Relay??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay??

Ok, the car is a 64 Commander Wagonaire. Equipped with a V/8 and 3 speed OD trans.
    Yesterday I was trying to get it started as I haven't started it in several months.
    The battery was low so I hooked up my battery charger to the battery for a few hours.
    I went back to try to start it and it acted like the starter was messed up. (When I last started it and drove it there were no problems)
    I tried it again an hour later and it tried to start (drive engaged the flywheel and turned the engine) But it didn't start. I then decided to wait till today as it was getting late.
    I had some errands to do this morning and when I came home I noticed the taillamps were on.
    The switches on the dash are all in the off position..
    I disconnected the battery to get the lights to go off.
    Never had this sort of problem with this car before so any ideas as to what is going on?

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    65 Commander 2door
    64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
    63 Champ
    63 GT Hawk
    51 Champion Starlight Coupe
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Shorted brake-lamp switch could explain the taillamps. But the starter... no clue on that.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

A few questions. Did you charge it with both of the battery cables connected? Did the lights reset after you disconnected, then reconnected the battery? Is the problem still there? What did the charger read right before you tried to start it? Were they for sure the tail lights that were on, or the brake lights? Were the parking lights on in front at the same time? Just thinking what mine would be doing...bad battery, bad light switch, or wire connectors touching/arcing, bad brake light switch, or pedal triggering it, or even a bad cable connection to the starter. Weird sudden problem you have there, unless you've last worked on something that affected it. That is usually what my new problems tend to be, something I caused unknowingly. As usual, could be so many things.

Comment

If the tail light problem was there when you parked it several months ago, then most likely the battery was completely drained. A few hours on a charger won't bring it back from a total discharge. Charge it up until it is fully charged and/or take it to a battery store and have them charge and test it. It could be with a full charge that the starter will act normally.

Were they brake lights or tail lights that were on? Trouble shooting will be different depending upon which.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I disconnected the battery cable when I discovered the taillights on last evening. I got home from work today and reconnected the cables and the taillights still come on.

To answer prior questions, yes I charged the battery while the cables were still connected to the car.

No the parking lights or headlamps didn't come on with the taillights.

It's not the brake lights, just the taillights.

Ok, any ideas?

Thanks

George
          Grants Pass, Oregon
          65 Commander 2door
          64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
          63 Champ
          63 GT Hawk
          51 Champion Starlight Coupe
          George King
          Grants Pass, Oregon
          64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

George, there should be no relay in the tail light circuit, not if it is stock. Power tailgate window uses a relay.

Are you sure it's not the brake lights coming on weakly (as they might do if the battery is weak)?

Those hydraulic stop light switches are known to go bad. Also, the master cylinder can go bad and retain enough pressure to hold the switch closed, especially if the brakes are applied after it's been sitting for a while.

I'd suggest you install the battery, and if the rear lights come on unbidden as before, unplug one of the wires from the stoplight switch, whcih should be mounted right on the master cylinder in your car. See what happens.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I agree with Gord. Sure sounds like two issues with either a fully charged good battery needed, or a new one. My money is on the tail lights being a brake light problem at the MC, or switch, too. Good luck George.

Comment

Working...
              X