PDA

View Full Version : seats for 53 Studebaker

wash100
09-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I live in Washington State and have been looking for a project car. I found a 53 four door but it doesnt have any seats and interior is shot. Will seats from any other model fit? This car is a big project, really would like a easier one.
Thanks,
Clyde

whacker
09-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm no authority on this, but I have heard that the late '80's Chrysler products fit pretty good. Others on this forum know better than me on this, though. Unless you really like it, I recommend another car, as the '53 sedans are excellent cars, but not considered very desirable. It will take the same amount of time and effort to restore as a more desirable model, and will most likely never equal it in value. Have you ever restored or hot rodded a car before? The basic rule is to start with the best example you can. Those of us who do restore the rust buckets know what we are getting into before we start. Money spent up front on the best example you can find of a desireable model will pay dividends later when the real work starts, and when the time come to send it on it's way to a new owner.

bams50
09-05-2008, 05:44 AM
I'm a huge "save 'em" fan, and a huge 4-door fan as well, but even I can't argue with whacker's advice; just be aware of that. Finished value isn't everything, but does bear consideration.

Same with starting with the best car you can afford. But if you do the work, it can still be cheaper to do a rougher car; you have the luxury of spending as much or as little money and/or time at a given point as you choose.

As for seats, most any will fit with enough effort. You might consider some that incorporate shoulder harnesses in the seat itself.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

lstude
09-05-2008, 07:12 AM
quote:Will seats from any other model fit? This car is a big project, really would like a easier one.
Thanks,
Clyde

Are you asking if any model Studebaker seats will fit, or any other make?

I think any 53 through 66 Studebaker 4 door sedan seats will fit.

And by the way, welcome to the forum!

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

wash100
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi,

yes i have restored several Studes back to drivers and i know about rust buckets being here in Washington state. I have heard the 53 Studes are not very good and your are right with starting out with a solid project. I want this one for myself as a driver. I have a very nice 64 Champ pickup. I lose money if I sell them. Thanks for the replys. I will try and find a decent Lark.

Clyde

StudeDave57
09-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Say, Clyde. If you're looking for something along the lines of that '53~ My Dad has a '54 Land Cruiser up there sorta near you. It's originally a California car, and has been garaged most of the time I've known it. She's mostly complete, but does need a bit of work. (don't they all?!?!)
He's also got several parts cars from about 1950 up through '65, and a few others that might make good projects for you.

Contact "StudeRich" if you're be interested...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
San Diego, Ca.
San Diego County SDC
www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
'57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
'55 PROTOTYPE panel van

bams50
09-05-2008, 04:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by wash100

Hi,

yes i have restored several Studes back to drivers and i know about rust buckets being here in Washington state. I have heard the 53 Studes are not very good and your are right with starting out with a solid project. I want this one for myself as a driver. I have a very nice 64 Champ pickup. I lose money if I sell them. Thanks for the replys. I will try and find a decent Lark.

Be careful, Clyde- all things being the same, you won't be any better off value-wise with a 4dr. Lark; maybe even worse off. The 53's probably more unique- and that's coming from a big Lark lover;)

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"