Power Steering For a 1953 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering For a 1953 Commander

My buddy (no computer) has a 53 and wants to buy and install a power steering set up. I thought I read once Bendix made a kit. If anyone has a set up, or leads, or advice please advise. I'll be in Landcaster and would purchase the entire set up for my friend.

Jim

When most people ask for power steering on a '53, they usually really just need front end work and/or lubrication. Make sure all of the parts of the front end are in good condition. Grease the front end correctly and completely, especially out of the thrust washers at the top end of the king pins. Utilize a correct size and width of tire with appropriate air pressure. After people do this, they decide that they no longer need to convert to power steering. Power steering can be added, but it is neither inexpensive nor easy.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Some of us, as we age, loose strength and dexterity in our shoulders and can only drive our cars with power steering. Lets not assume that the driver might not NEED it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction 466 hrs.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Some of us, as we age, loose strength and dexterity in our shoulders and can only drive our cars with power steering. Lets not assume that the driver might not NEED it.

Tom Bredehoft
        I agree. That is why I included terms like: "most people", "usually" and "power steering can be added."
        I have found, from experience, that what I posted applies in most cases including drivers in their 80s and Bob Bourke with his '54 Starliner when he told me that he needed ps.
        Of course some people absolutely need power steering and a retrofit of ps to a '53 may still not be enough for them.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
        X