Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BACK OFF, IKE! TINA'S NOT HERE!!!

Don't mess with Texas!!

Seriously, I want to wish all the best to our Texas members as hurricane Ike comes ashore. I'm sure we'll all join together in prayer for damage as minimal as possible, and above all safety of everyone in Ike's path. I know Texans aren't going to sit in the aftermath and whine, they'll roll up their sleeves and clean up and get back to work.

Take care everyone, and God Bless Texas!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Yes, I'll second that... apparently Ike has scared the oil companies so much that they have decided to raise the price here on Vancouver Island by $.12/litre ($.45/USG) just in case something might happen!! [V][xx(]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

I agree with the sentiment and concern, but shouldn't this be in the Stove Huggers section?

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I hear you, Mark, but this wasn't about griping about gas prices- there's plenty of other threads where we've been doing that. It was about concern for those in the path of this huge storm.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I agree with the sentiment and concern, but shouldn't this be in the Stove Huggers section?
          NO.

I said: "I want to wish all the best to our Texas members "

To me, that makes it Stude-specific. I do think before I post these things. I put "members" so I could put it here, since many that come here don't read the Huggers page, and I wanted the most exposure for the sentiment.

If I was inappropriate or made you mad putting it here, I apologize[B)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I hear you, Mark, but this wasn't about griping about gas prices- there's plenty of other threads where we've been doing that. It was about concern for those in the path of this huge storm.

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131
            To clarify, I was hinting that perhaps there aren't enough true "Texans" left in the oil industry that they are running scared...

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

NO.
              To me, that makes it Stude-specific. I do think before I post these things. I put "members" so I could put it here, since many that come here don't read the Huggers page, and I wanted the most exposure for the sentiment. If I was inappropriate or made you mad putting it here, I apologize [B)] Robert (Bob) Andrews
              Works for me Bob. No need to explain yourself, or apologize. Other threads along these same lines have been posted here in the past- no worries then, no worries now.

Good luck to those of you who are in it's path. Is it just me, or do you think of Floyd when you see it on the map? This thing is HUGE!!! Get out of it's way~ safely...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
              San Diego, Ca.
              San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
              '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
              '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
              '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
              '55 PROTOTYPE panel van

edited for spelling... [V]
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

NO.

To me, that makes it Stude-specific. I do think before I post these things. I put "members" so I could put it here, since many that come here don't read the Huggers page, and I wanted the most exposure for the sentiment.

If I was inappropriate or made you mad putting it here, I apologize[B)]

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews

You neither made me mad nor is an apology necessary.
                I just stated my opinion of how I interpret the Forum rules.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

[br
                  quote:I just stated my opinion of how I interpret the Forum rules.
                  Actually, you asked the above question, and I answered it.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

[br
                    quote:I just stated my opinion of how I interpret the Forum rules.
                    Actually, you asked the above question, and I answered it.

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews

Technically, you are correct about the question. I meant it more as a rhetorical question that perhaps Bob S. would evaluate.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I care about the Texas folks, and have a son in Texas, after his place was hit on South Padre Island, he was moved to Houston. He needs you prayers and he has not a Studebaker,

Comment

Well, Curt, I hope your son is in good shape tonight. Looks like Ike turned a hair east, but Houston still took a hit. My beloved Galveston may be in very bad shape, will have to see later.

Am totally amazed on this forum how many posts in this thread have nothing to do with the humanity of the topic.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Am totally amazed on this forum how many posts in this thread have nothing to do with the humanity of the topic.
                          I hear that. Maybe the sentiment wasn't expressed strongly enough.

Oh well, at least the intent was there[:I]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

It was obvious to me, Bob. And I appreciate it, and this is one reason I think of this forum as a second home.

Saw some pics of Galveston this morning, and have a broken heart. Looks like anything on the south side of the seawall is on the north side of the road now. Many historic restaurants and piers among those buildings. I hope someone can get video of the old homes, I just love those and sure do hope they survived 'one more'. Saw my old condo on the wrong side of the road, so am glad I got rid of that when I did. Wonder if there will be a movement to extend the seawall to the entire length of the south shore? Will they again raise the island wherever rebuilding is done on a large scale?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Sad news, Brennan's in Houston, related to Brennan's in New Orleans burned to the ground in the storm. Worse yet, the owner and his daughter were both badly burned in the fire, and are in the hospital. I hope they are ok. The building was on the historical register, and the restaurant was wonderful. What a mess. The beautiful Kemah area is wiped out.
                              As far as extending the seawall, they should have done it after Hurricane Alicia, when the west end got so torn up. But they didn't. I fear it has to do with money. The cost would be tremendous. Maybe the will is there now to do that. I pray for everyone down there. I live in NW Houston, and have no power, but everything else seems to be OK. I left, and went somewhere that had power, to get my Stude fix. The Hawk is ok, also.

Comment

Working...
                              X