New one on me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New one on me

I've been fighting with my R2 GT for a few days. It had been not getting gas to the engine and I had to limp home a few times by pumping the gas to keep it running. Tried all the usual stuff and the fix would last for a mile or so, then no gas.
    Oddly, every time I would check fuel flow by cranking the engine, everything seemed fine. I finally pulled the rebuilt pump off the engine and pulled it apart. I found a 1/2 square piece of what appeared to be weather stripping rubber in the bottom valve chamberc! My best guess is then when N8 or me rebuilt the pump we sat the part down over the scarp rubber piece that was laying on the bench, picked it up and installed it with the rubber stuck in the chamber.It probably floated over to the outlet and plugged it only with the engine running.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

LOL! Harkens back to that "rebuilt" fuel pump I bought from a local auto parts store about '76 or so. It was all shiny and clean-lookin' - it just didn't pump anything. Took it apart and found it was full of glass beads!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I had a 68 Chrysler years ago that drove me nuts with the same symptoms. Turned out to be a grasshopper was floating around in the tank and finding it's way into the open pickup pipe. Thankfully it happened to stay in the pipe, head-first, when Ipulled the pickup unit.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

John are you sure that rubber isn't from the inside of a deteriorating hose?

Comment

Nope, it's clearly a piece of foam weatherstripping and too big to pass into the pump inlet.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I purchased an NOS '57 GH fuel pump- and showed the vendor that it would not pump (gotta check a 40 year old pump don't ya?).. so I got it at a reasonable discount.
            I disassembled it at home, and found they had installed both the valves in the same direction... reversed the incorrect valve- and the pump works fine...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
            Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
            Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Grasshopper over the pickup (outlet) from the tank, huh. Well I'll add my story in the "duh" category--although THIS time it wasn'y my shortcoming that caused the problem. Seems like my car would run fine and occasionally quit for no reason. Pulling the tank I discovered floating in the tank a paper (sometimes foil is used) seal as is used under the cover of a can of gas additive. Now I'd call that pretty stupid (although I guess it COULD be an honest mistake) for someone to do that and then not assume responsibility for it and remove the tank and retrieve same. Course I'm talking about the former owner. Then........I'd better tell one on myself. Late one night (and I was tired) on putting a Chevy back together from a complete teardown I had the rotor in my hand and wanted to install it in the distributer--didn't have a phillips screwdriver handy at the time so I just set the rotor in place on top of the distributor shaft intending to attend to the screws later. So far fine.......but when later came forgetting that I hadn't tightened the screws I put the cap on the distributer. Car ran fine until up to about 3,500 rpm when the roter lifted off the top of the distributor shaft and kinda tore the plastic pieces into smaller pieces (that is the rotor and cap).

wagone

Comment

Working...
              X