PDA

View Full Version : This Wagonaire looks like an honest buy

08-30-2008, 10:21 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110282388569&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:MOTORS:1123

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

N8N
08-30-2008, 10:29 AM
there's some weird stuff on that car... like whatever electrical thing is above the A/C - controls for aftermarket remote mirrors? Also appears to have been repainted, although I'm sure most have been. check out the clock in the clock delete plate too...? That said I'd still be tempted if it were close by.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

StudeDave57
08-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Also note the gear selector- and the odd (for a Stude) location of of the gears- especially reverse...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
San Diego, Ca.
San Diego County SDC
www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
'57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
'55 PROTOTYPE panel van

65cruiser
08-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Ended at $2500. Looks like somebody got a decent buy.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
www.65cruiser.com

http://www.65cruiser.com/images/studewordy.jpg

bams50
08-30-2008, 11:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by N8N

there's some weird stuff on that car... like whatever electrical thing is above the A/C

I believe that was a factory recall that addresses several issues these cars had:

*The two switches in the middle do indeed address customer demand for power mirrors, which was huge on most all Studebakers.

*The button was a backup for those ignition switches that tend to come loose and fall down behind the dash.

*When the lights quit because the wires on the dimmer switch broke off, you could quickly hit the "lights" switch to get home.

*When the rear quarters fill with water from the leaking top, you hit the "pump" switch to empty them out. Also had lines into the overhead channels.

*Emergency- for when the tapered axles snap off. Doesn't help the situation, but makes you feel like you're doing something.

*Oh yeah- the one to the far left raises a rabbit cage in the back, since mostly rabbit breeders bought the Wagonaires. In true Studebaker fashion, somebody incorrectly printed the label to say "dummy" instead of "bunny".

At least that's what I heard from a guy whose father-in-law knows all about Studes;)

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

08-30-2008, 12:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

quote:Originally posted by N8N

there's some weird stuff on that car... like whatever electrical thing is above the A/C
I believe that was a factory recall that addresses several issues these cars had:
*The two switches in the middle do indeed address customer demand for power mirrors, which was huge on most all Studebakers.
*The button was a backup for those ignition switches that tend to come loose and fall down behind the dash.
*When the lights quit because the wires on the dimmer switch broke off, you could quickly hit the "lights" switch to get home.
*When the rear quarters fill with water from the leaking top, you hit the "pump" switch to empty them out. Also had lines into the overhead channels.
*Emergency- for when the tapered axles snap off. Doesn't help the situation, but makes you feel like you're doing something.
*Oh yeah- the one to the far left raises a rabbit cage in the back, since mostly rabbit breeders bought the Wagonaires. In true Studebaker fashion, somebody incorrectly printed the label to say "dummy" instead of "bunny".
At least that's what I heard from a guy whose father-in-law knows all about Studes;)

Actually, the guy had one thing right. There are drain lines (tubes) from the roof channels- one in each rear quarter and one in each door pillar ("B" pillar?). And, I could have used a pump in mine when one of the quarter panel drains got plugged (kept hearing sloshing and when the carpet got wet, I took off the inside panel to find a small lake).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

JBOYLE
08-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Power mirrors on a Studebaker?

Heck, back in the day you were lucky to have any mirrors...(as I'm reminded every time I drive my Avanti with no exterior right side and useless interior rear-view mirror.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

studeclunker
08-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Nice looking car. Has few rust problems, but hey, it's on e-bay! It's shiney, it's pretty, it sold. Here I have a sound Daytona wagon and no-one wants it for one quarter the price! Go figure...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

bams50
08-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Ron, don't forget this one runs, drives, and stops! For starters, that saves about half the shipping cost. Also, this one's in the middle of the continent, drastically cutting shipping for lots of buyers. And, showing the car in a driveway appearing ready to drive is a huge psychological tool. Add to that a currently usable interior, and all that adds up to a wanted- and sold- car!

Get yours running, cleaned up, sitting right and looking complete, and pose it in a nice setting, and I'll bet a dollar yours will do as well as this one did!

(Well, you did say "go figure", and that's what I came up with!;))

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"