61 Lark Convertible Price Guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 Lark Convertible Price Guidance

Local guy is selling a red six cylinder convertible Lark. Red over black with Continental Kit. Believes it has 64k original miles, has much documentation. Original except for paint. I would rate it as a 4 out of 5 after a quick once-over. I haven't driven or even started it. The seller just bought it at the Kruse Labor Day auction. He is asking $12,500. There is precious little price data out there on '61 Larks generally, and I could find nothing on a convertible of that vintage. Can anyone out there give me any guidance with respect to price? Thanks.

The guy more than likely overpaid at a Kruse Auction. From that description, I would say that his price is about double what it should be. The six cylinder hurts the price drastically, especially in a convertible.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Welcome! We frequently get questions like this, but it's hard to answer without more details- and pictures. Things like if it's original and solid, or a rust-bucket that's been patched up make a huge difference. You also need to look at the frame carefully for signs of corrosion. Also, convertibles tend to leak, so what the floors look like under the rug is important.

This car sounds like one that was on eBay last year a couple times. I believe it bid to around $7K, no sale. If it is the one, something didn't seem right to me; but it could be another car.

Even if it's solid and straight underneath, and good overall condition, that price is too high because of the 6 cylinder. Nice car to drive, just worth quite a bit less.

Get us some more info- including why he's trying to get rid of it so quickly... could be he got it and realized he didn't really like it, or he's looking to flip it for a quick buck; nothing wrong with either of those, but if he got it home and found a major problem......

Let us know what you find; we'll help however we can!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The 10/08 Old Cars Price Guide gives the following guidance on 61 Lark Convertibles:

#6 - $700
        #5 - $2,100
        #4 - $3,500
        #3 - $7,880
        #2 - $12,250
        #1 - $17,500

Deduct 5% for six cylinder model.

Not knowing the car, it's hard to vouch for anything. 1961 was the first year for the OHV six. The 61's trend $2K below the 1960 convertible price in #1 condition. Can't see enough styling change to justify that. They only built 979 '61 6cyl Convertibles compared to 3,107 in 1960.

If I'd have polled this group about the purchase price of my convertible five years ago, I'd have been laughed off the group. But today, I couldn't buy it for what I paid for it. And if you live in an area where a six cylinder will handle the car nicely (no mountains, limited freeway merging), most observers won't know or care it's a six. I've never owned one, but I've heard the OHV is peppier than the flathead (112 vs. 90 HP).

If you spend enough time with the car to determine it's a keeper for you, and you don't intend or forsee selling it soon, the price should be looked at differently. It's hard to find any NICE convertible of any kind from that era that won't bring $10K. You say it's painted resale red.

I got my convertible because I knew it would make me (scratch that - WIFE) happy, and I thought the price was fair. What value and enjoyment will you get, and is it good enough to hold value? I can't answer that from here.

Kevin Wolford
        Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
        60 Lark VI Conv.
        63 Avanti R1

Comment

Brian, I see that you are less than twenty minutes from me. There are so many things to take into account when looking at one of those convertibles that it's hard to know where to start without pictures, or seeing it in person. The folks above are all dead on in their help and assessment of your car. Gary may be a little low considering what it would cost to do it yourself, but the seller is too high for that car by plenty. Get him lower, if you can.
          There are some one year only, hard as heck to find parts on the '61's if you find yourself needing to replace some of them in the future, but many that are easy to purchase, too. Do a search for '61 tail lights and see what you're in for just for those. BTW, what do the tail lights look like?
          The 6 cylinder model has it's down side and up side for some people. It is worth less than the V/8. We have local guys in the club who are '61 fans and can help you. I doubt any of them need another car, so having one of us look it over might help for a safer idea on what it's worth. I am going to the International meet this coming week, so I won't be back until the 20th at least. I'm sure it won't be going anywhere soon at that price, so maybe when I get back? Good luck and let's see a pic or two.

Comment

You'd think this guy would visit again and let us know what this car looks like. I guess it's better than a 1 post spammer. There are a lot of 1 post-first time owners or lookers that we've encountered, met with a warm greeting by all and never return for an update for the discussion. It appears this forum is just a "Question It" for some and when those are answered they're done. Too bad, there have been some great folks with good first time questions.

Comment

Yeah, we get that sometimes. The Forum is not for everybody, same as anything. There are many different levels and aspects of the hobby, and everyone has their own comfort/interest level. So we offer a greeting, and help, and it's received- or not.

I would like to know what happened with the car, though.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I agree, especially since it's close by. Bob, I met a nice couple looking to buy a 1961 2 door of any kind at Lancaster because 40 some years ago they had their first date in one. I'd like to help them find a good one, so I have their number.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

I agree, especially since it's close by. Bob, I met a nice couple looking to buy a 1961 2 door of any kind at Lancaster because 40 some years ago they had their first date in one. I'd like to help them find a good one, so I have their number.
                  Their first "date"? Hmmmmm!

Chip
                  '63 Cruiser daily driver
                  '57 Packard wagon almost on the road!
                  Chip
                  '63 Cruiser
                  '57 Packard wagon
                  '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                  '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                  X