If I was inappropriate or made you mad putting it here, I apologize[B)]

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews

You neither made me mad nor is an apology necessary.
I just stated my opinion of how I interpret the Forum rules.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

bams50
09-13-2008, 12:52 PM
[br

quote:I just stated my opinion of how I interpret the Forum rules.

Actually, you asked the above question, and I answered it.

Parish, central NY 13131

studegary
09-13-2008, 01:18 PM

[br

quote:I just stated my opinion of how I interpret the Forum rules.

Actually, you asked the above question, and I answered it.

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews

Technically, you are correct about the question. I meant it more as a rhetorical question that perhaps Bob S. would evaluate.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

curt
09-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I care about the Texas folks, and have a son in Texas, after his place was hit on South Padre Island, he was moved to Houston. He needs you prayers and he has not a Studebaker,

BobGlasscock
09-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, Curt, I hope your son is in good shape tonight. Looks like Ike turned a hair east, but Houston still took a hit. My beloved Galveston may be in very bad shape, will have to see later.

Am totally amazed on this forum how many posts in this thread have nothing to do with the humanity of the topic.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg

bams50
09-13-2008, 07:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Am totally amazed on this forum how many posts in this thread have nothing to do with the humanity of the topic.

I hear that. Maybe the sentiment wasn't expressed strongly enough.

Oh well, at least the intent was there[:I]

Parish, central NY 13131

BobGlasscock
09-14-2008, 11:43 AM
It was obvious to me, Bob. And I appreciate it, and this is one reason I think of this forum as a second home.

Saw some pics of Galveston this morning, and have a broken heart. Looks like anything on the south side of the seawall is on the north side of the road now. Many historic restaurants and piers among those buildings. I hope someone can get video of the old homes, I just love those and sure do hope they survived 'one more'. Saw my old condo on the wrong side of the road, so am glad I got rid of that when I did. Wonder if there will be a movement to extend the seawall to the entire length of the south shore? Will they again raise the island wherever rebuilding is done on a large scale?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg

Chucks Stude
09-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Sad news, Brennan's in Houston, related to Brennan's in New Orleans burned to the ground in the storm. Worse yet, the owner and his daughter were both badly burned in the fire, and are in the hospital. I hope they are ok. The building was on the historical register, and the restaurant was wonderful. What a mess. The beautiful Kemah area is wiped out.
As far as extending the seawall, they should have done it after Hurricane Alicia, when the west end got so torn up. But they didn't. I fear it has to do with money. The cost would be tremendous. Maybe the will is there now to do that. I pray for everyone down there. I live in NW Houston, and have no power, but everything else seems to be OK. I left, and went somewhere that had power, to get my Stude fix. The Hawk is ok, also.

50Champ
09-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Ike worked his way up to the Louisville, KY area today. Our power went out at 1:15 PM and is still out. Since there are 237,000 homes and businesses in the Louisville area without power it may be a week until we get it back. Winds were a steady 50 mph with gusts at the airport measured at 75 mph. Fortunately we have a generator so both of our refrigerators are working, as is one TV with the satellite, my computer, and three lamps. There are hundreds of trees down all over town, as well as quite a few power lines. Having said that, we're a lot better off than thousands of people in Texas so we can't complain too much....

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1188/4526177/20234971/329233113.jpg

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

PlainBrownR2
09-14-2008, 11:13 PM
We got Ike as well. Unlike Gustav this was coupled to another weather front, so for two days it rained, and rained, and rained, and when it was done rained some more. This is where the communities got real busy real fast.....
With all this water we here in the Chicago area managed to flood the Little Calumet River in Munster,Indiana , the Des Plaines River, and the North Branch of the Chicago River. The last is a rarity(not a first, but a rarity, lol) as the Chicago River in this area rarely breaks its banks. I should also add the Fox River, the Dupage River, and more than the fair share of creeks and streams. The irony is all the water that Ike dumped will end up flowing back into the Illinois River, into the Mississippi, and headed back toward Louisiana on towards the Gulf of Mexico.......

Luckily we live on the top of a very high ridge, out of the floodplain, so us and the Studebakers are safe until the next flood that commands us to build a boat for the animals.....

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg
[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]

bams50
09-15-2008, 10:12 AM
My turn in the barrel with Ike...

Winds picked up in the evening. At 11pm it was 82 degrees with winds around 50 mph. Overnight the winds picked up. I don't know how high, but when I woke up I had power, but it had been out. When I went outside, one of my 75 foot maples had fallen across the driveway, just missing the power lines. Out back a 40 foot pople fell cleanly between two cars, right onto the spot where the Lark wagon had beenparked last week!

So, it's just as well I couldn't leave for Lancaster on Sunday, since I've got some work to do. I'll still be there Wed. as planned, counting my blessings!

Parish, central NY 13131

studeclunker
09-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Well, I hope all our folks came out okay. Seems luck and blessings were with you all!

quote:Out back a 40 foot pople fell cleanly between two cars, right onto the spot where the Lark wagon had beenparked last week!

YIKES![:0] Thank God you moved that wagon! Did I say Yikes, yet?;)

I have a feeling that we'll get our turn this winter. All the indicators are in place for a particularly cold, snowy winter here. We shall see... At least we don't have to deal with Ike and his fellow huricanes...:)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

bams50
09-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Here's a little video clip of my place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1laGOfZKFY

Parish, central NY 13131