PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned and... Ebay

KevinSheen
09-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Well, my Champ is still in Louisiana. Hopefully not under 6 Ft of water. I called PEG after a few emails and then she never got back to me. So... I went with a different broker. All this guy did was blow smoke up my wazoo. So my truck still sits. I'm back on the ship so I can't do anything until November. Such is life.
On another topic. I was amusing myself on Ebay and found a 62 Champ in a storage facility in Toledo, OH. Seller says its got a V-8 but he's not sure if 259 or 289. He also says that's the original engine. I say hoooeey. Vin # is E5-135126. He also says number on engine is 535601. I say this guy doesn't know what he has. I base my knowledge on you guys's knowledge. Everything I know about Studes, I learned here.
Last topic. Will the radiator from a 56 Power Hawk with a 259 fit my truck with a 289? Or is it too much trouble?

1963 Champ

2R5
09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
I have a '60 Champ and I used a rad shell out of a early Lark but I doubt a hawk type would fit . I think you probably could get away with a '58 sedan rad or even a later model Lark. Good luck with your truck

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/Champ-1.jpg
LANCASTER or BUST
"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
1964 Daytona HT

Dwain G.
09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
The 535601 number he gave is a block casting number used from 1955 through 1962. So the engine could be from any of those years.
A '62 Champ that was originally a V8 would be an E7 model. An E5 did start life as a six. That really isn't a problem though unless you must have 100% authenticity.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

bams50
09-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Kevin, shipping cars takes a long time. Brokers give a price, then put it out to the hauling community hoping someone takes the job. If nobody does after a period of time, the solution is to up the bid amount and try again. Sounds fishy, but that's how it works to get the best price. The more you're willing to pay, the faster it gets done.

Better luck next time you're ashore!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

railway
09-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Kevin, I'll be coming back through Louisiana, After the Nationals. I-10 If not to far off the route, I'd be glad to check on it for you.

Ebon...
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/bonjo12/CIMG0136-3.jpg

"I sweat to keep others cool"

KevinSheen
09-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Bams, Robert, I understand. Its just when I sign a contract for a certain date and it doesn't get done even close to that date...
Railway, Ebon, the truck is just over a mile off I-10 at exit 76 or exit 80. I can give exact directions if you want to check on it. despite the weeds growing up around her she's a good lookin' ol' gal. Thanks all. Kevin

1963 Champ

mjeansonne
09-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Kevin;

Haven't heard from you since forever!!! Figured you went back on ship and never returned!!:D

I'm back in Alexandria regularly now. We made it through Gustave without any real problems. What's going on and is there anything I can do for you in regard to the Stoogiebaker?

Mike

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

KevinSheen
09-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Hello Mike, How have YOU been?! The work keeps me pretty busy. the wife threw me out. The Stoogebaker got wrecked a couple years ago and has been sitting ever since. I moved back north where I belong. I've collected a lot of parts to fix the steering gear and found a guy locally up north who wants to do the work. So now I'm trying to find a way to get the ol' gal up north (the truck-- not the wife!)
Glad to hear Gustav was a non-event. My house made it through okay as well. Of course the truck is outside at a truck repair place in Crowley, bed's probably full of water, but other than that she should be alright. If Ebon gets back to me, I'll give him directions to the yard as he's going right by. Unless you have a reason to go to Crowley (does anyone ever really have a reason to go to Crowley?)
Good to hear from you. Anything new in the collection? Stay in touch my friend. Kevin

1963 Champ

mjeansonne
09-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Kevin;

Good to hear from you mon frer! We are keeping an eye on Ike now. Doesn't look good, it may head this way. We had a mini Katrina event here in Alexandria, Gus hung around and things flooded a good bit. We were lucky... no flooding.

No, no one has a reason to go to Crowley obviously, but if you need me to check on it, I don't mind. I didn't know you had a wreck in it. My truck is still in the process of being completion. I have the 700R4 behind the Stude engine, but haven't completed it. Dee wanted to work on the house and that led to us buying a house here in Alexandria. We still own the house at the lake, but its 20 miles away and I'm in the process of completing the Hawk. Putting in the interior as we speak and will be putting the chrome on at the same time... its going to be a killer!!!!!

Let me know if you need anything... including suing anyone here in Louisiana (hah):D I am no longer prosecuting for the State of Louisiana and am now back in private practice, again... so I'm drumming up business![:o)]

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

KevinSheen
09-07-2008, 12:31 PM
MIke, Ain't it funy how houses and wives take presidense. The vehicles sound like they're coming along nicely. Any chance of you post ing pictures here?
I'm watching Ike as well. I still own the house in Crowley. Know anyone wants to buy it? Apparently I have a small roof leak from Gustav, other than that no probs.
There is a killer '53 chopped with a Corvette engine on Ebay. I was amusing myself thee and found it by typing in Studebaker and its on the 3rd page down. $16200 is current bid. Gotta get to work. Take care and thanks for your kind offer, but I think I got it. Kevin

1963 Champ