X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabling Anti Creep

Disabling Anti Creep
    '53 Starlight Coupe
    We want to leave the anti creep off for now. Any reason not to or anything to be aware of? We have replaced all lines, wheel cylinders and master cylinders. Unsure of the condition of anti creep unit. Want to get the brakes up and going. We just left the unit off.
    sigpic

You may want to make certain the wires don't ground on anything, or disable power feed to the firewall mounted switch. No other issues I'm aware of.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Oh, you mean the Hill Holder... I was thinking it was some new kind of anti virus software for the web. [}]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009?
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Hill holder is a mechanical valve used on manual shift cars.
        Anti-creep valves were used on the Detroit Gear transmissions 1950- v56 and were electrical.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Oh, you mean the Hill Holder... I was thinking it was some new kind of anti virus software for the web. [}]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          he he he Mark, I just realized your question about the "Tour in Parksville, BC" is part of your signature. I was feeling guilty for not answering you in another thread from some time back. I thought you were asking me directly. I knew somebody had asked me about attending a meet and I couldn't remember who until I saw your signature again.
          sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rkapteyn

Hill holder is a mechanical valve used on manual shift cars.
            Anti-creep valves were used on the Detroit Gear transmissions 1950- v56 and were electrical.
            That's what we have. Just didn't put the unit on. Will tape the wires for now. But how exactly did the unit work? What exactly did it control and is there anything that needs to be disconnected or adjusted other than just leaving the unit off the brake lines?
            sigpic

Comment

When the throttle closes and the brakes are on and the car is in gear, a switch is made that energizes the solenoid in the anti-creep unit, holding pressure on some or all of the brakes. When the light changes and you hit the gas, the circuit is broken and the pressure comes off the brake line.

Just tape the wires, go about your business. We've learned to hold on the brakes at a stop light since then. (1950s)

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              (Under Construction 466 hrs.)
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

The unit in my '51 still works fine but it is totally unessential; more of a curiosity. It hearkens to the period of transition from standard to automatic transmissions. The hill-holder on the standard definitely had its benefits. On the automatic, since you didn't need to have one foot on the brake and the other on the clutch, unnecessary. I still like to demonstrate it.

That, and the draw-matic cigarette lighter. How can you quit smoking when you have a device like that?

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BubbaBear

he he he Mark, I just realized your question about the "Tour in Parksville, BC" is part of your signature. I was feeling guilty for not answering you in another thread from some time back. I thought you were asking me directly. I knew somebody had asked me about attending a meet and I couldn't remember who until I saw your signature again.
                  No worries BubbaB... apparently I still did not know what an "anti creep" was even after reading the post! [B)][:I]

And if you can make it out to the west coast next May, we'd love to have you attend.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                  X