Studebaker spy photo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker spy photo's

I was traveling down the interstate yesterday and saw a pack of 3 cars covered in there top secret black disguise panels (guessing cadilac crossover wagon thing) This got me thinking of a photo I snapped while on vacation a couple of years ago. Behold the newest Tahoe model, (group of 3 with an older tahoe #4 as support not all in photo)

So the question is: Did Studebaker go to any lengths to disguise its vehicles? Were the proving grounds secluded enough from prying eyes?
    Or was Studebaker a small player so the majors just didn't worry till the model was on the showroom floor.
    All comments welcome. PHOTOS to if you have em.

ChopStu
    61 Lark

sigpic

quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker
    Were the proving grounds secluded enough from prying eyes?
    Ask Bob Palma!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Were the proving grounds secluded enough from prying eyes?
      Ask Bob Palma!
      I think George Krem was there too if I remember the story correctly....

Evan Davis
      Prairie Bulletin
      Saskatchewan Chapter
      Prince Albert, Sk
      Evan Davis
      Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fargoguy
        I think George Krem was there too if I remember the story correctly....
        True, but I don't think George posts here like Bob does...

Craig

Comment

So the question is: Did Studebaker go to any lengths to disguise its vehicles?
          If they did, they didn't do a very good job!!! I suspect they would drive or haul them to/from the Proving Grounds under the darkness of night if there was a real concern. I would see Stude test drivers taking the new models out for test drives near where I live. In fact the first Avanti I saw in person was while they were doing a test drive. Also, in warmer/hot weather anyone could simply walk by the Engineering Building (about where Dennis L.'s office now is at SASCO) and peek in the open windows to see what was new.

The older I get ...the better I was!

Comment

I recall that the secrecy at the Dealers was just like at the other car Co's. I did not live in South Bend, so I can't talk about the pre-shipment secrecy but I know something about the lengths the Dealer would go to, to hide the new models.

The Dealer my Dad worked for rented a large warehouse a half mile from the showroom each Sept. and had the new cars unloaded there until the big day. They had water painting and paper covering the showroom windows at least a week before the announcement day for the new models. They loaded them in the showroom the night before.

In those days it WAS a really big deal! Most of us kids would make sure to pass by the dealers on the way home from school the last two weeks of Sept. hoping for a new model to be driven into the service bay or something at one of the Dealers, we checked em all out! [^]

I remember Dad took me to the warehouse where all of the '62 Larks and Hawks were stashed, he opened it and we went in for a look, I was happy to see the new re-styled Hawk, and I was pretty shocked when I got a look at that new rounded cornered Lark rear window! The 4 doors looked strange with those giant rear door windows as well, with the wheelbase stretch, it was nothing like the prior Larks and I was not liking it much! [V]

Later after introduction we got a Regal '62 Lark VIII Station wagon as a demo and I got to drive it a few times. It made a great Christmas Tree hauler for Christmas 1961! I think that car being a Regal, was one of about three or less like it that I have ever seen to this day! [:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I went to school with Brian Kovac, whose father owned Kovac Motors in Woodbridge, New Jersey. Brian gave me the heads up on any Stude news & when the new models arrived so I could get a sneak peak. New car intro's just arent the same anymore, lost the excitement & the glitz that they once had. Out here in Torrance, the dealer I work for occasionally, doesnt even put the new years model in the showroom untill all the prior years cars are gone & that can sometimes take months (its a Honda dealer). I miss those days of going around town looking in the back lot for a glimse of the new cars.

60 Lark convertible
              61 Champ
              62 Daytona convertible
              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2)
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I recall that the secrecy at the Dealers was just like at the other car Co's. I did not live in South Bend, so I can't talk about the pre-shipment secrecy but I know something about the lengths the Dealer would go to, to hide the new models.

The Dealer my Dad worked for rented a large warehouse a half mile from the showroom each Sept. and had the new cars unloaded there until the big day. They had water painting and paper covering the showroom windows at least a week before the announcement day for the new models. They loaded them in the showroom the night before.

In those days it WAS a really big deal! Most of us kids would make sure to pass by the dealers on the way home from school the last two weeks of Sept. hoping for a new model to be driven into the service bay or something at one of the Dealers, we checked em all out! [^]

I remember Dad took me to the warehouse where all of the '62 Larks and Hawks were stashed, he opened it and we went in for a look, I was happy to see the new re-styled Hawk, and I was pretty shocked when I got a look at that new rounded cornered Lark rear window! The 4 doors looked strange with those giant rear door windows as well, with the wheelbase stretch, it was nothing like the prior Larks and I was not liking it much! [V]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                I want to thank you for sharing your story. I got to thinking about what you said about the dealer covering the windows to create a buzz about the new model and I remember a photo I have that may be just what your talking about.

Here's a photo of the store front that I believe my truck came from. It looks to me the same marketing ideas were in place at this dealership as well. Great story thanks again.
                So it seems that the concensus is that Studebaker did little to hide new models.

ChopStu
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Would I be kicked out of the club (or just kicked[xx(]) if I suggested that in the late 50s - early 60's they didn't have to disguise new models, since all Larks look alike?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Heck no. As long as that R1 Avanti isn't confused with 40 years of a similar beautiful design either! [)]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

All look alike??? [:0]

Comment

Working...
                    X