PDA

View Full Version : 66 Cruiser

wash100
09-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I found a 66 4 door Cruiser with a solid body,all good glass and worn interior. Its a v/8 with AT and PS, It has been siting in a garage for 10 years. What would a projet like this be worth? The big gamble is if I can get it runing and the automatic transmission. Thanks,
Clyde

studegary
09-09-2008, 01:23 PM
It is hard to give an answer with so little to go on. With that said, the requested guesstimate is $500 to $1500.
Realize that if you have to pay for the majority of the work, it will cost much more to restore than the car will be worth when finished, even if you are given the car for free. If you just plan on getting it running, making it safe, putting some inexpensive seats/covers in it, you will probably be fine cost wise and end up with a nice driver.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Roscomacaw
09-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Thing is, it's just a small-block Chevy engine in it and you can buy an overhauled one for less than a grand. The tranny's basically a cast iron Ford-o-matic and a very durable and fixable (if need be) unit.;)

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

Dick Steinkamp
09-09-2008, 06:48 PM
The car is up here near me. (Lakewood...just south of Tacoma)

The engine is frozen as are the brakes. Rust at least in the trunk (and the owner hasn't checked the floor pans). He is asking $1500. I think that is a little high myself. I'd say the low end of Gary's estimate is closer to reality.

It would be a nice car when finished, but for sure you would have way more money in it than it would ever be worth. That's not a bad thing necessarily...it's done all the time...it's a hobby after all. Just a heads up.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg