final oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• final oil question

After reading the latest Turning Wheels, I notice that there seems to be much confusuion about the type of oil to use to make up for missing additi[?]tives.
    So for a 61 Lark 6 cyl, what is the best oil to use these days?

David G. Nittler
    David G. Nittler

Final Oil Question? Ha! I tend to doubt that will EVER happen! Lol!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is some information from Valvoline that may be of interest.

Bob Langer
      Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

here is a web site to look at it sells zddplus to add to any oil to makre up the loss of zinc

zddplus.com

Comment

Interesting info from Valvoline. The company that I work for cooperates with Valvoline on testing their products in our over the road trucks. I intend to ask the lab guys about this product and report back.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks for the Valvoline website, great info. I got a Holley
            that needs rebuilding. Thanks,

Comment

Hi, I am the original asker of this question. Is there an addititive for zink yet, on the market?

David G. Nittler
              David G. Nittler

Comment

David, for some extra reading on this subject of discourse, go above
                to the "search" (top right corner) link and key in "Zinc addivities"
                and you will get most of everything from oils to use and additives to
                buy.....that has been discussed to some length.... I have attached
                a link to give you a taste of what will surely be many hours of reading
                pleasure!

glen
                Nowhere, AZ
                "Freedom Through Vigilance"

Comment

52-fan, I would be interested in the lab guys opinion on the Valvoline oil I'm using - VV749 10W40 ATV oil. According to their product sheets, this oil contains 1100ppm zinc and 9600ppm phosphorus, wheras the VR1 10w30 contains 1300 and 1200 respectively. The higher phosphorus levels should provide more wear protection, but are there downsides for a non-catalytic coverter Stude?

Comment

Wouldn't the oil companies be opening themselves up for lawsuits if they made oil that was detrimental to use in cars regardless of the make,[?] model or year?

Comment

I've been very happy with this product from Castrol (Syntec):

It requires no additives and it is one of the only oils that advertises that it is specifically formulated for "classic" automobiles.

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                      May 23 & 24, 2009?
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

Yep, if you use the Syntec 20W-50 in your 1993 or newer car you will damage the Catalytic Converter, and if you use any other weight in your 1992 and older, you will ruin the cam and or lifters, your mistake, your cost, they do not care, and you will lose the suit. They will probably add a note like Jack-in-the box did: Coffee is Hot! (stupid)! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Son O Lark

Wouldn't the oil companies be opening themselves up for lawsuits if they made oil that was detrimental to use in cars regardless of the make,[?] model or year?
                        StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                        X