post no. 10,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post no. 10,000

The next person to start a thread in this "general" category will be posting the 10,000 th topic.
    It's like we never run out of stuff to talk about.
    What did we do before the forum?

Left the house and visited people
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Looks like our Almanac Editor wins the prize.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac
        What did we do before the forum?
        Attended the zone meets no matter how close, or far away they were from home! Wasn't it noted somewhere attendence has been dropping at zone meets in recent years?

Craig

Comment

<snip> What did we do before the forum?
          Read TURNING WHEELS cover-to-cover to get our "Stude-Fix"![)]

Along that same line mono..., do you foresee the day when an e-version of TURNING WHEELS will come to be[?]

The older I get ...the better I was!

Comment

(from 1956GoldenHawk)
            Along that same line mono..., do you foresee the day when an e-version of TURNING WHEELS will come to be[?]

I certainly hope NOT. But after I'm dead and gone you can do what you want. There are a whole host of potential problems associated with that.
            But then, I didn't foresee the digital camera either.
            I also hope that parents everywhere are still stressing to their children the importance of reading -- that is a book or magazine. I wouldn't want that to be lost to a progressive society.

I like your signature line and I think it speaks the truth for most of us. (the older I get. . . the better I was)
            I'm certainly glad they never invented anything to replace my Studebaker.

Comment

I'm certainly glad they never invented anything to replace my Studebaker.
              Art, I can agree that there has not been an invention to REPLACE your Studebaker yet, but in the past 40 years there have certainly been a number of technological changes to automobiles that many Stude owners have adpated for use on their cars - radial tires, disc brake systems, electronic ignitions, etc.

So even Studebaker owners are making "progress" and have arrived in the 21st Century! Our local newsletter is e-delivered to the vast majority of Chapter members, surely the day will arrive in the not too distant future where TW could be delivered to our membership in this medium at reduced cost and with a lower "Carbon footprint" than the current method.

Besides, those who would choose that form of delivery would then have something up on the first class delivery folks!! [}]

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
              May 23 & 24, 2009?
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

to Mark57: Typing all the negatives to your few positives on this subject would wear out my fingers but we can discuss it at length sometime.

You should check your history however. Disc brakes and electronic ignitions were pioneered by Studebaker. We have not adapted them for use in our cars.

Comment

I don't know about electronic ignitions, but as far as disc brakes go - Studebaker pioneered their use on American cars. The Brits developed the system that Studebaker adapted. Anyone know who was second with disc brakes on American cars? I know AMC was using a dual-piston caliper as an option on full-sized Rammers as early as '65.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

to Mark57: Typing all the negatives to your few positives on this subject would wear out my fingers but we can discuss it at length sometime.

You should check your history however. Disc brakes and electronic ignitions were pioneered by Studebaker. We have not adapted them for use in our cars.
                    Art - My point was that those systems have been "improved" over the last 40 years, not they they are necessarily new. Perhaps it would have been better had I referred to collapsible steering columns and side impact beams.

With respect to the e-version of TW, etc., I will look forward to that conversation. [8)]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                    May 23 & 24, 2009?
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I don't know about electronic ignitions, but as far as disc brakes go - Studebaker pioneered their use on American cars. The Brits developed the system that Studebaker adapted. Anyone know who was second with disc brakes on American cars? I know AMC was using a dual-piston caliper as an option on full-sized Rammers as early as '65.

I don't know who you consider to be second with disc brakes, but I thought that I remembered Chrysler, Crosley and maybe King Midget as having disc brakes before Studebaker.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X