PDA

View Full Version : MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT PAINTING

Jimmie
09-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Any had experience with paint from a NAPA Store?

The Eastwood product called USC ALL METAL "looks good." The promo says it is ideal for restoration, offers sanding and filing properties similar to lead, and finally, "Excellent adhesion and rust proofing properties." Has anyone used it and found it to be such that I should insist on its use in restoring my car?

Jimmie

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/Jim%20Judy/Picture1.jpg
1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
I'VE SAVED SO MUCH DAYLIGHT THAT THERE'S NO DARK TO SLEEP IN ANYMORE!

52ragtop
09-02-2008, 11:07 PM
it's made by US Chemical, good product, but still a plastic filler, as long as BOTH sides of a repair are sealed, (primer, paint and undercoat on the backside) no moisture can get to the filler, it will be fine.

Jim

madmike
09-03-2008, 06:22 AM
NAPA is what used to be "genuine parts" stores. The paint dept is really no different from any other paint supplier albeit the paint will be branded w/ NAPAs' brand, and be probably (I said probably) be more expensive than similiar products elsewhere. And like everybody else, they'll have a good, better, and best for each type of paint. The most important part of any brand you choose is that he uses one brand exclusively. i.e. same brand paint and its' reducer. The paint engineers are picky about mix-and-matching their products w/ others.

Don't talk about what you are going to do,... talk about what you have DONE.

Studeman
09-03-2008, 08:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jimmie

Any had experience with paint from a NAPA Store?

My local NAPA uses Sherwin Williams automotive paint rebranded as NAPA. I'm not sure this is consistent throughout the country.

The Eastwood product called USC ALL METAL "looks good." The promo says it is ideal for restoration, offers sanding and filing properties similar to lead, and finally, "Excellent adhesion and rust proofing properties." Has anyone used it and found it to be such that I should insist on its use in restoring my car?

I use it A LOT!!! It is great for filling pinholes in floors, etc. I use it as the first filler around patch-panels. As Jim says... ALL Bodyfillers (even fiberglass) absorb moisture to an extent. You must coat any bare metal with the appropriate EPOXY primer BEFORE using any fillers. It is far too expensive (4x Plastic filler)to use all over- and it really isn't needed. It is great for rebuilding edges and re-making body lines, as it is much harder than regular fillers.

http://www.ncsdc.com/TEMP/azavatar.gif
Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

fmarshall
09-03-2008, 12:12 PM
The Genuine Parts Company, aka NAPA (National Auto Parts Association) has company stores, as well as a distribution network that services independently owned stores that fly the NAPA flag.

Paint at the GPC NAPA stores is Martin-Senour Paint, a branded Sherwin Williams product.

From the Sherwin Williams site:
Sherwin-Williams manufactures and sells labeled architectural coatings, industrial finishes and associated supplies through company-owned stores. We also manufacture and sell coatings such as Dutch Boy ®, Pratt & Lambert ®, Martin-Senour ®, Dupli-Color ®, Krylon ®, Thompson's ®, Duron ® and Minwax® plus private label brands to independent dealers, mass merchandisers and home improvement centers. In addition, we produce coatings for original equipment manufacturers in a number of industries and special purpose coatings for the automotive aftermarket.

========================
63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
Martinez, CA
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/fmarshall_bucket/sigpic.jpg