2008 Pure Stock Musclecar Drag Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Pure Stock Musclecar Drag Race

"KOOL R2" competitor Peter Sant suggested a reminder: For those of you who can squeeze it in, The 2008 Pure Stock Musclecar Drag Race is Friday, September 12 and Saturday, September 13, 2008; the weekend immediately before Lancaster. [8D][]

Team Studebaker will be there with both The Plain Brown Wrapper and The Stude Tomato. Richard "R1" Poe will be there with his terror-inducing R1/4-Speed 1963 Lark Custom 2-door, now routinely in the 14s as if it was supercharged...but it isn't[:0]!

We'll be arriving near Stanton Thursday afternoon, September 11, staying at The Edmore Inn in nearby Edmore MI, just up Wyman Road from The Mid-Michigan Motorplex. The Motorplex has a Stanton address, but is really northeast of the town proper.

There's a plus this year if you can make it only Saturday; there will be more practice time and the shootouts will last into the afternoon because promoters Dan Jensen and Bob Boden have rented the track for the entire day Saturday. Previously, the track had a Saturday evening schedule of their own and "we" had to vacate the premises by 3PM: NO MORE!

'Hope to see as many Studeophiles there as can make it.

Team Studebaker (Ted Harbit, George Krem, Bob Palma, Richard Poe, Peter Sant, etc, etc, etc.)
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I wish them good luck and I hope someone takes some pictures.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

We'll be there! We are staying at the Edmore Inn this year. I hope you guys keep it down in the hotel parking lot!! I know what a bunch of trouble makers TEAM STUDEBAKER is made up of!

See you folks on Thursday night.[8D]

Frank Remlinger
      SDC# A004602R
      Frank Remlinger
      Detroit, Michigan
      SDC# A004602R

Comment

Wish I was going this year but the International becons and can't do both

LANCASTER or BUST
        "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

We, meaning the Caskeys and ourselves, will be there on Saturday to cheer on the Studebakers. We are staying at the Mount Pleasant Comfort Inn. Hope eliminations will still be over by mid afternoon as we need to be in Lancaster Sunday afternoon.

Frank van Doorn
          1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
          1963 Daytona Conv
          1941 Champion R-2 Rod
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Bob, et.al., If I can only spend part of one day, what day and time frame would you recommend. Thanks, Bob

Comment

Bob know you are doing double duty and coming to Lancaster so PLEASEEEEEEE!!!!! take many pictures. I'll buy you a drink of your choice fo it in Lancaster. One of my Bucket list wishes is to not only come one year but to also run there.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

Bob, et.al., If I can only spend part of one day, what day and time frame would you recommend. Thanks, Bob

Then, around 11AM Saturday, the cars line up, paired off with who they will be competing against in the two-out-of three shootouts.

Round One of the shootouts will get underway about then, followed by Rounds Two and, if necessary, Three (for the pairings that weren't decided in two rounds.)

Bob (and everyone else): remember that this year the Saturday schedule is pushed back because of the all-day track rental. The "call to lanes" won't begin until after the official lunch break at 12:30pm. The racing isn't scheduled to start until 2pm (unlike the old schedule starting at 11:30 am). It looks like eliminations won't be done until almost 5:00pm. Also, [u]ALL</u> racers this year will be required to run [u]ALL THREE HEATS</u> regardless if they have already lost their 2 rounds. This way the paying customers get to see all the cars for the full three rounds.

Frank Remlinger
                SDC# A004602R
                Frank Remlinger
                Detroit, Michigan
                SDC# A004602R

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Frank. I didn't realize they had been moved that far back! All parties take note! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wish I could be there!

Someone please take some video and post it. Pictures just can't do an event like this justice.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

IF SDCer Larry Mitchell arrives from Missouri (he is planning on it), he will be video-taping it. Our Uncle Jerry Palma won't be going this year, but Larry has indicated he will be.

Larry is not on the Forum (at least I don't think so), so I'm not sure how we'll be able to make the video available.

(Come to think of it, I've got enough going on between this and Lancaster, so I'm going to let someone else think about the video project![:0]) BP

Comment

Thanks for the feedback all, Looks like I have time on Friday. It's only a 70 mile drive. Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                          so I'm not sure how we'll be able to make the video available.
                          If somebody sends me the video (email, snail mail or otherwise), I'll make it available on the internet.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Boy, I'd love to see that Maybe next year...

I think I could watch without getting drawn into a totally unfamiliar type of racing.......

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bob (and all) - I still plan on driving up Saturday to take photos. I cannot stay too late, as my son has football in the evening (family comes first). That means I will have to leave around 4:30 or so, but that should be enough to get many shots of all the Studebakers! I will see if I can find you, Bob, and we can set up some non-race shots, too.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                              1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Working...
                              X