1964 GT Hawk help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 GT Hawk help please

I'm trying to roughly guess at what my mother in law's 1964 GT Hawk may be worth. She's interested in selling it but doesn't want to ask too much or get too little.

Simply put it needs restoration. I'm not a car expert (generator mechanic in the military) but it hasn't run in over ten years. The interior is in good shape, none of the original parts are missing as far as I can see/know. I don't know how to tell what engine it has, obviously a V8 but I don't think it's the supercharged one. It's in need of an exterior paint job and there is something wrong with the brakes. My mother in law has told me that when her husband (now deceased) purchased it the brakes may have been the only problem. I'm sure after at least 10 years of sitting it's in need of some expert care but finding reliable information on it's worth is difficult considering it's condition.

She has most (if not all) original documents including the title. So if anyone could help with some advice, we have extra information that I could look up. Any advice would help. Thanks in advance, Travis.

We would at least need pictures to help with an estimate. Even better would be if a knowledgeable member could look at the car. Where is it located?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Pictures will have to come in a bit, I need to get a Dcamera from a friend but I can do this. The car is located in Plymouth, MN about 15 minutes away from the Twin Cities.

I just read that only about 1,500 1964 GT Hawks were made and are the last in the Hawk line? I did see that a 64' that is in good shape and runs is being listed for about 10k on ebay.

Comment

By the way, the mileage is around 68,000. My mother in law also says that there is no rust on the body and the paint job is just simply dull.

Comment

I think there were a few more 64 GTs than that, but it was a short run. The most telling thing as to value besides the condition would be what options the car has. Studebakers with the high performance R series engines will bring more money especially if the car has the super package.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Before I got to the "no rust" statement, I was thinking that the car is in MN and rust wasn't mentioned in the initial post so it is probably very rusty. Now the question is if the car has had some type of previous rust repair.

Your number built is close. There were 1772 1964 Hawks built. Of that number, 1548 were V8s.

I think that your best shot at an evaluation and sale is to post the Hawk on eBay. Include a complete description and good pictures. You may want to set a reserve at the lowest price you would be willing to take, just to be safe. I do recommend waiting until after September 22. Most of the real Studebaker fans will be away from home at the SDC Convention the week before that.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

my studebaker hawk does not have rust on it. it was stored in a shed the whole time it was not being driven.

Comment

I live in Delano MN 1/2 hour away and be more than happy to drop by
                and lend any assistance I can.
                Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Bob will know if he checks it out but be sure to check the floors and body mounts for rust.They seem to be the first thing to go.Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

There's your solution- contact bob40. He's well-known here; have him look at the known problem areas and get his evaluation. Then clean it up some- it might be worth your while to have someone get it so it will start, especially if it's as solid as you say. Take several good-quality pictures and put it on eBay.

That will determine, and obtain, the best fair market value for the car.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                    X