Pete's tire tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete's tire tale

Well, on Monday I finally got around to addressing the failed tire on Pete, the Transtar. If you'll recall, I kept on driving after the RR tire shed it's tread. Once I took the wheel off, I could see where the outer belts came away fairly cleanly from the steel belts. In fact, the exposed surface of the steel belts was nicely polished from driving home on them.[B)]

I found a date code on the sidewall and it was July of 2001. This seems right as I remember buying them a few weeks after 9/11. They have gobs of tread left on them - the three that still look good anyway.

Well, I'm going back with blackwalls this time - more a consideration of price than appearances. I AM going to change wheels tho. I've had this set of 15X6 steel wheels (from a '75 Lincoln Town Car) lying around here for a dozen years or so. Tried to GIVE them away to Stude truck folks several times since they will fit the goofy-faced brake drums that our 1/2ton trucks wear. Guess I'm thankful no one ever took me up on the offer!
    I had the tire shop strip the rotting radials off the wheels and I brought them home to clean and paint. I took them back today, but got there too late for them to order up the tires I'd decided upon, so it'll be Monday before they're mounted on these "new" wheels.
    I noticed these wheels have Kelsey and Canada stamped inside them. I painted them bright silver and I'm gonna run 59-63 Stude car full disc wheelcovers on them. Photos Monday.

BTW, the tread did more damage to the RR fender than I realized initially. I HAVE a decent replacement, but I'm thinking about getting a pair of the glass repops. Anyone used these yet???

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Bob,

Would Bob Peterson have steel ones in his yard?

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

How about a pic of the new wheels? My granddad has a set that he thinks came off a Lincoln, and they do fit a 1/2 ton Stude truck. Wonder if they're the same as yours. [?]

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I'm sure Peterson would have some wheels, however the original wheels are staring to get old (and maybe tired) now. I've got two or three sets of Stude truck wheels here myself - BUT.... those original wheels don't clear the Turner disc setup I'm running whereas the Lincoln wheels will.

Matt, once I get them back from the tire shop I'll take a photo. I wish I had a 5th one for the spare.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I'm sure Peterson would have some wheels...
          Bob,

I was asking about fenders, not wheels.[:0] [B)]

Decimal Dude (obviously one decimal off on that communication )

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Yeah - I'd thought about that too. I'm kinda curious about the glass ones tho. $200 and ready to paint.[]

BTW, does anyone know of fronts being made outta glass for C-cabs???

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

Comment

Bob, I just read where you'll be using wheelcovers... Your wheels must be different that my granddad's. I'd call them 'smoothies', and a wheelcover is not needed.

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Sorry to hear the body damage was worse than you thought Bob - that sucks.[xx(]

However, you know that Steve B. and I will both be very supportive of Pete sporting a new set of blackwalls! (Just like a good truck should) [^]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                May 23 & 24, 2009?
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

I like the whitewall look, Mark. It WAS a factory option as you probably know (WIDE whites, at that!). But I just want a different look this time. Yes, I know blackwalls seem to be less "dainty" in appearance, but I was happy with the whitewall/mag look that the Bridgestone - Riviera combo afforded. The steel wheels 'n wheelcovers will be a refreshing change. I'm going to try and add some color coordination to the covers so that they match the truck's scheme. Since I have to do another rear fender now anyways, I'm going to do what I'd originally planned to do with them. Flag Blue again, but with stars of different sizes that appear to be spinning off the tires. No more Studebaker script with (1852-2002) Too many dolts had to ask me if that was my Studebaker business phone number!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

Comment

[)]Bob, we used a pair of the fiberglass rear fenders from Classic Enterprise when we built up the short P1 bed for my son's '62 Champ. They look really great and no cracking or "crazing" yet....they've been on about 4 years now. We did undercoat them heavily to prevent gravel from flying up off the rear tire treads and "starring" the rear fender paint.[)]

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                    http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Old shoes...
                      [img] http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/309061.../Wheelsold.jpg [/img]

New shoes...
                      [img] http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/309061.../Wheelsnew.jpg [/img]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Comment

I've got 3 cents to my name, and I'll give you 2 of them. I like the all black a WHOLE lot better on a truck!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Much better! including the full 'caps.....if I do say so myself

glen
                          Nowhere, AZ
                          "Freedom Through Vigilance"

Comment

They look OK - all $319.50cents worth of them. 215X75-15s on '75 Lincoln Town car wheels of 6" width. Now to fix the right fender and bed panel.[V] I wanna put dual exhausts on it and have the oval tips of the pipes stick thru holes cut into the vertical face of that step bumper.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

Comment

Looks good Bob...[^] although I have always had a personal preference for the 16" wheels on the C-Cabs, sitting that little bit higher looks good on them (IMHO, of course!!).

<h5>Mark
                              '57 Transtar Deluxe
                              Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                              May 23 & 24, 2009?
                              </h5>
                              Mark Hayden
                              '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X