Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick R-1, R-2, etc. primer for me please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick R-1, R-2, etc. primer for me please?

As I'll be taking my F*rd motorhead friend to Lancaster the one day we go, could I please have a quick rundown to share with him what R-1, R-2, R-3, R-4, etc. mean? I don't need to know e.g. that you couldn't get a passenger side floormat with a tissue dispenser on blue cars in '64, etc. Just the basics. I know this has been printed up in years past, but I leave in a few days, so I was hoping for a quick summary I could print up and take with me--not dig through 20 years of Turning Wheels.
    Thanks in advance.

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

quote:Originally posted by kurtruk

As I'll be taking my F*rd motorhead friend to Lancaster the one day we go, could I please have a quick rundown to share with him what R-1, R-2, R-3, R-4, etc. mean? I don't need to know e.g. that you couldn't get a passenger side floormat with a tissue dispenser on blue cars in '64, etc. Just the basics. I know this has been printed up in years past, but I leave in a few days, so I was hoping for a quick summary I could print up and take with me--not dig through 20 years of Turning Wheels.
    Thanks in advance.

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Chip
    '63 Cruiser daily driver
    '57 Packard wagon almost on the road!
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Quicly, here it is:

R-1 289 naturally aspirated, mild cam, etc. - 240 HP
      R-2 289 supercharged - 290 HP
      R-3 304 supercharged, special cam, valves, etc. - 335 HP
      R-4 304 naturally aspirated, 2 4V carbs - 280 HP

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

R2 is 289 HP, Gary. The 290 figure got into circulation somewhere and has been often repeated, but it wasn't from Studebaker.

(Too bad my Collectible Automobile article isn't already out; that's exactly the type of basic material -and lots more, of course- in the article. I don't think they'd appreciate my posting a link to the text here, though...something about exclusive publishing rights was in the contract I signed! Oops. [}])

And since the paycheck arrived for it in yesterday's mail -yee-haa, just in time to be spent going to The Pure Stock Drags and Lancaster!- they obviously intend to publish it as scheduled: February 2009 issue, on newsstands mid-December.[] [8D]BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,
          I could be wrong but, seems to me, I remember reading somewhere the Studebaker HP claims were often eclipsed on actual dyno tests?

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Bob,
            I could be wrong but, seems to me, I remember reading somewhere the Studebaker HP claims were often eclipsed on actual dyno tests?

Brad Johnson
            I can't confirm what went on behind closed doors in South Bend in 1963, Brad, but I do know this:

On June 26, 2004, Cousin George Krem's dead stock R3 Challenger, The Plain Brown Wrapper, mounted the portable dyno at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race and posted 365 horsepower measured at the rear wheels! That was with the functioning air cleaner in place and through street-legal exhaust all the way out to the rear bumper. No heresy; I was watching the dyno gauges myself beside the trained operator, who was not a "Studebaker person."

That is one documented incidence. If that "335HP" engine (per Studebaker) could still push out 365HP at the rear wheels, it meant a few ponies could have been added to the tally had it been out of the car and measured at the flywheel, as were "factory" horsepower ratings back then...or at least the ratings that weren't simple fabrications![:0] BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

Thats the figure I was waiting for...... Just tell your friend Studebaker was not joking if a person wanted 'performance' as an option. And remind him -- this was still only 1963. This was something new, and fresh and could have been ordered in 1962. Some people called it a muscle car. This is something GTO got the first credit for the very next year ....... Big horsepower in a mid sized car.

MIKE
              The R3 and R4 could not be ordered in 1962.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X