Need an engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an engine

[)]Just a poke in the dark here, but I need a good 259 or 289 for my '61 Lark wagon. Anybody out there got one they'd be willing to sell and ship?[)]

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Why have you passed on fixing the one you've got? As I recall it runs but has a knock, right? That's a good candidate for a fairly simple rebuild.

By the time you buy one and ship it, you're going to have a good buck into it- and you've got a pig-in-a-poke. Suppose you put that one in and it runs a month and also develops a knock?

I believe NOS cranks are still available for a 259, and it's not hard to get whatever else you need. For a little more effort up front, you'll know what you've got; one less thing to wonder about as you drive- and work on- the rest of the car...

Give it some thought

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Steve, do you know Gib up there? He might know of someone where you live that has one. If you don't him, let me know and I'll send you info off forum.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Why have you passed on fixing the one you've got? As I recall it runs but has a knock, right? That's a good candidate for a fairly simple rebuild.

By the time you buy one and ship it, you're going to have a good buck into it- and you've got a pig-in-a-poke. Suppose you put that one in and it runs a month and also develops a knock?

I believe NOS cranks are still available for a 259, and it's not hard to get whatever else you need. For a little more effort up front, you'll know what you've got; one less thing to wonder about as you drive- and work on- the rest of the car...

Give it some thought

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

[)]Bob, ordinarily,I'd agree with you and may end up rebuilding this 259. However, it turns out that the "knock" is actually a broken piston and not a rod. I'm afraid that one cylinder may need a sleeve and I'm reluctant to to that route. Mr.Biggs found me a really good 259 in California 2 or 3 years ago and the shipping wasn't horrible. So, I just thought I'd cast my line in the water and see what might be lurking.[)]

Comment

Hi, Steve,

FWIW, it's not clear whether you are looking for a core, a running engine or a rebuilt engine. Suggest you need to be a little more specific than
          quote:I need a good 259 or 289
          Here are a few ways to narrow down what you are looking for. Help SDC help you:

1. On a budget here, so looking for a good-running, recently rebuilt 259" long block. I've got the exterior parts and accessories.
          OR
          2. Looking for a pro-rebuilt full-flow 225hp 289" complete and ready to drop in.
          OR
          3. I've got $500 for the best-offered 259" or 289". What have you got for sale? Where are you located? Will you crate it and take it to a freight dock?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

I suppose Jack has a point there... also, what are you willing to pay? I have one I might be willing to part with. It runs and doesn't smoke. Besides, I need the $$$[:I]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Also...I've had broken pistons in the past...NO damage to the cylinder walls in any of my cases!

Yea...I was hard on'em as a kid, too much timing with a cast piston!

Might be worth a rethink.

Mike

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Steve, do you know Gib up there? He might know of someone where you live that has one. If you don't him, let me know and I'll send you info off forum.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

[)]Oh sure, I have known Gib for years.[)]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Hi, Steve,

FWIW, it's not clear whether you are looking for a core, a running engine or a rebuilt engine. Suggest you need to be a little more specific than
                  quote:I need a good 259 or 289
                  Here are a few ways to narrow down what you are looking for. Help SDC help you:

1. On a budget here, so looking for a good-running, recently rebuilt 259" long block. I've got the exterior parts and accessories.
                  OR
                  2. Looking for a pro-rebuilt full-flow 225hp 289" complete and ready to drop in.
                  OR
                  3. I've got $500 for the best-offered 259" or 289". What have you got for sale? Where are you located? Will you crate it and take it to a freight dock?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                  [)]Hi Jack, point well taken. I was hoping to find a good running engine ready to drop in. Pie in the sky, I know, but it's happened before. Fact of the matter is that I'm still thinking about that 289 of yours. I just wanted to see if there was something less expensive out there since this car is going to be a driver.[)]

Comment

I have a 289 out of a 63 Cruiser that had 60 some thousand miles showing on the odometer when I pulled the motor.It belongs to another forum member,but he has said before he would sell it.I did not hear this motor run.It was running when parked,and it had good anti freeze and oil in it.The mice ate most all the wiring.So even though it turns over freely,was fairly clean under the valve covers and showed no signs of being frozen,I can not say how it would run. It also has a automatic trans with it.If you are interested,please contact me off forum,and I will give you the owners email addy so you two can talk. The motor is not too awfully far from SASCO. Thanks!

Comment

Are you coming to Lancaster?
                      PAUL LAUSCH

Comment

You might try Bob Owens at Owens Salvage in Wellington Tex. Can't be too far from you. He's not a Stude guy, per se. But they have 65 acres of vintage cars. Got to have some motors. I got several pieces of 53/54 C/K parts from him, and he told me he had lots of sedan parts if I needed them.
                        Owens Salvage
                        E-mail Address(es):
                        owenssalvage@arn.net

Bob's great. He'll chase down the smallest part, ship quick and prices are better than here in the city.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
                        "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

Now Steve I like that wagon so much, I think you have a serious problem there and may need to think about abadoning the whole project. I'd be more than happy to get/take, that worry off your mind.
                          I would hope that you could just tear the motor down and find a banged up piston with no wall damage. However I can see the benifits of finding another block or complete engine so you avoid any down time driving that NICE[], oops.....I mean pain in the butt wagon.

ChopStu
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Okay Steve, I'll throw this hat out. I bought a 259 from Lionel Stone four years ago. It was reputed to have been freshly rebuilt. Currently, it's in Ed, set up as a manual. I'd be willing to take twelve hundred for it though I'd like to keep the hang-ons, the carb and the only operating waterpump I currently possess (robbed from Bess). I paid Stone thirty-five hundred for it. It runs good and doesn't smoke. All you have to do is drop it in and bolt on the accessories from your current engine and go. I also have another 259 that's in the Daytona. It runs fairly well, no smoke, however I don't know the true mileage on it. It's set up as an automatic.

Ron Smith
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Okay Steve, I'll throw this hat out. I bought a 259 from Lionel Stone four years ago. It was reputed to have been freshly rebuilt. Currently, it's in Ed, set up as a manual. I'd be willing to take twelve hundred for it though I'd like to keep the hang-ons, the carb and the only operating waterpump I currently possess (robbed from Bess). I paid Stone thirty-five hundred for it. It runs good and doesn't smoke. All you have to do is drop it in and bolt on the accessories from your current engine and go. I also have another 259 that's in the Daytona. It runs fairly well, no smoke, however I don't know the true mileage on it. It's set up as an automatic.

Ron Smith
                              [)]Ron, thanks for the offer, and the price sounds fair. However, I'm a bit reluctant to get involved with anything Mr.Stone might have sold you.[)]

Comment

Working...
                              X